Pro Wrestling Only

Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard

This has quickly become a potentially interesting podcast to an, eh, it's going to be some back ground noise while I do some art.

I'm surprised no one has mentioned this yet, but I found it ironic that he ripped Tully on the podcast, saying why should anyone believe him since he was a Coke head, yet at the beginning, Bruce admitted to his own alcohol and drug usage (note: he said he'd tried Coke, but didn't like it, so never really used it).

The funniest thing about that latest podcast? For years, I thought it was a government witch hunt, but I never read anything about it (other than heard people talking about the testimonies and such), but after hearing him talk about it, it seemed like the WWF was shady as hell about it. I thought he came off horrible

• Replies 782
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he also overestimated the potential national interest in the trial if it weren't for OJ which was instant international top news. It didn't even make much of a dent in sports media, as I don't think Sports Illustrated's coverage ever went beyond the initial July '91 article.

I really hope it's true that the picture in Bruce's gov't file was the Brother Love trading card.

Just listened to the open and Bruce really lays into the dirtsheets pretty hard calling Meltzer and co the biggest marks going who have been "worked by the boys" for years, reserving special contempt for Bruce Mitchell.

I actually thought the much more interesting part than the idea that Vince was paying off Dave, was the idea that Dave has consistently put over his chief informats (Flair was the only one named, by Conrad pushing Bruce, but by implication that's also Ross and Cornette, among others) in exchange for information.

There might be a little bit to that actually. Dave seldom has a bad word to say about Flair in 80s and even into 90s. He seldom if ever criticises Jim Ross on commentary -- I've read through his coverage in of WCW in 1992 over the past year of WTBBPs, and Ross didn't have a banner year imo, but Dave never picks him up on anything. He generally sides with Cornette in his various contract disputes, etc. etc.

I think if there's any interesting point made by Pritchard in that opening diatribe, it's that. But it's all done by implication since Flair and Corny are right there as MLW stable mates. Who was Dave's inside guy at WWF?

This isn't really new though people have been saying this kind of stuff about Dave, especially in relation to Flair and Konnan, for a long time.

I think he also overestimated the potential national interest in the trial if it weren't for OJ which was instant international top news. It didn't even make much of a dent in sports media, as I don't think Sports Illustrated's coverage ever went beyond the initial July '91 article.

I really hope it's true that the picture in Bruce's gov't file was the Brother Love trading card.

The OJ trial was also months and months away, though Vince's trial was just a few weeks after the Bronco chase.

Just listened to the open and Bruce really lays into the dirtsheets pretty hard calling Meltzer and co the biggest marks going who have been "worked by the boys" for years, reserving special contempt for Bruce Mitchell.

I actually thought the much more interesting part than the idea that Vince was paying off Dave, was the idea that Dave has consistently put over his chief informats (Flair was the only one named, by Conrad pushing Bruce, but by implication that's also Ross and Cornette, among others) in exchange for information.

There might be a little bit to that actually. Dave seldom has a bad word to say about Flair in 80s and even into 90s. He seldom if ever criticises Jim Ross on commentary -- I've read through his coverage in of WCW in 1992 over the past year of WTBBPs, and Ross didn't have a banner year imo, but Dave never picks him up on anything. He generally sides with Cornette in his various contract disputes, etc. etc.

I think if there's any interesting point made by Pritchard in that opening diatribe, it's that. But it's all done by implication since Flair and Corny are right there as MLW stable mates. Who was Dave's inside guy at WWF?

This isn't really new though people have been saying this kind of stuff about Dave, especially in relation to Flair and Konnan, for a long time.
Yeah, I have always thought this was pretty obvious. "Ric being Ric" type of stuff.

I knew it was a good idea to skip the first 30 minutes. If he's got to vent about Meltzer & co. I understand but I don't have to listen to it either. But otherwise, this is probably the best wrestling podcast I've ever listened to. Got to admit I really underestimated Conrad when I heard him on Flair's show, and now I'll probably start listening to that soon too, now that I'm more endeared to his voice and knowledge. As for Bruce, I understand the complaint that he's still clearly loyal to Vince, but I look at it as an asset. In the whole realm of shoot interviews, and now podcasts, there are not that many guys who were on the creative level who didn't seem to still have as high much regard for Vince and WWE like Bruce does. I don't know the whole story of why he's gone from there now, but it appears that he wasn't screwed on his way out or anything else that shows any animosity towards the McMahons. I find that a little refreshing.

He did say he thought they would have only gotten about half of the building sold at one point, with no chance of filling it to capacity. I believe his rationale about the whole thing. I have no trouble believing that the Slaughter angle would have infuriated some crazies, which would have warranted stricter security measures that could have proven too costly for Vince to cover. I don't know about the whole thing about the gov't footing the bill for security at the Super Bowl, however. I'm quite sure the NFL could have paid for it themselves.

It's interesting that even after they went ahead with Slaughter being the guy to feud with Hogan, that they teased a Tugboat/Hogan feud a few times anyway. Hogan and Tugboat got into a skirmish at the Royal Rumble, with Tugboat eventually being dumped out by Hogan and the opposite happening on a Saturday Night's Main Event later that April.

This was the first episode where the dynamic started to bug me. Some of Conrad's interventions weren't welcome and some of the arguments seemed silly to me. Still gotta love the logic of "Iran is next to Iraq so ... It makes sense for Iron Sheik to love Saddam Hussein." I still think there is some vague insensitivity to just how offensive that is. My dad, who is Iranian, was on a ship that was bombed by Saddam Hussein in 1983, the ship sank and he had to swim through fire to survive. He lost his wedding ring and a pile of other stuff that was on board. Could have easily been killed that day. So y'know the idea of an Iranian just willy nilly becoming an Iraqi sympathiser is not some trivial thing. Didn't seem to occur to Conrad as the voice of modern outrage here.

He also seemed to be eating nuts or something during this. So this was the first Ep I didn't enjoy much.

There was a lot of detail skirted over: just as an example, Greg vs. Earthquake wasn't just two guys on a card randomly that was an actual feud. This is the sort of value I was hoping Bruce might add but they didn't get into any of it and instead pursued the stuff that has been discussed a million times.

So yeah, disappointing episode for me.

Yeah Conrad really came off like a prick, he thinks Bruce is going to remember every little detail of his life. Asking a bit much dont you think.

Flair also embarrassed him on his latest podcast about the WCW powerplant which I got a kick out of.

Yeah Conrad really came off like a prick, he thinks Bruce is going to remember every little detail of his life. Asking a bit much dont you think.

Flair also embarrassed him on his latest podcast about the WCW powerplant which I got a kick out of.

Yeah, I listened to the Chi-town commentary podcast and found it very disappointing. Very few references to the match unfolding.

Conrad really exposed his lack of knowledge this week comparing ECW & Houston Wrestling. The "if Houston would have just stayed running their little bingo halls" line was especially idiotic considering the Sam Houston Coliseum was a 10,000+ seat arena that had weekly wrestling.

• GSR changed the title to Something to Wrestle with Bruce Prichard