Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-08-08-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett / Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett vs The Moondogs

Loss

• 1 month later...

Jarrett and Lawler start off by congratulating Dave Brown on 25 years on Memphis TV and they show an old clip of Lawler and Plowboy Frazier being interviewed many years before. They transition to another clip at MSC, this time of another Jarrett/Lawler vs Moondogs match with Moondog Fifi's hair at stake. We get more of the match than usual, and the action is great!

• 2 weeks later...

Seemed like the Moondogs were always having miscommunication spots the later this feud goes. Kinda turned into a running gag.

From memory, I think it was at it's worse during the King Killer angle and the six-man where the Dogs teamed with the Killer at MSC.

• 1 year later...

Fifi was biting Lawler at some point. She was "biting" him really high on the inner thigh. This is more of straight tag match than the tornado rules matches we have seen earlier. One thing I noticed about the Moondogs when they do their miscommunication spots is once they hit their own guy they kind of just walk away and not try to break up the pinfall. Fifi gets her hair cut and starts chair swinging at everyone after. She has Lawler in the corner and is hitting him but he seems to be shrugging them off more than anything.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Memphis is the only live wrestling show left in the world--enjoy that while it lasts, guys. The babyfaces remark how dapper Dave looks, which is a stark contrast to Jeff Jarrett's "Macho Gooker" look. A clip follows that has me wanting to organize another cataloguing expedition.

Shovel shots aside, this is a much more traditionally worked tag match and the action is still good. Good finish as Lawler reverses a whip and Spike hits a Stop sign held by Fifi, and Fifi loses her hair, though it's more of an Adrian Adonis hack job. Lee still looks like Paul Heyman which is appropriately eerie on a number of different levels.

Lawler acknowledges that they didn't quite get a full shaving, and they aim to do it today if Fifi is in the studio.

• 1 year later...
  • 9 months later...

The best part of the segment was the old interview with Lawler, Sam Bass, Plowboy, and Dave "Herb Tarlek" Brown. Actually, Herb's suits were a bit louder, but Dave and actor Frank Bonner (who played Herb on WKRP in Cincinnati) could have passed for family at the time of the footage. On another note, Lawler mentions a title match against Tommy Rich. If memory serves, Sam Bass was killed in 1976. Tommy was in his early twenties when he beat Harley Race for the NWA belt in '81, so he must have still been a teenager here. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

As for the present-day stuff, talk about an anticlimax. If someone was going to get their heads shaved, I would have preferred it to be one of the Dogs, beard and all. They cut less of Fifi's hair than they did Lawler's back in '87, and that was just a buzzcut. This was a summer trim, nothing more. Even Adonis got more cut at Mania III, and he had Ed Leslie cutting him, not a supposed professional hair stylist. I get that they wanted to show Fifi refusing the cut, but they could have gotten more of her hair before she balked.

This feud may have been the only tag feud to start with tornado matches and end with an (almost) regular tag match. The Dogs worked well together, and I actually hope to see more of that kind of teamwork when we see them again, Lawler and Jeff completely whiffed on a hot tag; they didn't seem quite used to working regular tag matches (and why would they be, having worked tornado matches with the Dogs for the past six months?)

I'll be glad never to hear Corey and Richard going back-and-forth again. Okerlund and Heenan they ain't, particularly Corey.

Once and for all, was Fifi a man or a woman? She looked like a well-muscled woman, but it was hard to tell since we couldn't see her face.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-08-08-USWA-TV] Interview: Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett / Jerry Lawler & Jeff Jarrett vs The Moondogs
  • 2 years later...

The part of this that had me popping was the tribute to Dave Brown.  Along with Lance Russel one of my top 3 wrestling announcers of all time.  33 years later, congrats to Dave Brown on 25 years!  You could see that Jerry was pretty happy about paying tribute to Dave too, and why wouldn't he be.  He grew up watching the guy!

The more traditional tag threw me a little.  Since when did the Moondogs have that kind of self-control?