Pro Wrestling Only

ECW One Night Stand PPV

Coffey

ONE NIGHT STAND MATCHES

Lance Storm with Dawn Marie vs Chris Jericho

Extreme luchador action:

Rey Mysterio vs Psychosis

A three way dance:

The insane luchador Super Crazy vs Tajiri with Sinister Minister vs Little Guido

Eddie Guerrero vs Chris Benoit

Tommy Dreamer and The Sandman vs Bubba & D-Von Dudley

ECW One Night Stand will feature special appearances by:

Paul Heyman

The return to PPV of Rob Van Dam with Bill Alfonso

Tazz

Spike Dudley

Al Snow with Head

Sabu

Balls Mahoney

Danny Doring and Roadkill

CW Anderson

Rhyno

Joel Gertner

Axl Rotten

Justin Credible

Kid Kash

Masato Tanaka

Mikey Whipwreck with Sinister Minister

The BWO - Big Stevie Cool, Hollywood Nova, and The Blue Guy

CREDIT: http://www.wwe.com/shows/ecw/matches.jsp

====

Things look good on paper thus far.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Even with a decent line up, I am going t owait until the feedback comes through before I watch this one. If the WWE v ECW crap continues, I don't know if I'll bother. If they let the guys just come in and do their matches, it could be good.

Comments on lineup so far....

Eddy v. Benoit - This would obviously be the selling point for the smart crowd. Then again, they have had some really good matches and some really dismal ones as well so it is a crap shoot.

Rey v. Psichosis - This one is another match that is up in the air. If they channel back to 1994 in Mexico then rock on. If not, it could be real spotty and real ugly.

Storm v. Jericho - The Thrillseekers explode. This is completely contingent on what Strom brings to the match. I have never been impressed with Storm and have no fiath in him to roll to anything higher than *** match.

Crazy v. Tajiri v. Guido - Eh... if this is done with three-way-dance rules, where two combatants battle it out at athe end, we may see some nice stuff. If it is one pin wins all then it will be a typical spotfest that we have already seen before

Sandman & Dramer v. Dudleys - Not exactly the best way for the Dudleys to return to the public eye. I imagine it will have a table lit on fire and be the worst match of the show.

People announced who I wouldn't mind seeing in the ring...

Rhyno

Masato Tanaka

Yep, that is about it.

Guest Cam Chaos

If Rhyno is still lined up for the show maybe his release was more of an Eddie "get your head straight and get back to us" deal than a final dismissal.

I wonder how they are going to try and explain Tajiri being with the Sinister Minister rather than Regal and Nunzio changing his name for the night... with these strange continuity bumps it's going to be interesting to see how they gloss over them.

I wonder how they are going to try and explain Tajiri being with the Sinister Minister rather than Regal and Nunzio changing his name for the night... with these strange continuity bumps it's going to be interesting to see how they gloss over them.

To be honest, I doubt they'll focus too much attention on them. The show's supposed to be a throwback to ECW anyway, so whatever the workers are doing today (so long as it doesn't hurt any feuds or storylines they're working with) really doesn't have the same effect. It's kind of like the gimmick battle royal at WrestleMania X-7, where they had things like Nikolai Volkoff play a commie heel again. Things like these are done for nostalgia purposes.

Although, really, they should've had Dean Malenko work with Eddy Guerrero and maybe book Benoit versus Tazz if Tazz is healthy enough to work one more match. Makes far more sense from a history perspective to do Guerrero-Malenko if, like Tazz, Malenko can go one more time.

Considering some real ECW cards, this show doesn't look too bad.

I'm wondering, Vince's promo on RAW last week seemed to hint that they might bring ECW back for more than just this PPV, if that's so, how is that possible considering they're probably going to lose Smackdown as it is?

Guest Some Guy

Although, really, they should've had Dean Malenko work with Eddy Guerrero and maybe book Benoit versus Tazz if Tazz is healthy enough to work one more match. Makes far more sense from a history perspective to do Guerrero-Malenko if, like Tazz, Malenko can go one more time.

I agree in theory but Tazz is so out of shape right now that he wouldn't be able to go more than 5 minutes. I think they've made the right decision to do Eddy vs. Benoit rather than sticking Eddy in with a guy who has been retired for 3 years and Benoit in with a guy who hasn't wrestled in 2 years and hasn't hit the gym for even longer.

"Eddy v. Benoit - This would obviously be the selling point for the smart crowd. Then again, they have had some really good matches and some really dismal ones as well so it is a crap shoot."

The last time they were supposed to work a more wrestling oriented match was July 2003 PPV for the US Title Tournament Finals. That belt was initially supposed to be Smackdown's "Wrestling Title." That match stunk. I say this all relies on whether or not Benoit brings his A game or his german suplex/crossface game.

"Rey v. Psichosis - This one is another match that is up in the air. If they channel back to 1994 in Mexico then rock on. If not, it could be real spotty and real ugly."

I haven't seen Psicosis/Nicho in a while as he just hasn't been on tape. I would guess this will be good, if just because Rey doesn't have as many out of this world hard spots. At its best, it could challenge Rey/Chavo as the best WWE cruiserweight match ever....unless they do the un-necessary ECW'ish shit.

"Storm v. Jericho - The Thrillseekers explode. This is completely contingent on what Strom brings to the match. I have never been impressed with Storm and have no fiath in him to roll to anything higher than *** match."

Jericho needs to bring his A++++ game. Storm blows.

"Crazy v. Tajiri v. Guido - Eh... if this is done with three-way-dance rules, where two combatants battle it out at athe end, we may see some nice stuff. If it is one pin wins all then it will be a typical spotfest that we have already seen before"

Could be worse but as you said, I don't care at all.

"Sandman & Dramer v. Dudleys - Not exactly the best way for the Dudleys to return to the public eye. I imagine it will have a table lit on fire and be the worst match of the show."

Duds can bump for both and make them look decent. I think that is the main reason they are in this.

Tim

It was going to be Malenko vs Eddie but Malenko had family commitments.

Benoit/Eddie need to have the face/heel roles switched for it to be the best match it can possibly be. It can still work the way it probably will be but to have their best match possable they need to switch it up.

Jericho vs Storm is going to surprise people and turn some heads. I'm calling it right now. Mark my words.

I think Storm is going to bust his ass since this could very well be his last match, as he was talking about hanging up the boots. And he might want to stick it to Vince for under-utilizing him during his time in the company by going out with a bang. Jericho is a good friend of his, so he'll be along for the ride.

Guest teke184

I think Storm is going to bust his ass since this could very well be his last match, as he was talking about hanging up the boots. And he might want to stick it to Vince for under-utilizing him during his time in the company by going out with a bang. Jericho is a good friend of his, so he'll be along for the ride.

Not only are the two good friends, they broke into the business together. Their long-term knowledge of each other should, in theory, give them the tools they need to have a great match if they're allowed to.

The only thing I suggest is not letting Storm give Jericho a chair-shot... Lance looks like a fucking pussy swinging a chair.

• 2 weeks later...

Recap from WO on Heyman and Dreamer on Byte This...

haven?t got the time to give you a full report on the Byte This show I just watched, but it was A very, very interesting show.

Obviously the focus was on the ppv throughout, and at first they appeared to be switching between work and shoot indiscriminately.

Plenty of cussing, with Dreamer telling Bischoff to ?go f*** himself?. Heyman referred to 'Brian Gerwitz' written JBL promos, that are designed to get under the skin of Paul Heyman, but don?t'.

It was announced that Rob Van Dam would have an interview segment on the ppv, in the words of Heyman, 'unscripted, uncensored, no writers feeding him lines, for 6 to 10 minutes'.

Then it got interesting, as they answered emails, and talked about the Shane Douglas show, ?Hardcore Homecoming?. Heyman wished them all the best, said that he hopes they put on a hell of a show as it could lead to more shows down the line and more money for the guys.

Dreamer then absolutely BURIED the show, calling the opposition ?leeches? and saying they were trying to make a buck out of something they know nothing about. In a thinly veiled attack on Douglas, Dreamer was going on about wannabe bookers and saying how if it wasn?t booked by him or Paul, its not authentic. Dreamer said that all the guys had invites to come to the WWE show, and he acknowledged the TNA contracted guys couldn?t (without mentioning TNA). Somehow Douglas not liking Heyman got brought up again, with Heyman yelling, ?I don?t give a f*** if Shane Douglas likes me or not!?

They kind of avoided answering a question about whether there would be any more ECW spin offs, ppv or even tv wise.

Heyman then concluded the show with a tremendous go-home promo, talking about pissing off Vince in creative meetings in the summer of 2001, and Stephanie asking him why he provokes Vince so much, with Heyman replying that he believes very strongly in what he says creatively. He talked about the show being his final hurrah, and then said this wasn?t going to be like a ?bullshit Terry Funk retirement, with all due respect to Funk who I love?.

He openly mentioned his contract runs out at the end of the year and that he might not renew. He said at the age of 40, there are other things he might want to do, mentioning that he has written a screenplay and would like to work creatively on other tv shows. He also threw in (no doubt to get the rumour mill going) that ?who knows, this place needs some competition too?.

Guest Cam Chaos

Between Heyman, Austin, The Rock, Gorilla Monsoon, Hulk Hogan, Angle and Big Show it's pretty clear getting into wrestling makes you go bald quicker.

I guess Heyman considers this ECW's real last show from the sounds of his plans to expand his horizons, pretty much signifying his desire to move on from the ECW stigma.

I don't think he cares. He's already pretty much been buried. It's not some huge secret that RVD feels that he was a victim of the glass ceiling. Hell, he was hot as fuck after he first showed up in WWE. He had a couple matches with Jeff Hardy that were hot and a hardcore match with Tommy Dreamer that seemed to be a big deal at the time.

Hell, I even remember him having a match against, I think it was Kurt Angle, for the World Title. It was on Raw.

Rob was unique and WWE missed a golden opportunity. Even if he does have shitty forearms.

Rob probably figures if they fire him, he can just spend more time at Five Star Comics while working Ring of Honor throughout the week. Rob could probably do pretty well on the Indies, much like Raven.

I don't think RVD would get in trouble at all for shooting on HHH, simply because if anything, Van Dam will be doing a fake shoot. You have to remember that the whole idea that RVD is going to have an unscripted promo is just as much a work as Heyman accuses JBL's promos of being. It may not be written word for word since that's not Heyman's style, but RVD isn't going out there without some clue what they want him to say. Vince and Dunn are overseeing the show, and if Heyman pleads the case strong enough to allow plenty of WWE bashing, all the while selling it like they "weren't allowed to say that", it would fit the whole ECW image and it wouldn't surprise me in the least. Everything being told to us is ga-ga, not just what we see on TV. That really shouldn't surprise anyone; that's wrestling. The WWE writer I used to chat with told me WWE was very aware of HHH's Internet rep and many stories were purposely exaggerated to help him get over as a heel. When they were originally going to turn him face in 2004, you started hearing things about him being willing to put over Benoit and helping Orton and Batista and listening to Flair for career advice. Much of that is by design.

Well, if that's the case, RVD has been selling this for months. He's been shooting on the company since well before his injury. I legit just don't think he gives a fuck. He's riding that sum-bitch out for the paycheck, and if they fire him, he can do his thing elsewhere.

I'm anticipating the RVD shoot more than anything on the PPV I think.

I was supposed to go watch this with a friend this evening who lives about 30-40 minutes away from here. I call earlier this afternoon, 4-ish, and say "Let me know when you're ready for me to come over" and he says, "All right, I'll call you back in five minutes and let you know", and then he turns off the phone. Bastard. Anyway, the PPV is tonight, and I'm missing it now, sadly. Too bad, because it looks like the Heat crowd is rocking it, chanting "Shut the fuck up!" at Michael Cole (and getting past the censors) and filling the arena with anti-WWE signs.

Guest Flyboy

For some reason, I want to watch this PPV so bad moreso than any PPV in fucking forever. I haven't watched a full wrestling event in about 2-3 years, but I want to order EAW One Night PVV badly. Maybe if the InVasion originally went this way... nevermind, that's a total another subject. I just hope they don't screw this up.

I wonder if the anti WWE signs were handed out at the door...

I really wanted to get behind this PPV, but they couldn't let it be just an ECW show, they had to make it WWE vs ECW and we all know that they never want to show WWE as weak.

It's like a HHH match stretched over a whole PPV: just when you let yourself get a little excited that the right person will go over, you get Pedigree'd into reality.

Sounds like the crowd is pretty anti-WWE, Meltz is calling it "violent heat" when the WWE gusy came out and got a "Fuck You Smackdown" chant.

I'm thinking they SERIOUSLY underestimated ECW's staying power as the fans seem to be pretty vocal against any WWE involvment.