Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-01-19-UWA] Pegasus Kid & Negro Casas vs El Hijo del Santo & Villano III

Loss

• 3 weeks later...

Kind of odd to see Benoit led by anyone in the ring, but Casas is clearly leading him through double team spots. Benoit also seems to be really pulling his stuff for fear of working too stiff. Odd. The Santo/Casas sequences are outstanding. Santo looks good, but again Casas is the reason they come together. Benoit and Casas kinda blindside Santo and get a quick, easy first fall win, but Santo comes back and finishes off Casas with a surfboard in the second fall, the highlight of which is Villano III punching Casas in the face while he's in the surfboard position. Casas missing the cartwheel-to-jumping elbow spot is awesome, and then Santo catches him with a stunningly graceful dive outside. The finish sees Villano pin Benoit after Benoit misses a diving headbutt from the top rope.

Good match, but kind of uneven depending on who is in the ring.

Side note: Jericho looks way better in Mexico than Benoit, if this match is any indication.

It depends how you define "looking good". He shows up in 1995 (?) in a match with Dandy, I think Silver King, maybe El Texano? He looks incredible on the one hand, his execution was at its peak (pretty much as crisp as any wrestler has ever been), but it also looks completely out of place. I never got anything out of his matches with Villano, though. I'd have to revisit some 1991, early-92 stuff to see where he was then, but he's clearly there by the time his August match with Liger rolls around and he's dictating the whole thing and looking great in doing so.

As for Santo vs. Casas; it's only notable when it doesn't look great, right? I don't think anyone has come close to making Santo look as good. Even when he had Panther and Eddy catching him, I always thought Casas was on another level.

I am a big fan of I believe it was 4 of the Villanos vs Benoit matches. They helped maked me into a fan of VIllano III and Villano IV. The mask vs mask match was a brilliant bout but only once I realised what was going on which I thank Ray for. The 92 match I love but it should be noted that a lot of it is not shown. Their first match was constructed well with a combiantion of NJPW and lucha libre. 9/26/92 against Villano IV is definitely reccomended too. All matches had a different feel to them.

I kind liked the Santo/Benoit section even though it was very short. Santo and Casas like Loss said were incredible in this match. Just so fluid and fast and Santo's dives were amazing.

Benoit was in CMLL in 94 as I got a Benoit in Mexico comp a couple years ago. He was with Rayo, Vampiro, Haku and I think King and Texano. He wasn't horrible but yeah he kinda looked like he didn't want to hurt anyone.

Like I said earlier, Tim, "not wanting to hurt anyone" wasn't my recollection of them. I remember him working as he normally would, the same snap suplex and back suplex etc and they looked out of place in Mexico. He looked great, but it shot down any argument about his "versatility". Structurally, yes, he fell right in, but as far as working actual "lucha" sequences, no.

• 1 year later...

If this is any indication, much like Casas never seemed to find a grove working Japan (at least based on the matches of his I've seen) Benoit has the same issue in Mexico. Of course, it would also be another coupe of years before Benoit found his grove and became a bad mofo. But just watching Benoit, Casas, and Santo in the same match is somewhat surreal 20 years later.

• 5 months later...
  • 4 months later...

I honestly think this holds up as a very good gateway match for lucha novices, at least if they're willing to watch a Benoit match. Lots of hate between Santo and Casas, and it's based more around that and big dives rather than matwork or their exhibitiony UWF stuff. Plus there's some Southern-style cut-offs and FIP work sprinkled in. Benoit looked fine, and looking back on it now I think he stood out more than Villano III did. Villano's big contribution was biting and clawing at Casas as Santo held him up in the surfboard, which was cool but about the only thing he did that I can remember.

• 2 years later...

I think Benoit adapted very well to the lucha style while maintaining his own style as well. Most of his work is against Villano; in fact, you can pretty much split this match in half.

I found the two halves equal; Villano is clearly the more experienced worker, but Benoit figured out pretty quickly how to get over as a rudo, as evidenced by the mask untying spot he does with Villano in the third fall. I can't wait to check out their singles match later in the month. As for Santo and Casas, it's clear that there's an issue between them, and I see that they have a match coming up later in the month as well that's on the set. Santo's dive off the top onto Casas to take him out for good was absolutely breathtaking.

In short, lots of good action, plus some great workers to keep an eye on as the Yearbook progresses.

• 1 year later...

I liked this a good deal. Four huge names mixing it up with the bonus of Benoit being in there to differentiate. THis made me want to see a big apuestas match between Casas and Villano III more than anything else. I didn't think Benoit looked awful by any means but he is probably the least of the four guys in this match. His rudo mannerisms could have used a little work throughout. ***1/4 (6.7)

• 6 months later...

Benoit was the weak link, but that's not exactly a death sentence in this match. Villano III is no slouch and I think we all know that Santo and Casas are not easy guys to top. The rudos using a ton of cheating and double teams was a good way to go to get the first fall and threaten in the third. Santo and Casas really tore into one another and it was a blast to watch. I thought Villano showed some good fire against Casas and had some good "I can out-rudo you" moments against him.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-01-19-UWA] Pegasus Kid & Negro Casas vs El Hijo del Santo & Villano III