Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Loss

[1996-01-27-WCW-Saturday Night] Steven Regal vs Dusty Wolfe

Fantastic beatdown. I love Finlay's reason for hating Regal - that he represents 400 years of British rule. And how they all don't know who he is, but he calls himself Fit Finlay. Tony then proceeds to mention his name "Dave Finlay". Oops.

Good stuff. Regal can do no wrong.

Best part of the commentary in the segment, better than answering that they don't know who he is:

Finlay: "This man has been paying for 400 years of what he did to my country!"

Dusty: "WHOA!"

It always sounded to me like Dusty thought Finlay just outed Regal as being over 400 years old. That may just be my brain, though.

Damn, a lot of great stuff packed into such a short segment. You barely have time to admire the mullet on Wolfe before Finlay shows up with an all-timer! Few mullets have more business in the front that that one! Dusty has a great line on commentary about how he once used open fist palm strikes to beat back a kodiak bear, and his reaction to Finlay's tirade is wonderful.

So I’m wondering why a random WCW Saturday night match is on the yearbook and here is Finlay! He beats up Regal for good measure on the outside. Just great.

Fit Finlay

Dave Finlay

The Belfast Bruiser

Choose one of the above. Like most wrestling fans I also appreciate a great mullet.

Great beating delivered by Finlay, who's sporting the mullet of all mullet. If you add the stach, Finlay had quite the 80's DDR soccer player look going on here.

"DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM?!" Dusty & Tony in unison: "No." "I'M FIT FINLAY, THE BELFAST BRUISER!" Tony: "The Belfast Bruiser, Dave Finlay!" Way to shatter kayfabe, Tony. Finlay lays in some absolutely brutal shots on Regal. The other highlight is Dusty regaling us with the story of how he killed a bear by smacking him on the nose, the way Regal was doing to wolfe.

I loved Dusty's line about Finlay beating 392 years out of him. Good debut for a character and Wolfe is still hanging on to that early 90's sleaze ball mullet. 1/2 *

Dusty Rhodes once took down a bear with a palm strike!  This debut of Finlay is fantastic.  This is an example why WCW is and was the best.  At this point in time, they are bringing in so many of the best wrestlers from around the world.  It truly feels likes a "world" promotion with sports feel which was so different from what WWF was doing at the time.