Dave Meltzer stuff

Loss

• Replies 9.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

--Lesnar at the press conference was very grateful about the wrestling people who came to the show, noting Dwayne Johnson (who put Lesnar over for his first title) and Paul Heyman (who is writing Lesnar's autobiography) who he gave credit to as the person who pushed Vince McMahon to put the rocket up his ass in 2002.

I can just imagine the slack-jacked bewilderment of a non-wrestling fan who reads that.

I love Meltzer, and can't think of a more mild-mannered, inoffensive man, but I'm embarassed for him when I see that photo. I think he'd be better off with his mullet back again, because that current haircut makes him look identical to Forrest Gump :(

Posted Image

Bizarro-world update. When uploading that pic (and tagging it as "Dave Meltzer looks like Forrest Gump") what is one of the two words that Captcha generates for me to fill in?

Posted Image

The next subject for the WON Shoot series was announced today and it is Bas Rutten. I knew it wouldn't be long before this would become the MMA shoot interview series.

It should sell though, I wonder what footage it will have on the extras. Bryan & Vinny commentating on MMA would be interesting!

Marc Mero is probably their next release.

Isn't a MMA shoot interview just called an interview?

The Pancrase questions will fulfil the quota ;)

On another Rutten he must be laughing his head off at Jerry Millen's latest misfortune with M1 Global.

Dave banging the ratings are meaningless for matchmaking drum again:

The issue is people who think ratings should determine matchmaking.

The discussion I had with Bryan was very similar to one I have with Joe Silva every third week. Not that there is anything wrong with ratings, but it's ridiculous to think they should be used as the template for matchmaking and when they aren't, it's somehow wrong.

Nothing wrong with ratings for fun, as long as you realize that they are "for fun."

Lesnar vs. Carwin didn't do 500 more buys because Fedor lost and now they were fighting for No. 1 instead of No. 2.

Dave should consider the consequence of replacing ratings with wins and losses in that paragraph, as MMA ratings are primarily based on wins and losses.

Speaking of the Observer shoot series, here's Bryan having to defend the first interview with Abdullah The Butcher:

Anyone who thinks I was not very good on this DVD, please go find me a better Abdullah interview.

Anyone who has read the Figure Four Daily blurbs knows that when an interview sucks, I don't sugar coat it. I don't deceive myself in terms of good interviews and bad interviews. When the Abdullah interview was finished, I did not sit there and think, "That was an all-time great interview." But it was an interview with Abdullah the Butcher, and based on his interview history and what other people told me about having interviewed him (Google the time Greg Oliver, who is a fucking GREAT historian, tried to interview him), I was very happy with it and understood that I got a hell of a lot out of him.

Interviewing is not easy, nor is interviewing Abdullah the Butcher. There is nothing better than people coming on this board and going, wow, it's too bad Dave wasn't there to call him on any of his bullshit. Yeah, that would have worked out great, a two hour interview with Abdullah the Butcher where someone decided they were going to call him on all of his bullshit.

Some guys when you interview them you can have a debate. Sometimes you can have productive arguments. Sometimes you just have to listen to a guy tell stories.

:lol:

There is nothing better than people coming on this board and going, wow, it's too bad Dave wasn't there to call him on any of his bullshit. Yeah, that would have worked out great, a two hour interview with Abdullah the Butcher where someone decided they were going to call him on all of his bullshit.

Funny because it's true.

Anyone watching an Abby shoot and expecting truth out of it really doesn't understand what they were getting into when they got hold of the shoot.

Bryan wasnt terrible at all on that shoot. It was hardly informative but it was still funny whimsy. More tell me about the fork than explorations of his feuds and relationships with other people in the business.

RF Video's Abby shoot should never have been released.

How did you start in wrestling? What are your memories of ...? What were your first impressions of ...?

RF's one was like:

RF "How did you start in wrestling?"

Abby or his Manager "We never agreed to this give us another $500"

Cue off camera arguing and Feinstein being scared shitless that of course was never edited out.

Rinse, repeat for 45 minutes.

How did you start in wrestling? What are your memories of ...? What were your first impressions of ...?

The best interviewer in wrestling is Wade Keller. It's a shame he's ... Wade Keller.

When he was doing his sheet, I'd say Scott Teal was the best. He often knew more about his interviewee's career than the interviewee did. A common exchange might go something like:

Wrestler: After that, I went to work for Gulas, I'm not sure when that was...

Teal: It was July 1962.

Contrast that with RF - there was an interview he did, I forget with who - who said something happened with him on the day JFK was killed. Neither RF, Gentry or the wrestler could come up with the date.

Contrast that with RF - there was an interview he did, I forget with who - who said something happened with him on the day JFK was killed. Neither RF, Gentry or the wrestler could come up with the date.

I remember that came up in the RF Bill Watts shoot although that might be a different one. They asked him something or other and then when did that happen, and Watts said "whatever year Kennedy was killed", and none of them really seemed to know when exactly that was.

Bottom line is don't get your history lessons from wrestlers.