Pro Wrestling Only

ECW One Night Stand PPV

Coffey

Guest Some Guy

In fairness to WWE working in front of 2,500 smark marks is a hell of a lot different than working in front of several thousand fans from all walks of life. ECW was a much more intimate experience for the fans, because of the size of the audience and buildings. If you go to a party with 15 people then chances are that you'll talk to everyone and know everyone, if you go to a party with 100 people you won't have a chance to reach out to everyone and chances are that not everyone will like what you have to offer.

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Weren't the first couple months of RAWs taped at the Hammerstein? Hell, some of the houseshow crowds they've been drawing aren't too much bigger than what was at the PPV. People in WWE are acting like they never saw a crowd excited about the product before.

Guest Some Guy

It's just a different atmosphere. I can't picture WWE fans singing along to someone's theme song like ECW marks do for Sandman. Plus, the product that WWF was offering at the Manhatten Center in 93 was way different than what ECW was when they started running that building.

In an interesting note, Heyman has credited RAW running shows in the Manhattan Center with him having the idea to run ECW in smaller buildings. He loved that atmosphere and said he wanted to recreate it. At least that's what he said 10 years ago.

It's just a different atmosphere.  I can't picture WWE fans singing along to someone's theme song like ECW marks do for Sandman.  Plus, the product that WWF was offering at the Manhatten Center in 93 was way different than what ECW was when they started running that building.

As for the fans singing along with the theme song, it is because the WWf has never even attempted o reach out to the fans on such a personal level. In fact, audience participation has dropped to non-existent levels the past few years. You used to be able to throw a catch-phrase or sing-along or whatever. Now, you can't even get a friggin babyface to slap hands with the ringside fans. HEll, they don't even have any credible babies for the girls to rally behind ala HBK, RNR Express etc. The detachment from the fans is one of the main reasons I think the product amd attendance has been suffering.

• 2 weeks later...

"I thought the ECW PPV was very good. Because I lived in Texas I had never got a chance to see ECW, but I thoroughly enjoyed the show. The interaction with the fans was great.

The guys worked as hard as they could work, which is always fun to watch. Sandman?s entrance was probably one of the best entrances I have ever seen in wrestling. It is amazing what works and what doesn?t. If you had said that a guy with a cigarette in his mouth drinking beer would be the highlight of the night, I would think you were crazy. However, it was. Charisma like that is just innate, you can?t teach it.

The last match was fun to watch. I have always been a fan of The Dudleys. I thought they put on a great show with Tommy Dreamer.

Chris and Eddie had their normal solid outing. Mike Awesome tried to kill himself, and you could tell the fans appreciated it. I missed Lance Storm and Jericho, though I heard it was very good.

I wish RVD had been well for this, you could tell how much it meant to him. I, too, thought his promo was very good.

I admire hard work and passion and this PPV was full of it."

-- JBL in his WWE.com column

Maybe people will start calming down now and acknowledge that JBL the character and JBL the person are *different* from each other

Yeah, it's JBL the person who stiffs people for years-old comments and hogties people in the shower.

Hell, most people I've seen like JBL's character (admitting his JR Ewing/Ted DiBiase mix is a good heel gimmick).

In JBL's defense, he threatened to rape Brian Christopher in the ass because Christopher was bragging to everyone in the locker room that he was slipping mickeys to girls he'd go on dates with and then have his way with them after they passed out. JBL was telling him in no uncertain terms that wouldn't be tolerated.

JBL is partially, but not fully to blame for the incident with Meanie. Meanie provoked him, which is also part of the problem. They were also stupid and gave him alcohol, so he went into the ring drunk. Just a messy situation all around.

Yeah but professional wrestling isn't like other professions. It's full of shady characters and douches. Seriously, when backstage pranks and whatnot are the norm, what can you expect? It's a sleezy business. Finding shit in your bag is a common occurance!

Guest teke184

In JBL's defense, he threatened to rape Brian Christopher in the ass because Christopher was bragging to everyone in the locker room that he was slipping mickeys to girls he'd go on dates with and then have his way with them after they passed out. JBL was telling him in no uncertain terms that wouldn't be tolerated.

JBL is partially, but not fully to blame for the incident with Meanie. Meanie provoked him, which is also part of the problem. They were also stupid and gave him alcohol, so he went into the ring drunk. Just a messy situation all around.

Actually, it was Duke "Dumpster" Drose...

I think the Brian Christopher thing was my fault because I thought it was a douche who stayed with the WWE longer than Drose.

Guest brian

"I thought the ECW PPV was very good. Because I lived in Texas I had never got a chance to see ECW, but I thoroughly enjoyed the show. The interaction with the fans was great.

The guys worked as hard as they could work, which is always fun to watch. Sandman?s entrance was probably one of the best entrances I have ever seen in wrestling. It is amazing what works and what doesn?t. If you had said that a guy with a cigarette in his mouth drinking beer would be the highlight of the night, I would think you were crazy. However, it was. Charisma like that is just innate, you can?t teach it.

The last match was fun to watch. I have always been a fan of The Dudleys. I thought they put on a great show with Tommy Dreamer.

Chris and Eddie had their normal solid outing. Mike Awesome tried to kill himself, and you could tell the fans appreciated it. I missed Lance Storm and Jericho, though I heard it was very good.

I wish RVD had been well for this, you could tell how much it meant to him. I, too, thought his promo was very good.

I admire hard work and passion and this PPV was full of it."

-- JBL in his WWE.com column

Maybe people will start calming down now and acknowledge that JBL the character and JBL the person are *different* from each other

Which one is which?