Pro Wrestling Only

WCW ongoing thread

ohtani's jacket

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I eventually get round to rewatching WCW does anyone have any idea when the shows from 88 - 96 aired on what days and times?

Some regions I believe aired Worldwide first but others aired Pro first so just curious.

Saturday Night

WorldWide

Pro

Main Event

Power Hour

Worldwide was in syndication and therefore aired at different times in different markets, and could be on either Saturday or Sunday, in the morning or the middle of the night or any time in-between. I remember watching it at like 1 AM or so on WCBS out of New York.

This bit from the Observer after Starrcade '93 made me laugh because I've NEVER seen this kind of unanimous voting in the Observer post PPV polls:

BEST MATCH POLL

Ric Flair vs. Vader 172

No other match received even one vote

That is bizarre, because Regal-Steamboat, Austin-Dustin and Rude-Boss all should had stole votes there. It's not like the rest of the show stunk or anything.

EDIT: From Wikipedia,

Dave Meltzer of the Wrestling Observer Newsletter gave the Vader/Ric Flair main event a rating of **** 1/2 (out of 5) and claimed it was a defining moment in Flair's career and most memorable of his numerous (11 at the time) title wins.

Largely promoted as a "one-match show," Starrcade '93 is remembered as delivering a tremendous main event after a terrible undercard.

OK, I see why, but that is bullshit and wrong.

Dave didn't influence the voting though and from what he wrote they essentially had promoted Starrcade 93 as a one match show going into it. I don't think it's all that surprising it won all the votes it was far and away the biggest match on the card and it delivered in the ring and as an emotional moment.

With those 3 people turning on him in just 6 months, Savage showed Sting levels of stupidity.

I could be remembering incorrectly, but I don't think the Mongo turn involved Savage at all.

He was the football players' coach and he ate the beatdown along with Greene afterwards.

Haha, so I was in fact, remembering incorrectly.

It's still pretty impressive years later. I never really agreed with the critiques of that match.

I agree, it's absolutely the best Flair/Vader match you were ever going to get.

Ill put a thumbs up to this match. Saw it on DSF in 94 and loved the match watched it so many times was my fav match on the card. They never showed the match from the Clash so no idea how that match was.

• 2 months later...

I'm in May 1985 right now. Last week Dusty brought that ridiculous gorilla to the studios. Boy was that dumb. The Ric Flair vs. Magnum TA stuff has been really good.

I said this last year but I used to hate Jimmy Valiant when I watched him on these shows but this time through I can't get enough of him. The stuff with his vocal cords getting damaged was absolutely great. The promo where Paul Jones was showing off his broken arm was brilliant.

I'm also digging the Magnum TA vs. Buddy Landell feud. Did any of their matches make it to tape?

Not essential (said a guy who has been at least trying to watch all 5 stupid-ass WCW shows from 1990-91), but take a look at listings if you have some and see what jumps out at you, because there's a bunch of good stuff. For example, one of the best-ever Techwood Drive studio matches was a Tully vs Barry match from Sunday Edition in May 1987.

Bobby Eaton vs Buddy Landell, Pro 3-9-91:

This is the first five minutes of a really good match, with some good outside action, some searing chops and punches, great detail work, and Bobby doing a great job working face. But that's all it is, as at around 5:00 Bobby gets the transition neckbreaker and Alabama Jam for the finish. A real shame. Terry Taylor comes in for the two on one and Zenk (!) makes the save, but Bobby belts him for his trouble. The Beautiful Lone Wolf! **1/4