Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-30-WWF-Summerslam] Rick & Scott Steiner vs Heavenly Bodies

Loss

• 3 months later...

I kinda like the Bodies WWF theme music.

This was an AWESOME tag. Felt a little rushed, but they made great use of the time. One of the best WWF tag matches I have ever seen, honestly, in terms of hot tag cut offs, exciting offense and crowd heat. Glad this made the set.

I kinda like the Bodies WWF theme music.

Random fact, it was originally Jim Neidhart's theme when he went solo in 1991. That's why your hear those hammer hitting an anvil sounds. Then it was used for the short lived New Foundation with Jim & Owen, then for Owen solo before he got hooked with Koko B Ware. I thought it was lame the Bodies didn't get to have an original theme. Reeked of WCW.

This was an AWESOME tag. Felt a little rushed, but they made great use of the time. One of the best WWF tag matches I have ever seen, honestly, in terms of hot tag cut offs, exciting offense and crowd heat. Glad this made the set.

I think it was rushed a bit, but as far as action goes, it was clearly one of the best tag of the 90's in the WWF. The Bodies were just great in this, too bad the Steiner didn't give them a little bit more.

• 2 years later...

I think the recycled music theme fits the Bodies perfectly. Todd Pettengill interviews Steiners mom and sister before match and make a comment about not being able to tell them apart. Steiners sister pulled a Cosmo Kramer and fell asleep in the tanning bed. Cornette wearing a neck brace selling his injury in SMW. Best match of the Summerslam card. May have been the strongest the Bodies were in their WWF run. Really good action and Bodies were able to get over with crowd for a mostly unknown team.

• 2 weeks later...

As an Ohio State fan I could listen to Heenan rag on the University of Michigan all day long.

This was a fantastic blend of the Steiners' bomb-throwing and Southern tag wrasslin'. The Bodies are so versatile it's absurd--they can take all the Steiners offense, they can match them big move for big move, and they know how to stooge and how to properly structure a crowd-pleasing tag match. Some really great transitions here, like Del Ray baseball sliding under Scott allowing Dr. Tom to bulldog him--and Scott's comeback that starts when he counters Del Ray's crucifix spin DDT move. The crowd was going to be hot no matter what considering the hometown boys involved, but the Bodies despite not at ALL fitting the WWF Look of the time (or any other time) actually made you think they were going to steal the belts at certain points. They deserved to go farther in the company than they did, but this ended up being their peak.

• 1 year later...

Really fun sprint that gets the crowd going and makes the Steiners look incredible and the machines they could be. The Bodies also look effective here as they turn things around and provide some really good offense. This mixed in with a hot crowd makes it a really good showcase for both teams and the kind of match that can flesh out a show and make it memorable. ***1/4

• 5 months later...

This match is shown on the 9/25 episode of SMW TV which I have just got to on my viewing. Real nice touch of continuity, with Cornette wearing the neck brace to sell the piledrivers he was on the receiving end of from Bob Armstrong at the K-Town Showdown.

• 9 months later...

This was a run-of-the-mill ​SNME​ match two tears late. Greatest WWF tag ever? Not in the top five hundred. I never felt that the Steiners were in danger. Sure the Bodies got some offense in, but they look a thousand times better in SMW on their worst day there. This was a favor given to Corny so he would agree to manage Yoko, and it felt like it.

If anything, this was notable for the prematch stuff and Corny's ringside work, which was much better than this match deserved. I loved his rant about secret strategy meetings ending with "Do you want me to have an aneurysm?" That was a great line, and Corny looked so flustered that you thought it was really possible that he would, right there on pay-per-view. About the only thing he didn't do was take a bump for Rick or Scotty, and that was because he needed to be in good shape for the main event.

Vince tried to get into the spirit of the occasion, God bless him, but calling every lift that isn't under the crotch a suplex doesn't make you seem any more intelligent about wrestling, no matter what he may think. After a while, we were back to "Whatta maneuver!" for everything but the Frankensteiner. He also didn't really acknowledge Corny's injury, claiming somewhat facetiously that Corny was wearing his brace as a result of a mosquito bite on the side of his neck. What was the matter with giving Bullet Bob a brief plug, especially since everything else about the Bodies' time in SMW was being acknowledged?

Heenan never really got warmed up, either. His fawning over Corny was more than a bit tiresome by the end, and most of the rest of his schtick (the Bodies being ahead on points, the color of the University of Michigan being yellow, etc.) felt totally predictable. I'm just not digging him on this card. He doesn't sound impaired, and he's still pretty quick, but his material is finally starting to show its age. Of course, he's still miles better than either Savage or Lawler. (Speaking of whom, where was​ Randy? In my mind's eye, I see him in Luger's "victory" celebration, but why would Vince fly him in for that and not put him in the booth?)

Pettengill's going to be a real pill (rhyme intended). Todd, my friend, it's generally not cool to practice your stupid throwaway standup lines on wrestler's parents who may not even be totally smart to the business. Did you notice Mrs. Steiner's reaction to his line about the Frankensteiner? It's like she wasn't even sure what such a thing was. The sister calling Rick Rob was understandable under the circumstances, but I'm wondering if either one of them understood what they were seeing. They sure didn't sound like they'd been fans for long, if they were at all.

I loved the fans breaking out in a "Let's Go Blue!" (for Michigan) chant when Rick and Scotty were on offense. This was before the days when the crowd was as produced as the wrestlers and broadcasters were, and Vince either didn't know what the chant was or didn't want to acknowledge it, since it involved an institution outside of his universe. I suppose we should be lucky that he acknowledged their background at all and sounded like he knew what he was talking about while he did it.

Line of the Night goes to Heenan, as the Steiners clean house following the hot tag to Rick: "Mrs. Steiner just gave her daughter a clothesline! They're all nuts!"

As an aside, I much prefer "Frankenstein" as a theme for the Bodies. I know why they couldn't use it in the WWF, but it still fits them better than any theme that the WWF could have used for them.

• 4 weeks later...

Pete, I liked you so much until I found out you were a Buckeye fan. I went to the University of Michigan, BABY! GO BLUE!

WWF World Tag Team Champions Steiner Brothers vs Heavenly Bodies - WWF Summerslam 1993

"University of Michigan, anybody could graduate from there" - Bobby The Brain Heenan, I know all too well, Brain, all too well. I popped for that line.

Summerslam 1993 emanates from the Palace of Auburn Hills, Michigan so the Steiners are decked out in the Maize & Blue of the University of Michigan. Loved the Lets Go Blue chants for the Steiners on multiple occasions throughout this match. I watched this match about 4-5 years ago and loved it. Loved it just as much this go around. Awesome Southern sprint! This would not feel out of place at all in Crockett or WCW. The Bodies carry the torch for Midnights so well with the fun spots and cool, innovative offense.

Bodies jump the Steiners before the bell. They try to isolate Rick by keeping Scott outside the ring, but eventually Scott gets in and opens a can of whoop ass. Suplexes galore, monkey flip and Steinerlines from Rick! Really fun shine see the Steiners do what they do best throw muthafuckas around and hit em hard. Scotty seemed to be pumped to be wrestling in Michigan. LOVED the transition to the heat with Del Rey ducking under Scotty's legs and Dr. Tom comes flyin in with a bulldog. Del Rey was a monster in this heat segment. Somersault off the apron on Scotty and then a beautiful DDT and followed up with his sleazy little dance. HELL YEAH! The Steiners are not the greatest at selling but the Bodies make up for it with great offense and heel tactics. Del Rey gets cute and tries for the DDT again, but Scotty has seen this movie before and chucks him over the shoulder. Then sends Dr. Tom flying with a Tiger Bomb. Rick cleans everyone's clock with Steinerlines. Tons of hot nearfalls here with Rick's bulldog, Pritchard's tennis racquet shot getting over huge. Loved the moonsault by Del Rey (he rocked!) hitting Tom and then Scotty snapping off a Frakensteiner. Awesome, bomb throwing sprint. LOVED THIS! LETS GO BLUE! ****

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-30-WWF-Summerslam] Rick & Scott Steiner vs Heavenly Bodies