Pro Wrestling Only

1992 Recommendations

Loss

I'm looking all over for the 'Tenryu in New Japan' July '92 tag, other than a busticated version on the NJ Classics set from Baker. Not on Lynch's Japan TV, not on Alfredo's, so where the heck is it?

Are you sure about that date? Tenryu didn't meet with NJPW's front office until late August / early September to get the working deal together. I think the feud started with Koshinaka & Kimura working the 9/15 WAR show, underneath Flair-Tenryu.

If it hasn't been mentioned, the Dojo Sign Feud in New Japan is pretty interesting/fun, and pretty much the start of Koshinaka's push as a heavyweight after several years of being lost after leaving the juniors.

John

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's the "shoot" match?

That's the one where they almost kill Izuka, yeah. It's just brutal and violent.

Scott and Rick just don't hold back on Iizuka at all and then Fujinami starts bringing some violence of his own, including a spike piledriver. It's epic - the fact that it isn't even the best match on the card is testament to the quality of WCW in 1992.

I've had this argument before: everyone says 1989 is THE best year for wrestling and I accept that, but if you limit it just to the main two American companies, I think there's a very strong case for 1992. In my view, WCW never gets as good as the first 6-8 months again and WWF had a great year too with Flair in town.

It's a year where you have the next generation coming through while most of the previous generation are still around and not yet over the hill.

I'm looking all over for the 'Tenryu in New Japan' July '92 tag, other than a busticated version on the NJ Classics set from Baker. Not on Lynch's Japan TV, not on Alfredo's, so where the heck is it?

Are you sure about that date? Tenryu didn't meet with NJPW's front office until late August / early September to get the working deal together. I think the feud started with Koshinaka & Kimura working the 9/15 WAR show, underneath Flair-Tenryu.

If it hasn't been mentioned, the Dojo Sign Feud in New Japan is pretty interesting/fun, and pretty much the start of Koshinaka's push as a heavyweight after several years of being lost after leaving the juniors.

John

I mistook a July '93 match for July '92. Problem solved!

If it hasn't been mentioned, the Dojo Sign Feud in New Japan is pretty interesting/fun

Is this the thing that featured Kobayashi vs. Akitoshi Saito (at least I think that's who it was), just beating the ever loving hell out of each other over some wooden board with some writing on it?

That was on one of the first blocks of NJPW TV I ever saw. Totally unlike anything I'd ever seen in north America before. Bizarre, awesome, bloody, not that long, and a ton of fun. It's something that really stuck with me over the years because it was one of the first things I saw from Japan that was so clearly "different" from what I would be seeing otherwise.

JDW referenced Can-Am Express vs Kawada & Kikuchi from February in another thread. I think it's a neat match that would be a MOTYC if it happened in the US, and it makes the May tag with Kobashi seem less like "oh hey there's these guys called the Can-Am Express, you should care about them". In the end it's marginal but I figure it's worth throwing out there.

I'm guessing they will be included already, since Loss specifically asked about the Larry King stuff, but I'll suggest the following other things, provided they're available on DVD

The A Current Affair piece regarding Hogan on roids, cocke, and the Murray Hodgson lawsuit.

The Donahue piece with Hodgson, Meltzer, Arrezi, etc.

The Geraldo piece on Rita Chatterton

If it hasn't been mentioned, the Dojo Sign Feud in New Japan is pretty interesting/fun

Is this the thing that featured Kobayashi vs. Akitoshi Saito (at least I think that's who it was), just beating the ever loving hell out of each other over some wooden board with some writing on it?

That was on one of the first blocks of NJPW TV I ever saw. Totally unlike anything I'd ever seen in north America before. Bizarre, awesome, bloody, not that long, and a ton of fun. It's something that really stuck with me over the years because it was one of the first things I saw from Japan that was so clearly "different" from what I would be seeing otherwise.

Yeah, that's part of it. And the Dojo Sign Feud sort of morphs at the end into Koshinaka's new group that goes to war with New Japan. Sort of an A to B, similar to Chono going Blackjack, then getting Saito, then finally Tenzan joining up with him.

Anyway, the Dojo Sign Feud isn't too long, not of the matches are exactly 40 minute marthons, and they're quite different from the rest of what one saw in New Japan. I thought a good example of NJPW at the time having a lot of stuff going on the cards. You have your top guys, mostly split between the Choshu era and the Three Musketeers era. You've got your juniors. You've got your young prelim guys, who won't make this set. Then you've got some folks who've been around for a long time, and don't have a lot going on but Choshu & Co. often gave them a little something to do. This was one of the bigger somethings. Kosh came out of it as a bigger star, and for the first time started down that path of being a valuable heavyweight for the company... kind of a Tony Phillips utility man that they could plug into different things. Tony Phillips was never going to be Frank Thomas: an anchor player. But guys like Tony helped a team. Guys like what Kosh evolved into help a promotion.

He'll pop up a lot in later sets, as we saw especially in 1994 with the G1 and as he did in the 1996 one.

John

JDW referenced Can-Am Express vs Kawada & Kikuchi from February in another thread. I think it's a neat match that would be a MOTYC if it happened in the US, and it makes the May tag with Kobashi seem less like "oh hey there's these guys called the Can-Am Express, you should care about them". In the end it's marginal but I figure it's worth throwing out there.

I think this got something like ****1/2 from Dave, right before he started tossing the snowflakes around left and right:

****1/2+ AJPW Matches

1991: 7

1992: 12

1993: 19

In the first three series of 1992, he only had 3 (the other two in Jumbo-Misawa six mans). 9 of them in the last 5 series... snowflake-o-rama started. :)

So it was a well rated AJPW match for the year, even after he went batshit as the year went along. It's a different set of opponent to see Kawada with, and nice to see Kawada pairing with Kikuchi rather than Kobashi.

John