Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Charles (Loss)

[1996-10-27-WCW-Halloween Havoc] Scott Hall & Kevin Nash vs Harlem Heat

Hall and Nash working as babyfaces during the height of the NWO angle really sucks. Hall kissing Sherri and Nash stopping an interfering Col. Parker are total babyface spots. The crowd is still chanting "Diesel" and "Razor" in this match. This was really the beginning of a pretty terrible run for tag team wrestling in WCW, in spite of some occasional good matches. I see the logic in putting the belts on them to further the overall NWO angle, but it really did kill the tag titles meaning anything.

To be honest, every nWo guy got babyface reactions anyway (save for Nick Patrick screwing Jericho, which got big time heel heat from an audience who were split at best before that point), so there was no way Hall & Nash were gonna be booed. Of course the Scott Hall kissing Sherri spot was way too much a babyface move, like was the last deal with Parker (good riddance, I really can't stand this character). Anyway, for a Harlem Heat match, this is actually pretty good, and Hall was easily the best and hardest working here. This PPV was pretty awesome, just good match after good match.

The babyface spots suck, but at least they come against another heel team, and in some ways I admire Col. Parker for staying true to his character (and Sherri as well). I have to give credit to Hall & Nash for laying out a strong match and going 50-50 with Heat, putting over all their offense and giving themselves a somewhat fluky victory. Sadly this is pretty much it for the tag titles meaning anything.

Parker and Sherri feel so dated out there and yeah, I despised the babyface stuff and clamoring to the crowd that the Outsiders were doing. It took them a good while to win the tag belts but up until 1999, the straps really didn't mean much of anything.