Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Charles (Loss)

[1993-12-20-WWF-Raw] Sparky Plugg vignette

Holy shit. WWF "New Generation" was the cheesiest era ever. Man, a nascar pilot, how cool. Well, not really.

It's easy to forget how bad the money was in the WWF at this time. Nearly everyone had to have a second job to make ends meet.

Jarrett should be happy with his country music gimmick. Yeah, they did introduce a lot of guys who had a vocation outside wrestling. There were so few new guys who were actually wresters.

I have no recollection of any Sparky vignettes at all. I first saw/heard of him when he came out at the '94 Rumble--I absolutely refused to believe there was a wrestler named "Sparky Plugg," and tried to convince my mother who was in the room, when she asked, "Did he say 'Sparky Plugg?'" that Vince had said something else.

I don't recall the Sparky Plugg name lasting more than a few months before it became Bob "Sparkplug" Holly, which was a little better but not much. I could be wrong, since I wasn't following wrestling regularly at this time.

The irony of this gimmick and Double J was that there aren't two things more associated with the South in popular culture than country music and stock car racing, and Vince supposedly hates all things Southern with a passion, Southern wrestling included. Neither one of these gimmicks was presented tongue-in-cheek (punful name in Holly's case aside), so could this have actually been an attempt on Vince's part to lure WCW's core Southern audience by giving them at least a few wrestlers they could relate to?

Also, I thought I read that Bob Holly really was ​a part-time stock car driver, which is what led to him getting the Sparky Plugg gimmick. Obviously, Vince didn't continue in this vein, since Tony Anthony wasn't a plumber that I know of and Mike Shaw (Friar Ferguson) sure as hell wasn't a priest.