Pro Wrestling Only

Wrestlemania 20 7

goodhelmet

I really didn't get the part in the HHH/Taker match where HHH went and brooded in the corner after hitting Taker with the chair. Was it supposed to be that he had immediate remorse and didn't want to win that way? He had a chance to beat Taker and chose not to, which is totally against his character. Then when Taker starts to wake up HHH yells at him to STAY DOWN. Stay down for what? He was down for a minute and HHH didn't do anything!

Despite all the stuff that's been tossed out that typically makes me cringe, I was willing to give the match a chance whenever it comes out on DVD. But that one just lost me.

Maybe Bruce can make you reconsider, John:

Let’s get the most important part out of the way first:

Undertaker versus Triple H was the single greatest match in the storied history of WrestleMania, and one of the single best matches I’ve seen in 30-plus years of watching professional wrestling.

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Undertaker versus Triple H was the single greatest match in the storied history of WrestleMania, and one of the single best matches I’ve seen in 30-plus years of watching professional wrestling.

I dunno who Bruce is, but he's smoking something illegal.

I dunno who Bruce is, but he's smoking something illegal.

Bruce Mitchell, long time Torch columnist. :)

Scott Hudson's opinion was similarly extreme, but in the opposite direction:

I had the great fortune of being there live and Taker v. HHH was awful. After reading all of the reviews from those who watched the PPV, I went out of my way to watch the televised version to see if I was mistaken. I was. It was beyond awful.

Orton v. Punk and Mysterio v. Rhodes were way better. There was no, NO, heat in the Dome for Taker v. HHH. People were heading to the concession stands after 8 minutes.

Honestly, I do not know what match these folks watched. I certainly respect anyone's right to their own opinion, I just found the whole Taker v. HHH bout to be a slow-motion, no-sell-the-finish-fest. They crammed about 6 minites of good wrestling into what seemed like 45 minutes.

Scott Hudson's opinion was similarly extreme, but in the opposite direction:

I had the great fortune of being there live and Taker v. HHH was awful. After reading all of the reviews from those who watched the PPV, I went out of my way to watch the televised version to see if I was mistaken. I was. It was beyond awful.

Orton v. Punk and Mysterio v. Rhodes were way better. There was no, NO, heat in the Dome for Taker v. HHH. People were heading to the concession stands after 8 minutes.

Honestly, I do not know what match these folks watched. I certainly respect anyone's right to their own opinion, I just found the whole Taker v. HHH bout to be a slow-motion, no-sell-the-finish-fest. They crammed about 6 minites of good wrestling into what seemed like 45 minutes.

Get up! Stop selling and hit another spot! Angle>

The only problem with putting Cena vs Miz anywhere but last is that you can't just leave it hanging after Rocky attacks Cena. The show would have to end with a pull apart or something. Cena would have had two matches to recover and go to Rock's dressing room.

That would be fine but you wouldn't have the suck of the main event ending the show. The Taker-HHH war would have been a fine ending.

Yeah, after Taker got stretchered out they could have had Rock come out on the stage to say some last words, "Wasn't that a hell of a match," blah blah, then Cena comes out to brawl with him and gives him the AA (I don't know if Rock would want to take a bump on the stage but it probably doesn't hurt much worse than the ring). Or they could just do a pull-apart as the show came to a close. Either way, this would work better had there been no physical interaction between the two on the go-home Raw.

I am still confused about Rock's involvement in the WM main event and what actually happened. Dave said in the WON that Rock interfered in the match and gave Cena a Rock Bottom. I have not seen that mentioned anywhere else, and if it did happen, it makes no sense that Cena would shake his hand the next night. I guess I have to watch the match to see what the finish is since almost every recap of it has been different.

I am still confused about Rock's involvement in the WM main event and what actually happened. Dave said in the WON that Rock interfered in the match and gave Cena a Rock Bottom. I have not seen that mentioned anywhere else, and if it did happen, it makes no sense that Cena would shake his hand the next night. I guess I have to watch the match to see what the finish is since almost every recap of it has been different.

Rock restarted the match - though there's no precedent for why he had the power to run around restarting matches. he wasn't GM for the night.

And then he attacked Cena, leading to Miz's win. It was a bullshit ending that made both and Cena and Miz look bad, IMO.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1PbJCUgFpc Watch it while it's still there