1990 Recommendations

Loss

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

This set will be next. It's not coming out immediately or anything, but I need to get the matchlist finalized pretty soon, so if you have any suggestions, please try to provide them in the coming week. Thanks.

If it's not too late i'll add this

i've pretty much been reviewing every AJW show from late 89 currently up to late 92 on my blog

rather then copy/pasting anything over, out of lazinesss i'll just link to my top 10 list / end of the year thoughts for 90

http://flikreviews.blogspot.com/2011/02/aj...op-10-list.html

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for all the recommendations. From your list, is there anything that may not look good on paper (like a Bravo match, just as an example) that should still be considered for some other reason?

None of them are great matches, it's 1990 WWF. The bulk of the matches I listed where TV main's that weren't god awful. That being said I've always had a soft spot n my heart for Dino Bravo.

Bull vs. Nishiwaki 1/4 has to go on. The tag match beneath it is quite fun for the time, too.

I'd definitely cover Toyota/Hokuto 6/17 (aka the knee injury) in some form.

Bull vs. Toyota should go on, too. They always worked really well together (their 1/3/94 sure looks like a lost classic from the clip-job on the 1/24/94 comm), and here it is in its earliest incarnation. Toyota's bump off the lariat is ungodly and it's just an all-around strong match all things considered.

The Bull/Grizzly vs. Jungle Jack match absolutely has to go on, it's the company's MOTY for me easilly and just a super match. Time constraints considering, I'd put the Hokuto/Toyota match on as well. They'd obviously go on to do better, but I recall it being good and one of the earliest instances where Hokuto worked, at least at times, with the aggression and demonstration that she would as the Dangerous Queen.

I'd maybe cover the Bull/Aja cage match from 9/1, but the rematch on 11/14 should definitely go on. I really like the tag match beneath it too (Toyota/Kyoko vs. Hokuto/Minami).

I'm not sure how much of each aired but both Bull/Kyoko (who was already looking significantly better to all the '88 class, hence her push the following year) and Marine Wolves/Jungle Jack from 12/9 (New Classics #43?) should get checked out by someone.

I'm not sure how much of each aired but both Bull/Kyoko (who was already looking significantly better to all the '88 class, hence her push the following year) and Marine Wolves/Jungle Jack from 12/9 (New Classics #43?) should get checked out by someone.

PUNQ told me once the exact amount that aired but i've since forgotten. Do remember atleast that it wasn't very much, like maybe 6-7 mins for the tag and less for Bull/Kyoko.

• 5 weeks later...

I'm guessing it's too late at this point (and it's entirely my own fault for not remembering/speaking up sooner), but the Rockers/Powers of Pain match from the 1/15 MSG show is an awesome tag that I think lots of people would dig. Shawn and Marty bump around like LOONS for Barbarian and Warlord, there are great cut-offs (with more bumping like LOONS), super hot crowd, it's short at

• 4 weeks later...

FMW

2/12/1990 (Carribean Barbed Wire) Masanobu Kurisu vs Atsushi Onita

Been a while since I watched but I recall this having decent in ring stuff made better by some great drama and selling on Onita's part.

4/1/1990 (Texas Death Match) Tarzan Goto & Atsushi Onita vs Dragonmaster & Masanobu Kurisu

Just a great crazy brawl, one of the best matches of the year

11/5/1990 (WWA Brass Knuckles Title - Texas Death Match) Atsushi Onita © vs Mr. Pogo

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for these. Can you recommend any Hamada's UWF?

Haven't seen a lot but Los Brazos vs Hamada, Kendo & Blackman and Yoshihiro Asai & Kato Kung Lee vs Blue Panther & Black Power both from 11/17/1990 are 2 of my fav matches.

Los Brazos vs Gran Hamada, Kendo & Yoshihiro Asai from the 11/14 AJW Show is really good too

From my review of the show

Lucha invasion continues. Gran Hamada was awesome, Ultimo was really good and Oro & El Brazo were fine too but this match was the fucking Super Porky & Kendo show. Kendo was allready like the most over guy going into the match and is one of the most spectacular wrestlers i've ever seen and by the end Porky won them over huge as well with his fat guy flying. Still blown away by some of the stuff they manage to pull off here, perfect blend of comedy & serious action and a great match period.

I'm hosting the 11/14 match on my site if anyone wants to see it

• 4 weeks later...

Anyone happen to know the real dates for these matches from the Local TV shows in AJ & NJ?

LOCAL TV: (Try to find date)

Steve Williams vs Bam Bam Bigelow (LYNCH LOCAL TV #3)

Jushin Liger vs Pegasus Kid (LYNCH LOCAL TV #3)

Owen Hart vs Pegasus Kid (LYNCH LOCAL TV #3)

Toshiaki Kawada vs Pete Roberts (LYNCH LOCAL TV #2)

Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue & Mighty Inoue vs Stan Hansen, Eric Embry & Scotty the Body (LYNCH LOCAL TV #2)

Steve Williams vs Bam Bam Bigelow (LYNCH LOCAL TV #3)

Jushin Liger vs Pegasus Kid (LYNCH LOCAL TV #3)

Owen Hart vs Pegasus Kid (LYNCH LOCAL TV #3)

Toshiaki Kawada vs Pete Roberts (LYNCH LOCAL TV #2)

Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue & Mighty Inoue vs Stan Hansen, Eric Embry & Scotty the Body (LYNCH LOCAL TV #2)

1. 6/26/90

2. Might be 6/18 - don't know if that match exists on tape, though - so it could be from their March 19th or August 19th match.

3. 6/26/90

4. 7/90

5. 8/29/90

06/26/90 Steve Williams vs Bam Bam Bigelow (LYNCH LOCAL TV #3)

06/18/90 Jushin Liger vs Pegasus Kid (LYNCH LOCAL TV #3)

06/26/90 Owen Hart vs Pegasus Kid (LYNCH LOCAL TV #3)

My guess is that it was in fact the 06/18/90 Liger-Pegasus since it was a TV taping, and that match didn't air on normal NJPW TV.

07/17/90 Toshiaki Kawada vs Pete Roberts (LYNCH LOCAL TV #2)

08/29/90 Jumbo Tsuruta, Akira Taue & Mighty Inoue vs Stan Hansen, Eric Embry & Scotty the Body (LYNCH LOCAL TV #2)

The AJPW matches on Lynch's Special Local TV #2 are the following dates:

07/07/90 Ace & Taylor vs Kabuki & Inoue

07/07/90 Akira Taue vs Dan Spivey (Possibly Taue vs Ace from 07/19/90)

07/12/90 Akira Taue vs Terry Taylor

07/12/90 Masanobu Fuchi vs Tsuyoshi Kikuchi

07/17/90 Toshiaki Kawada vs Pete Roberts

08/29/90 Kobashi & Ace vs Fulton & Rogers (All Asian Tag League)

08/29/90 Misawa & Kawada & Kikuchi vs Gordy & Williams & Slinger

08/29/90 Tsuarta & Taue & Inoue vs Stan & Embry & Scotty the Body

The Taue-Spivey could be off. I don't have the boot, so don't know... but Lynch on ocassion could be off on names/wrestlers.

The Fuchi-Kikuchi could be the complete version that was JIP on NTV. It's their first title match, with these being the ones in the prime of their feud with Dave's ratings:

07/12/90 ***3/4

01/26/91 ***1/4

04/16/91 ***1/4

09/04/91 (?)

02/28/93 ****1/4

Would guess you'd want to get it.

I believe that Kobashi & Ace vs Fantastics is a different from the 9/7/90 tourney final. The way to tell the difference:

08/29/90 Kobashi legdrops Rogers (21:26)

09/07/90 Kobashi moonsaults Rogers (15:24)

And of course the titles. ;) But if it's the Final, it may be complete while the NTV may have been JIP.

Suspect at least one match from this was noted earlier for interest:

JL-Boot-20

06/30/90 Baba & Slinger vs Inoue & Teranishi

06/30/90 Toshiaki Kawada vs Kenta Kobashi

06/30/90 Tsuruta & Kabuki & Fuchi vs Misawa & Taue & Kikuchi

John

Hopefully you're right. I like seeing new footage. A member of another board apparently has a match between Liger/Benoit during the Super Junior tournament from '91. I'd never seen it, still haven't, didn't know it even existed.

Do you have notes on All Japan like that for the entire decade?

Not really. I have the Japanese Wrestling Journal from mid-1987 through the end of it's run in 1994. Has the results of all the house shows of the mens promotions, along with comments of matches he saw either live or on TV. Can kind of tell with something like 06/18/90 Jushin Liger vs Pegasus Kid that it was a taping (in addition to some highlight on a working copy I made probably a decade ago) and that Liger-Pegasus has no comments like the matches that made TV (in addition to an onld note I wrote on there "not taped").

Between the WON, the JWJ, Lynch's lists and Dan's stuff... can kind of put it together. Pain in the ass at times, though. :)

I put everything "available" for 1990 AJPW into a speadsheet, with Classics going backwards and slowly trying to fill in the NTV as I can. 1990 is complete because I know Dan was missing a couple of things from his 1990 Season Set, the WON's and Lynch's list aren't complete on all the listings, and Classics crapped out in the middle of the year. I think on some of the stuff I had to pull out the original K-Tapes to see the dates Koji listed, comp it with the JWJ, and fill in the missing stuff. Even then, without having that Lynch's Special Local TV #2 in hand, it's hard to determine if the Taue-Spivey is correct, or if the reason the Kobashi & Ace vs Fantastics is on there is because it's complete. :)

Future project is to get all of the Baba Era All Japan (up through the split) and watch/review it all, identifying where the most complete versions are from, etc.

Of course that may be when I retire, since I still need to get to the Season 5 disks of Babylon 5, and finish my re-watch of Deadwoon... and then The Wire... :)

John

The 6/18 Liger/Pegasus match aired on NJ Classics, so we have it from that. I suspect it has better VQ than the local TV as well.

Probably a good idea to pick up all the local tapes, try to make sense of them and then go from there. There are also things like Kawada/Pete Roberts that sound interesting on paper, but may not really be yearbook-worthy in the end.

Also, jdw has touched on this before, but this is really the narrative I want to capture with the 1990 Yearbook -- out with the old, in with the new.

The WWF was trying to phase out Hogan and put Warrior on top. WCW was trying to phase out Flair and put Sting and Luger on top. The Steiners surpassed the Road Warriors as stars. In Japan, Misawa, Kawada, Kobashi, Muto, Chono and Hashimoto were creeping closer to the top. In some of those cases, the goal was met and led to some prosperous times and in others ... not quite. Still, it's interesting to look at this yearbook in that context.

In AJW, it was the dawn of Bull's Era... right from the start.

If there is any one Yearbook where you might want to "Go Long" with several extra disks, this probably would be the one. Though you might be helped in keeping it down by what's missing/lacking:

* no ECW/SMW

* no Raw/SD/Nitro/Thunder

* probably don't have the full year of Lucha available (i.e. every episode)

* Japan indy hadn't gone insane yet

* AJW probably hasn't gone as nutty on commercial tapes yet

* PPV wasn't yet 12 shows a year from both promotions

John

• 2 weeks later...

On the theme of All Japan matches from early in the year, you should consider Doc and Gordy's title win over Hansen and Tenryu, which I think happened on 3/6/90. First big match for Miracle Violence and one of Tenryu's last in AJ.

I'd also include Tenryu-Savage from the AJ/WWF show -- lots of fun watching Savage work American heel schtick in that context.

From New Japan, the Hash/Choshu match from 11/1/90 should make the cut. You talked about the emergence of the Musketeers and that's one of my favorite old guard vs. new guard matches from the promotion.

Glad to see I had all of those listed on the early draft. Thanks.

Everyone: Keep the recommendations coming. I'm hoping to close this thread within the next week. Don't worry, that doesn't mean the yearbook is coming out already, but just that we're trying to get a little ahead of ourselves.

I haven't watched all the Maritimes footage I have from that year and I can already hear Will telling me "this isn't making the cut" but if Heel Joey Mags working unknown Southern promotion made the cut I figure it's worth pimping this:

International Champion Rip Rogers vs. Big Stephen Pettipas

It's on the Maritimes footage I have, which I think Will has. Good match with two of the most well regarded workers from the history of that territory (If talkshoe didn't lose it, both Andrew Lacelle and Dave Musgrave, heavily pimped both guys on the Maritimes show we just did). Only problem is I'm not sure if there is a date available. Musgrave might have it somewhere.

From New Japan, the Hash/Choshu match from 11/1/90 should make the cut. You talked about the emergence of the Musketeers and that's one of my favorite old guard vs. new guard matches from the promotion.

All three title matches from 11/01/90 should make it: Liger-Pegasus, Hase & Sasaki vs Chono & Mutoh, and Choshu vs Hash. Suspect full version aired on NJPW Classics or on commercial sets.

John

On the theme of All Japan matches from early in the year, you should consider Doc and Gordy's title win over Hansen and Tenryu, which I think happened on 3/6/90. First big match for Miracle Violence and one of Tenryu's last in AJ.

I'd also include Tenryu-Savage from the AJ/WWF show -- lots of fun watching Savage work American heel schtick in that context.

Agree with both of these. And Tenryu's last match with Jumbo, the April TC match.

John