Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-05-15-FMW/UWA/WWA] Atsushi Onita & Mil Mascaras & El Hijo del Santo vs Negro Casas & Tarzan Goto & Giant Warrior

Loss

• 1 month later...

Bizarre match. You could call this a microcosm of the yearbook -- all these different styles side by side, and sometimes, you just don't know what to make of it! :)

The quality difference between Santo and Casas and everyone else is mind-boggling. And I do think some of the others were trying, they just couldn't hang at that level. I said he was in the running at one point, but Casas has to be the best in the world in '92 without a doubt. I love when he plays pinball for Mascaras, taking big bumps off of shoulderblocks. Onita seems caught off guard by the finish.

Not really a great match, but a fun one.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 7 months later...

Onita and Goto trading headbutts and juice to start is never a bad thing. The highlight the rest of the way were the Santo/Casas exchanges, which to no one's surprise were great, especially a Santo dropkick from the turnbuckle to the floor. The finish was really awkward, as everyone except Onita, Goto and myself were aware it even occurred. Fun but nothing uniquely special or memorable.

***1/4

• 3 months later...

Some fun stuff here. Onita and Goto came to work, and while they're not outstanding fits for the style they basically work against each other and that's always gold. Santo and Casas are incredible, with Santo doing some of the most gorgeous armdrags in wrestling history. Mascaras provides a few nice holds and no-sells a lot. Giant Warrior is tall. The ending was kind of WTF, to the point where I seriously wonder if everyone knew it was supposed to be 2/3 falls, because they worked this like a 1-fall match, and there are some spots where the non-Mexicans don't seem to know the usual lucha rules.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 years later...

A pleasant little oddity. I liked seeing the interpromotional pairings more than the others, but most of the real action happened between Goto and Onita for FMW and Del Santo and Casas for the luchadores, which I guess was for the best.

The second fall was almost too quick to catch. As Pete said, it's almost like they thought they were working a one-fall bout, only to be reminded by the ref that it was two out of three and they had less than a minute left to take it home. To their credit, they improvised a decent finish, but it was just too abrupt.

Someone should tell Mil not to wear a black mask when Casas is in the same bout. For a second, I got the two of them mixed up until I remembered that Casas doesn't wear a mask.

• 2 years later...

Certainly a dream tag team would be Goto & Casas. It was great to see them actually working together here.

Frankly, Mil in FMW in '92 would have been cool as the Sheik was there at the time. Onita & Mil vs Sabu & the Sheik in a street fight match.

This match reminds me of WAR's 6 man tag tournament. Random ass teams but, basic fun.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1992-05-15-FMW/UWA/WWA] Atsushi Onita & Mil Mascaras & El Hijo del Santo vs Negro Casas & Tarzan Goto & Giant Warrior
  • 3 months later...

There were times when this went absolutely nowhere.  And then there were the Santo/Casas exchanges, which were amazing.  Goto and Onita had some fun exchanges as well.  When the wrestlers in the ring are confused about what is happening it tends to take away from any kind of narrative though.  Fun moments and worth seeing once.