Pro Wrestling Only

WCW ongoing thread

ohtani's jacket

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Barry Windham vs Ricky Morton, Worldwide 3/23/91:

Morton is replacing Pillman, who is scratched on doctor's orders, so this is just a couple of (decent) minutes to set up a Sid run-in. The fun escalates quickly after that: Sid powerbombs Morton, and BW calls for the gurney, though he does a bit of accidental slapstick and gets draped under the pad and shelf when he tries to bring it over the top rope. No matter, they get Morton mounted on it, but Pillman comes in for the save (Tony: "He has defied the medical experts!") and chases Sid over the top with a dropkick, a feat which Tony treats with the appropriate excitement. Then Pillman throws the gurney frame down the aisle at them! It crashes at Barry's feet, nearly clobbering him. The jobbers in scrubs (scrubs in scrubs?) show a rare commitment to character, rushing the frame back to the ring and trying to help the still-downed Morton.

In the next segment, Gordon Solie describes Big Daddy Dink: "Certainly much more than a road manager...dangerous in and out of the ring, and quite frankly, an evil genius."

• 1 month later...

Watching WrestleWar 90. My three favorite things from this show:

1. Road Warriors/Doom standoff/brawl

2. Guy in front row with a sign that reads, "We have HERD enough"

3. The crowd going apeshit every time Luger's on offense against Flair

• 2 weeks later...

El-P, since getting the Network I think I've watched a grand total of about 2 shows (Rumble, Mania). I am either going to cancel or seriously put some effort in to make it value, because currently it's money for nothing.

Since I'm listening to Sullivan's podcast, I was thinking about maybe starting the Nitros from 1995. Would you recommend doing it?

El-P, since getting the Network I think I've watched a grand total of about 2 shows (Rumble, Mania). I am either going to cancel or seriously put some effort in to make it value, because currently it's money for nothing.

Since I'm listening to Sullivan's podcast, I was thinking about maybe starting the Nitros from 1995. Would you recommend doing it?

Yes. Nitro is a lot of fun to watch on so many levels. Up until Starrcade 97, WCW is must watch TV to me, with an amazing peak in the summer of 96 during the high point of the nWo angle.

WCW move: Airing a SuperBrawl control center in which Solie introduces a clip of DDP to hype his upcoming interview with Sting and Luger, but in said clip DDP hypes an interview with Sid.

Quintessentially WCW move: Airing it on every show for the entire week before SuperBrawl.

• 2 weeks later...

I read it a couple of years ago. It's a very Jekyll and Hyde kind of book. The parts written by Alvarez are not very good and there are some things that are completely wrong if you're familiar with what was going on. But it was a quick and enjoyable read minus those flaws.

Yeah, that was from well after the Doom split (right before their cage match at SuperBrawl, actually). Vader was a face basically from winter of '90/'91 to his first exit from WCW. He made a surprise turn on TV in late 1990 to help out Morton and Rich against the Freebirds a bit after they injured Gibson.

He also was Luger's mystery partner against the Big Cat and Motor City Madman on TV, although they just ran them off and never had a real match. If he hadn't shown up on the heel team in the Chamber of Horrors at Halloween Havoc '91 kind of out of nowhere, you wouldn't realize he'd jumped sides again.

NWA @ Charleston, SC - McAllister Fieldhouse - December 27, 1990

NWA US Champion Lex Luger & NWA TV Champion Tom Zenk (sub. for Big Van Vader) defeated Stan Hansen & the Big Cat

"Oh man, I get to see Vader and Hansen in a tag! ... Aw, fuck."

Was Curtis Hughes in the Big Cat role back then or someone else?

Yeah, that was from well after the Doom split (right before their cage match at SuperBrawl, actually). Vader was a face basically from winter of '90/'91 to his first exit from WCW. He made a surprise turn on TV in late 1990 to help out Morton and Rich against the Freebirds a bit after they injured Gibson.

Didn't he make the face turn because WCW was doing the Hansen vs Vader re-match and Hansen was booked as being a heel overall?

Didn't he make the face turn because WCW was doing the Hansen vs Vader re-match and Hansen was booked as being a heel overall?

Definitely.

Yep. I wasn't aware there was another Big Cat.

Well, there was Ernie Ladd, but I doubt he was on a comeback then. :-)

Big Cat (Curtis Hughes) and Motor City Madman were two guys Paul E. Dangerously was sending after Lex Luger at the time.

MCM was terrible even on the sliding scale of WCW 1990-91.

• 2 weeks later...

The Enforcers vs. The Young Pistols, WCWSN 8/3/1991

The Enforcers vs. Robert Gibson & Tom Zenk, Worldwide 8/10/1991

A pair of matches to really get the Enforcers over as limb maniacs with the same finish, destroying a leg to the point of referee stoppage. Smothers and Gibson get the privilege. The Pistols match is longer and better, with some great back and forth until the inevitable, but the second has the direct tie-in with Gibson's injury, making it very predatory. Lots of ringpost wrapping, and each gets a different hold before the stoppage (half crab vs. figure four), which is a nice touch. Zenk and Schiavone score points on Worldwide, by breaking up the first FF with a nice fiery legdrop, and by noting on the mic that Zenk "gets one save."

The first is just swimming in the B- range, and the second is too short for anything but the Full Worldwide Point, but they are full of excellent, highly concentrated limb work, legal and otherwise.

In other tag team news, I'm still not a fan of the full (little hat wearing) Hardliners Collection Agency gimmick, as it makes them look like garbage men, or cabbies, or...something out of sync with what they're going for. Not that scuzzy loan collector is a very good thing to go for. Anyway, they work 5 unremarkable minutes with Rick Steiner and Sting on the Worldwide episode. Rick is working legit hurt and very limited, but takes the heat anyway, then ends it with a chair DQ when the Hardliners double team Sting. No reason not to reverse the roles in that booking.

I never realized how much Diamond Studd was Razor Ramon version 0.9: the thumb pointing, the paintbrushing, the signal for the Diamond Death Drop and the "wiping my hands" afterwards, even the catchphrases, including "I'm the bad guy" and "everybody listen to me".

On Pro (I think, the shows run together when I'm FFing so much crap) 8/31/91, we finally hear from Badstreet, who is quite obviously Brad Armstrong but uses a hilarious Freebirdish voice anyway. Cappetta introduces him as "a member of the Fabulous Freebird Family," which I guess makes him a regional airline.

Movez~ note: In a Gibson/Rhodes-Austin/Studd match from Main Event 9/1/91, Gibson puts an amazing reverse figure four cradle on Studd for the purpose of leaving his throat exposed to a top-rope strike from an interfering Richard Morton. NICE.

Movez~ note: In a Gibson/Rhodes-Austin/Studd match from Main Event 9/1/91, Gibson puts an amazing reverse figure four cradle on Studd for the purpose of leaving his throat exposed to a top-rope strike from an interfering Richard Morton. NICE.

I was actually there live at that taping and that's one of the matches that still stands out in my mind, mainly because of that particular ending.