Pro Wrestling Only

WWE quirks, linguistic and otherwise

Bix

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 315
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was watching the Flair-Sting Clash match on Netflix this weekend, and I noticed Jim Ross used "kip up" instead of "nip up". I don't remember the move ever being called a "nip up" until Vince started calling it that during Shawn matches in '96, so I assume Vince made Ross change what he called the move once he came to the WWF.

• 3 weeks later...

In 80s/early 90s WWF any wrestler or manager getting on the mic before a match usually meant the match wouldn't take place. Either they feign injury and are replaced or they brawl and the match is thrown out.

prime example:

same time frame. Wrestler is noticeably taking a lot of time getting out of the ring post match and spends time greeting/heeling the fans/injured. Next match isn't going to take place because the wrestler for the next match will bump into and start brawling with the departing wrestler. This happened with Duggan/Race, Jake/Earthquake, Beverly Brothers/Jim Neidhart, etc.

• 4 months later...

If the Shield attacks, the camera's must start to shake violently.

Anytime a big move is hit, the camera's must change shots, usually causing the viewer to miss the move completely.

Anytime someone dives out onto the outside halfway through the match, it is commercial time.

The Rock is the only person allowed to swear on TV without repercussions.

Anytime a big move is hit, the camera's must change shots, usually causing the viewer to miss the move completely.

No; it's every time anything happens in a match. Since I don't watch WWE much, I'm not used to it, so I have a hard time with this when I decide to watch the MOTYCs.

I see that Kofi Kingston discussed 'dream opponents'. I know very little about Kofi, but I knew Shawn Michaels would be the top dream opponent. Sure enough, he was.

In the WWE Universe, Shawn was an untouchable superworker.

Well, why not? Who else is there? You prefer he name Triple H?

I see that Kofi Kingston discussed 'dream opponents'. I know very little about Kofi, but I knew Shawn Michaels would be the top dream opponent. Sure enough, he was.

In the WWE Universe, Shawn was an untouchable superworker.

Well, why not? Who else is there? You prefer he name Triple H?

It's that WWE wrestlers are only going to have like 4-5 guys to choose from (ie. Shawn, Bret, HHH, Austin) as a 'dream match', because wrestling outside WWE doesn't exist... even though WWE owns a ton of footage and doesn't need to pressure people to toe the line like that. It's entirely possible that Kofi and some others only know WWF/WWE, but the unanimity across the roster gets to be ridiculous.

WWE has actually evolved to the point they acknowledge other wrestling exists, but that all other wrestling is inferior to WWE. Which I guess is progress at least.

One quirk that seems to be making a comeback with JBL returning to commentary is when one announcer makes a mistake/tells a joke that bombs, the other announcer has to pounce on it like a pack of lions on a gazelle. I'm assuming Vince is yelling in their ear to make sure it happens.

JBL pounces on everything Josh says, whether it's valid or not. Highly distracting.

I've noticed the standard 'to commercial' verbiage has changed from "X is rolling/X is in control..." to "X and X are involved in a stalemate...", even though it's still the standard dive to the outside/someone being clotheslined over the top, etc leading to the break.

• 2 months later...

Has anyone ever noticed that some time around 2001, Finkel in his ring introductions stopped saying "and his opponent" for the second guy in the match? Like, if Rock came out second, instead of "and his opponent, from Miami, Florida," he would just say "from Miami, Florida." Which seems like a minor thing to notice but I figure for someone who had been doing things a certain way for so long to suddenly change, he must have been told to do so, as though Vince had decided that the word "opponent" was too old-school rasslin'.

• 1 month later...

Last night they kept referring to "the workplace invasion".

It's funny that most journalists (especially broadcast) are beat over the head with being conversational. I'm sure that Cole's just doing what he's told, but you'd think he'd know better given his background.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know why they can't say hospital? It was really jarring on Monday.

Legitimately, it might be a hassle for the actual area hospital to deal with people who think the wrestler is actually there.

It's funny how now that Roman Reigns is around the announcers are killing themselves to not call a spear by anyone else a "spear." On a RAW a while ago JBL literally stopped himself mid-word and instead called it a tackle, and at Extreme Rules Cole bent over backward to show everyone that Ryback's spear was definitely NOT a spear. Is Big Show still doing his spear and are they still calling it a spear? Haven't noticed.

Does anyone know why they can't say hospital? It was really jarring on Monday.

Legitimately, it might be a hassle for the actual area hospital to deal with people who think the wrestler is actually there.

That happened to the ambulance that took Bret Hart to the hospital when he got hit by the car on RAW