Pro Wrestling Only

[1993-08-30-WWF-Summerslam] Lex Luger vs Yokozuna

Loss

• 3 months later...

Last few minutes. Not much to say here except this was an incredibly dumb finish. Luger wins by countout, apparently not aware after wrestling for 8 years that the title doesn't change hands on a countout, and celebrates like it's the biggest win of his life.

• 1 year later...

Not having seen any of this stuff since 93, and even then, having missed a lot of it when it happened, I was under the impression that the whole Lex Express stuff was a terribly thought out, mismanaged, horribly executed, bomb.

I know as a kid I didn't get how they expected us to buy that one day he was the Narcissist talking in a funny voice and wearing a cape and having a mirror and the next day he was USA Lex.

Actually having watching the TV, I'm not entirely sure how they could have done it better. It was tremendously well done. They really stacked the deck in the favor of the angle and I think they should get a ton of credit for it because it really did have a high level of difficulty

That said, obviously they blew the payoff.

• 1 year later...

They probably should have thrown somebody else at Yokozuna at Summerslam. Trying to think of who that would be. What was the original planned opponent for Yokozuna in the first place? Hart/Hogan was booked as probably the main event of the show until Hogan backed out. Maybe should have been Undertaker since he would have saved face anyways with some type of count out/disqualification. Luger got pushed so quickly and heavily after July 4th that having him face Yoko right away at Summerslam there was little choice but to put the WWF title on him. You keep Luger away from Yoko as long as possible and build him up more slowly that it pays off much better later on. I think it was going to be a struggle with Bret though as the fans were more endeared to him. Luger takes out both Fuji and Cornette and then KO's Yokozuna who gets knocked out cold to the outside. Awful finish with Luger being well aware this was his only contractual chance at title match against Yoko but he settles for a count out victory. They rush a celebration with guys coming out trying to ignore that Luger didn't actually win the title.

If I remember correctly, they had a brief house show resurgence in this time (at least by the standards of a really tough time for the company), and Vince made the call that because of that, they could hold off on Lex's big win for the next time that houses started to fall.

Speaking of house show attendances for this time, I couldn't help but notice that Hogan and Beefcake at the Boston Garden only drew 3,500 on June 26th. Down from 5,800 for Flair/Hart in January and 6,000 for Hart & Perfect vs Ramon/Luger in March. There is the drop for Hogan before picking up slightly (4,800) for Hart/Yokozuna in September. People were not excited for Hogan's return. Bret/Shawn get questioned as draws but not sure anyone would be drawing in WWF/WCW during this time period.

• 2 weeks later...

Certainly heated--this was a really loud crowd almost all night. For all the attempts at turning the Narcissist into a humble everyman, we get Luger heroically cheating by taking off his forearm pad and cold-cocking Yokozuna with his forearm. In the end, it's all simply Hogan's "I can do anything cuz I'm the babyface" act all over again, except I don't think Hogan would be stupid enough to beat up managers while his one and only chance at winning the title lies unconscious on the arena floor. Of course Luger and McMahon don't seem to notice or care that the title doesn't change hands, and they and the other babyfaces treat this like a Super Bowl victory while Heenan vainly attempts to bring some sanity to the proceedings.

I've gone on and on about how much I hated this push at the time, and I'll try to wrap up the Cool Story Bro Memory Lane act. But before I do...I was so pissed off at the phony attempt at this Luger mega-push, and yet I felt even MORE ripped off when after all of this, they still don't have the guts to pull the trigger and put the belt on him. I really, truly could have accepted Luger as triumphant babyface champ at that point, but when they swerved us with the countout finish I didn't give a shit where they went with it next, I simply felt like the previous two months were entirely a waste of time. It still feels that way--the WWF was booking to a devoted hardcore audience, because that was pretty much all they had left. And that devoted hardcore audience already knew of Luger's reputation as a title match choker. Now he was definitively established as the Buffalo Bills of wrestling.

Attendance spikes and TV ratings going up...whatever. Someone's free to correct me but I don't recall Hulk Hogan coming in and having to spend 6 months "chasing" the Iron Sheik before winning the title, nor do I believe Bruno Sammartino had to deal with months of bullshit finishes while chasing Stan Stasiak. Rethinking and altering your booking philosophy is admirable--necessary, even, at this point. But giving a new babyface the biggest push in company history and not pulling the trigger ASAP was simply too much for most WWF fans to handle. If you want to tie a rocket to the guy, don't "save it for the right time"--fucking do it. Seems most of the time the "right time" doesn't ever come to pass.

EDIT: As I was typing all that up during the celebration...Vince with the quote of the night: "YOKOZUNA'S THE WINNER!" That will get the WON award for Freudian Slip of the Year.

• 1 year later...

Cornette's outfit is awesome here. This does have great heat and I am conflicted as to what to do. i think this was the old school Titan booking philosophy colliding with the changing of the times. Looking at the history of the promotion, almost assuredly Luger would have went over here whether he was ready or not. However, giving the nature of the surrounding stuff with the decline in popularity, the incoming litigation, and the prospect of what Yoko could become created a situation where they were locked into having to make a difficult choice. Instead they decide to compromise and end up costing Luger his overall career. I don't know whether his ridiculous cheering was his encouragement or the company but Im holding a lot of the company responsible for the confetti, wrestlers coming out, and Vince screaming on commentary. We just saw a cleverly done cop out finish so that makes this all the more sour when watching. This show was solid all around but it ends with a thud here.

• 1 year later...

Yeah, Luger really looked the fool here. He never even tried to get Yoko back in the ring, which ruins the impact of the big forearm. I didn't see him remove his pad, but if he did, that's even worse. You ignore the main sttipulation of the match (aside from this being your one and only shot at the title, of course) and then don't try to follow up on it? Just how dumb are you really​, Narcissus?

As I've said before, regardless of who reported it, I don't believe the "We were waiting for the houses to tank" story for a second. Vince knew even as he was having his verbal fit at ringside that Luger was never going to be champion no matter what. If he was really setting up Luger to win the belt, why not headline the house shows with him and Yoko in a cage, or with Fuji/Corny banned from ringside, or in a lumberjack match? Make sure that the fans know that Luger's still chasing Yoko by having Tunney disallow in some way the "only one shot" stip. I can't figure out quite how, but there needed to be rematches in every market throughout the fall, with a Luger team victory at Survivor Series and a clean Royal Rumble win thrown in. Then, have Luger take one last shot at Mania X and beat Yoko once and for all.

Of course, that never came close to happening, none of it. Instead, Luger went on to feud with Ludwig Borga, that devastating threat from America's mortal enemy, Finland. That wouldn't have been a good title program, and it sure as hell didn't make any sense when Luger didn't ​have the title. It's almost impossible to figure out what they should have done instead; Bret-Lawler was too hot not to blow off, and Taker-Gigante needed to happen for whatever reason. If I'd been Vince, I might have kept Hogan happy for a while longer and had him win the belt for the fourth time here. If you're going to give someone the Hogan push anyway, why not the man who defined it? What happens after that I don't know, and what Luger does if he's still the Narcissist I also don't know. I guess the endgame is Bret going over clean at Mania X, but if Hogan balked at doing the job here, would he do it at Mania, and at MSG (where it all began for him) to boot?

Nice touch by Corny in selling what I presume were injuries given to him by Bullet Bob back home in SMW. That's something I don't see Lawler (or Bret, for that matter) doing.

I loved Heenan nearly having a stroke yelling "HIPLOCK! HIPLOCK!" after Luger slammed Yoko. I've never heard him go quite that crazy before, and that's what made it so memorable. His broadcast partner could definitely take a lesson from that, but we all know he won't. Bobby was also great begging for someone to help Yoko and Fuji, and we needed him to remind us that Luger hadn't really accomplished anything, confetti and Vince's verbal orgasm notwithstanding. Vince, of course, no-sold the whole business. I still maintain that someone wised him up to what happened when Luger was WCW champion, and that he may have even done the whole celebration as a way of telling Luger, "See, this ​is what you could have been for years if I'd trusted you!" Whether he ever told Luger that, or whether Luger ever figured it out on his own, I have no idea, but you can't convince me that Vince didn't know he was killing Luger's chance to be on top forever. This was too well thought out not to be a "screw you" moment, period.

(Just to be clear, I don't think the finish was a Montreal-type screwjob. I'm just saying that he knew going into SummerSlam that Luger was never going to be his champion, no matter what the dirtsheets may have reported.)

I forgot to say that I missed the whole "Yokozuna's the winner!" bit. I think Pete may have misheard, because I don't recall Yoko's name being mentioned by anybody but Heenan during the celebration except in terms of a possible rematch.

I forgot to say that I missed the whole "Yokozuna's the winner!" bit. I think Pete may have misheard, because I don't recall Yoko's name being mentioned by anybody but Heenan during the celebration except in terms of a possible rematch.

It's there. Heenan chimes in with "Yes! And he's still got the WWF title!" and keeps ranting.

Corny also had the neckbrace on during their appearance on Regis & Kathy Lee that morning, referring to some trouble he's having down in Knoxville. The real problem here is Yokozuna just cannot do a long main event match. It's amazing really he was able to do as much as he could but there was a morbid fear watching him out there after more than like 6 minutes.

• GSR changed the title to [1993-08-30-WWF-Summerslam] Lex Luger vs Yokozuna