Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Charles (Loss)

[1992-05-16-FMW/UWA/WWA] Atsushi Onita & Mil Mascaras & El Hijo del Santo vs Negro Casas & Tarzan Goto & Giant Warrior

Bizarre match. You could call this a microcosm of the yearbook -- all these different styles side by side, and sometimes, you just don't know what to make of it! :)

The quality difference between Santo and Casas and everyone else is mind-boggling. And I do think some of the others were trying, they just couldn't hang at that level. I said he was in the running at one point, but Casas has to be the best in the world in '92 without a doubt. I love when he plays pinball for Mascaras, taking big bumps off of shoulderblocks. Onita seems caught off guard by the finish.

Not really a great match, but a fun one.

I want to see Santo/Onita vs Casas/Goto in like a Circus coffin on fire death match or something. The Santo/Casas parts were great but I liked the Santo/Goto segment even better. Just so bizarre and awesome.

First few mins of this kinda stunk dog ass but somewhear along the way they all found some weird common ground between the styles and this became a pretty good match.

Strange combinations here. Onita and Goto make quick work of getting bloodied up. They are brawling and such and then Santo and Casas get in the ring and they are flying all over the place and it looks smooth as hell. Just a big contrast of performance within the same match.

Onita and Goto trading headbutts and juice to start is never a bad thing. The highlight the rest of the way were the Santo/Casas exchanges, which to no one's surprise were great, especially a Santo dropkick from the turnbuckle to the floor. The finish was really awkward, as everyone except Onita, Goto and myself were aware it even occurred. Fun but nothing uniquely special or memorable.

***1/4

Some fun stuff here. Onita and Goto came to work, and while they're not outstanding fits for the style they basically work against each other and that's always gold. Santo and Casas are incredible, with Santo doing some of the most gorgeous armdrags in wrestling history. Mascaras provides a few nice holds and no-sells a lot. Giant Warrior is tall. The ending was kind of WTF, to the point where I seriously wonder if everyone knew it was supposed to be 2/3 falls, because they worked this like a 1-fall match, and there are some spots where the non-Mexicans don't seem to know the usual lucha rules.

This is certainly a weird lineup, the only thing missing was bumping GW and Mascaras for Takada and Anjoh. This has it's fun moments, thanks to Casas and Santo, but it just never seemed to really click for me.

A pleasant little oddity. I liked seeing the interpromotional pairings more than the others, but most of the real action happened between Goto and Onita for FMW and Del Santo and Casas for the luchadores, which I guess was for the best.

The second fall was almost too quick to catch. As Pete said, it's almost like they thought they were working a one-fall bout, only to be reminded by the ref that it was two out of three and they had less than a minute left to take it home. To their credit, they improvised a decent finish, but it was just too abrupt.

Someone should tell Mil not to wear a black mask when Casas is in the same bout. For a second, I got the two of them mixed up until I remembered that Casas doesn't wear a mask.

Certainly a dream tag team would be Goto & Casas. It was great to see them actually working together here.

Frankly, Mil in FMW in '92 would have been cool as the Sheik was there at the time. Onita & Mil vs Sabu & the Sheik in a street fight match.

This match reminds me of WAR's 6 man tag tournament. Random ass teams but, basic fun.