Pro Wrestling Only

Super Show - ECW Heat Wave '98

Grimmas

PWSS44.jpg

http://placetobenation.com/pro-wrestling-super-show-ecw-heat-wave-98/

Host: Steven Graham
Guests: Marc Clair (Lions of Liberty) & Glenn Butler (Wednesday Walk Around the Web)

The ECW crew is back going through all of the pay-per-views. We stop on the very famous Heat Wave ’98 this week. Does it live up to the hype?

After 10 days of no audio, it felt like it had been forever since I had heard Steven's voice. It was like some comfort food hearing it again. I think this crew has really begun to hit its stride and built chemistry with each other. I agreed with almost all of the points made here except I think I like this Bigelow vs. Taz match better than the one at Living Dangerously. Still, this is one of the better ECW PPV efforts from everything I have seen from the company.

As a hardcore ECW fan back in the day - I was at this show! - it's nice to hear a completely fresh take from first time viewers. Even though I've seen this show a million times, there's little stuff that I've missed, like Francine's one line of commentary or New Jack putting his blade away on camera. I was 16 at the time and drove to Dayton with my older brother and his friends, so between this and RAW the night after Survivor Series '98, my wrestling fandom pretty much peaked in terms of live events.

As badass as the matches are, I absolutely cringe when watching Awesome-Tanaka nowadays.

This was the only decent PPV from ECW in 1998, but there was lots of great stuff on TV scattered throughout the year.

Thanks for the feedback, it's always fun to get together with Marc & Glenn.

We have talked and after N2R '98 we will add in the year in review type shows that Parv & Chad do. 1998 will follow N2R and then the other previous years will be mixed in as we go along.