Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-04-14-WWF-Munich, GER] Randy Savage vs Shawn Michaels

Loss

WWF World Heavyweight Champion Randy Savage vs Shawn Michaels - WWF Munich 4/14/92

I have always meant to watch this match and somehow it slipped through the cracks. After the first five minutes, I was thinking to myself how is this not talked about more. They did a Savage formula comeback which means setup move->Elbow Drop-> Finish. It feels abrupt and abridged at the end thus I can see why this is not considered a Match of the Year contender, but it was definitely on its way to being just that from the shine. Savage is putting on a selling clinic before the match even starts as he is selling the injury from Mania VIII. Michaels must be over the moon as this is his first big break as a heel. The Savage/Sherri dynamic is great. The shine may be the greatest shine I have ever seen. Tons of leg dives from the Heartbreak Kid. Savage is avoiding them like the plague. Even Sherri is swiping at the leg from ringside. It really puts over how the deck is stacked against the Macho Man. I love how desperate Savage is to keep his leg away from Michaels. He quite literally is willing to claw at Michaels to keep him away as he rakes his eyes at one point, great verbal selling from Michaels. I love how Savage throws a chair in the ring to buy himself time and how he is hitting one-legged punches and clothesline. The double axe handle spot is great. The way he sells before and the after is just excellent. The spot where Michaels runs into Sherri on the apron is a great way to climax the shine. Michaels finally gets a hold of Savage and hits a kneecrusher. Michaels is really quite good at working over the leg. All the favorites...I thought he was a little too reliant on the figure-4. I would have liked to see him attempt his finish (a back suplex at the time) just to make it feel like he was trying to win the match. Savage pushes him off on the 3rd figure-4 and then hits a one-legged clothesline and Top Rope Elbow Drop. The shine was a ***** shine and the heat segment was damn solid with Michaels showing he can control a match and Savage working so well underneath. If the finish was not so abrupt, this would be rated much higher, but still I highly recommend watching this. **** 

• 1 year later...

I guess I do the short version since everyone covered my takes.

Great selling by Savage.  Great shine with selling throughout.  HUGE bump by Sherri off the apron.  Really good work by Shawn on the knee.  Finish out of nowhere, but it makes sense given Savage's injury.

• 9 months later...