Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-01-25-USWA-TV] Jeff Jarrett & Jerry Lawler vs The Moondogs

Loss

• 4 weeks later...

Wow. Another incredibly wild brawl, more like something you'd expect to see in FMW than Memphis. Tables being used as weapons, stiff chairshots and punches, chains, fireballs, blood ... you name it. This was the best and most complete (this appeared to be aired in full, and if it was clipped, only slightly) of all the Mid South Coliseum matches so far.

Another great brawl with the King seemingly replacing Robert Fuller in the feud to freshen things up. Way too much action to call and the majority of the bout is brawling at ringside. There is no finish to the match as referee Paul Neighbors gets taken out by a Jarrett chair shot, and official Frank Morrell comes out from the back and stops the match. For his trouble he gets a chair shot to the head from one of the Moondogs. With the Moondogs beating on Jarrett, Lawler retreats to the back and Eddie Marlin then appears trying to halt everything. After what happened to Neighbors and Morrell he should have know better, and he gets clobbered as well. At which point the King returns and throws fire in the face of Richard Lee. Back at the studio we are informed that upcoming there will be a no disqualification, no stopping match between the two teams.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

I like at one point where Jarrett and one of the Moondogs are near table in front of the crowd. Some old lady gets up out of her front row seat and walks away. She must have been terrified. Another great brawl with lots of objects being thrown around. It looks great on camera when a garbage can flies through the screen and hits someone.

• 1 month later...

Good lord I'm loving this stuff. I especially liked that the Moondogs had a chair that read RIP Jeff Jarrett, after Jarrett and Fuller had the RIP Richard Lee chair from the week before. Just when you think that maybe seeing these teams brawl and go nuts with weapons could start getting repetitive, Lawler shoots a fireball at Richard Lee and you're back to counting the minutes until next week.

• 5 months later...

This is Memphis running up the score as it seals the deal for most entertaining promotion in January 1992. All out craziness with tons of weapons and brawling including on top of a stiff looking table. Juicing everywhere, chairs everywhere, and a Lawler fireball at Richard Lee as well. Love it. Its just too bad this is all we have of it.

• 2 months later...

Just watched this angle (concession stand brawl, Moondogs squash, the Fuller/Jarrett MSC match, and this one), totally blown away by how fantastic it all was. I really dont have much to add, but I will stand this match was my favorite standalone segment of the whole angle. This may be my favorite brawl of all-time as it is really just incredible stuff. This is by far the best stuff I have seen out of my limited USWA watching.

• 2 months later...

I would never, ever have taken Moondog Spike for such a bump machine, but he's good for at least one insanely reckless fall to the floor in each of these matches. This is a complete match that goes for some considerable length, and is so balls-to-the-wall that I can scarcely describe it. Tables are flung about like weapons, stiff chairshots, the bell gets used, the bones make an appearance...finally Paul Neighbors is abused by both teams and Frank Morrell comes out to stop the match and gets absolutely brained with a chairshot from one of the Moondogs. Eddie Marlin unsuccessfully attempts to break things up, and Jerry Lawler hits Richard Lee with a fireball. And we're out.

Don't think it made the Yearbook but Lee cut an absolutely riotous studio interview either this week or next, in full mummy regalia and crying his eyes out about how even though he's never done anything wrong in his life and never hurt anyone, Lawler has permanently disfigured him.

• 1 year later...
  • 8 months later...

At least they had an excuse to tear the place apart this time with the no-DQ stip. That dialed things down to acceptable levels of pandemonium, at least until referees started getting clobbered. I agree with Milano that Morrell should have known better after what happened to Neighbors, and Pops Marlin should definitely have known better after what happened to Morrell. Fortunately, Lawler ends the chaos with a fireball for Richard Lee, as hurting Lee seems to be the only way to get the Dogs to back off.

If someone had told me that the Moondogs could be this wild, vicious and crazy, I would never have believed it. The Moondogs of the WWF were just another generic heel team, even when they were champions with Albano. They had the same look, but they wrestled a very simple style, with the highest form of offense being the backbreaker. They bumped occasionally, but never like this, and the bones were used only sparingly. Forget selling, at least on this scale. By the end of the Dogs' WWF run, Spotty was actually a so-ugly-he's-cute tweener, losing to Harley Race clean and doing one of the first stretcher jobs during Kamala's '86 run via the splash off the top. I say all that to say that I thought the Dogs were washed up and long gone, not perhaps the most vicious team I've seen in years. It's almost enough to make me wonder if they could have retained at least some of their magic in one of the Big Two had they had the opportunity.

Is it just me, or is Corey doing commentary on this bout specifically for the Saturday morning show? He refers to "Dave" several times during his match call, and unless his partner at the MSC was named Dave (I don't know for sure, he could have been), there's only one other Dave he could have been referring to, and Mr. Brown was, of course, getting ready for the late weather back at WMC and thus wasn't in attendance live.

• 2 years later...
  • GSR changed the title to [1992-01-25-USWA-TV] Jeff Jarrett & Jerry Lawler vs The Moondogs