Pro Wrestling Only

WWE quirks, linguistic and otherwise

Bix

WWE announcers always say, "transpired" when referencing flashbacks.

"Take a look at what transpired earlier this evening."

"Here's what transpired three weeks ago on Smackdown!"

"If you recall what transpired at the Survivor Series."

• Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's an instance of weird WWF rules for a match.

I just got the new Cage Match DVD and so far I've watched the awesome Backlund/ Patterson match that I haven't seen over 20 years and now it's the legendary Snuka/ Backlund match that I just realized...I never saw. I read about it, I may have seen the ending, but I've never seen this legendary match.

Anyway, here's the weird thing. At the start Vince announces that normally, a man can win by going through the door or over the top. But since Jimmy Snuka's skills are such that he can "leap over" the cage, (and it actually isn't a tall cage but come on.. :lol: ), so Arnold Skaaland made sure the rules were that a man can win only by going through the door.

That makes Backlund look like a bit of a pussy. (Granted, most escape the cage matches make whoever wins look like a little like a pussy, IMO) I guess it can be looked at as "Skaaland outsmarted Albano", but my first impression was negative. Granted, at this point Vince was ready to get rid of Backlund and this match really started Snuka's face turn, especially the missed splash.

Oh and besides all that, the match is fucking awesome.

Edit: HERE'S a wacky one from this DVD! Sammartino/ Zybysko is on and they have Striker and Matthews doing commentary. Josh is lost and bored, and they keep having Striker give history lessons. So Josh asks Matt what other notable matches were on the card. Matt mentions Backlund and Patera beating the Samoans for the tag belts and IC Champ Ken Patera fighting Tony Atlas. No mention of Hogan/ Andre until they go to the studio where Josh says something like "Here's how big Bruno/ Zybysko was! Hulk Hogan fought Andre The Giant and it was on the undercard!" :lol: Like someone told them to not mention Hogan when they did the voice over, but then in post production they said, "It'd be dumb to not mention it,,,but don't put it over."

They also mention it being PWI's "Match Of The Year" and put over the mags as being how fans before the net got their news and PWI was the number one magazine.

Edit: HERE'S a wacky one from this DVD! Sammartino/ Zybysko is on and they have Striker and Matthews doing commentary. Josh is lost and bored, and they keep having Striker give history lessons. So Josh asks Matt what other notable matches were on the card. Matt mentions Backlund and Patera beating the Samoans for the tag belts and IC Champ Ken Patera fighting Tony Atlas. No mention of Hogan/ Andre until they go to the studio where Josh says something like "Here's how big Bruno/ Zybysko was! Hulk Hogan fought Andre The Giant and it was on the undercard!" :lol: Like someone told them to not mention Hogan when they did the voice over, but then in post production they said, "It'd be dumb to not mention it,,,but don't put it over."

They also mention it being PWI's "Match Of The Year" and put over the mags as being how fans before the net got their news and PWI was the number one magazine.

They do the same thing on the Raw 15th Anniversary DVD, saying that Michaels-Jannetty was voted Match of the Year by PWI readers. It's amusing considering 20 years ago Vince wouldn't allow them ringside at his cards.

• 1 month later...

Funny that with a few exceptions, most WWE guys have to wear their wrestling gear ALL THE TIME on camera, even if they aren't wrestling.

I think this is an old quirk, but I've really noticed it on the 1992 yearbook, when Flair is almost always in his robe when he's doing an interview, even if he's not wrestling, and Tatanka even visited a reservation wearing his wrestling gear.

I noticed it a few weeks ago when Punk came back after his absence and put on his wrestling gear just to have a staredown with John Cena.

I also laugh at how everyone always has their belts with them. I understand that belts are important and wrestlers should have them around, but making it an unbreakable rule makes for some awkward moments, especially if you have someone who is a champion who is a bit player in a backstage clip just standing there holding their belt for no reason at all.

Flair in the robe becomes really distracting once you read about it, like how he never wins if he's in his red trunks.

I think it's a Vince thing about how the character is perceived. IIRC he's said something like "CM Punk doesn't look like CM Punk if he's not in his gear."

Funny that with a few exceptions, most WWE guys have to wear their wrestling gear ALL THE TIME on camera, even if they aren't wrestling.

I think this is an old quirk, but I've really noticed it on the 1992 yearbook, when Flair is almost always in his robe when he's doing an interview, even if he's not wrestling, and Tatanka even visited a reservation wearing his wrestling gear.

I noticed it a few weeks ago when Punk came back after his absence and put on his wrestling gear just to have a staredown with John Cena.

I like Daniel Bryan's explanation for this during his feud with The Miz. He aid that security didn't recognize him and wouldn't even let him in the building if he wasn't wearing his gear. That doesn't explain guys like Randy Orton, though. It also raises an interesting chicken-or-egg question for John Cena. Is he weird for wearing his wrestling gear all the time or for wrestling in street clothes?

I also laugh at how everyone always has their belts with them. I understand that belts are important and wrestlers should have them around, but making it an unbreakable rule makes for some awkward moments, especially if you have someone who is a champion who is a bit player in a backstage clip just standing there holding their belt for no reason at all.

I think of it like being issued a weapon in the military. You'll be in serious shit if something happens to it, so you have to have it within an arm's length of you at all times.

The only time I ever noticed the belt and thought it odd in the circumstances you speak of was during the Benoit DVD when he took it with him to the Hart household and other places.

OVW did a hilarious bit with the Tolands and taking the OVW Heavyweight Championship belt everywhere. I think they even went to a McDonalds with it.

I always loved that about lucha libre and how ridiculous it was that one the luchadores would be at a restaurant or some place and he'd be wearing a really nice suit and his mask. It makes sense, still funny though.

• 7 months later...

Once someone is turned heel and is wearing baby blue trunks, it's a sign they are on their way out. One I can think of off the top of my head is Don Muraco, I think there are others. I first heard about it on one of Honky Tonk Man's shoots.

Muraco was a face then.

I remember reading about the baby blue trunk situation in the pure dynamite book but I believe it was only a curse if you are a face which Muraco was (previously stated) Bravo wore baby blue for a long peroid as a heel, he never did much but he was around forever. Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone other than Muraco, Martel & Bravo wearing baby blue but I am sure I am wrong.

I remember reading about the baby blue trunk situation in the pure dynamite book but I believe it was only a curse if you are a face which Muraco was (previously stated) Bravo wore baby blue for a long peroid as a heel, he never did much but he was around forever. Off the top of my head I can't think of anyone other than Muraco, Martel & Bravo wearing baby blue but I am sure I am wrong.

Dean Douglas. And he was supposed to be pushed quite a bit before the Clique screwed him up.

Chris Candido. Never was supposed to be pushed much, but stayed around for a while and even got a tag title reign (with red trunks...).

• 2 weeks later...