Pro Wrestling Only

[1992-07-03-CMLL] El Dandy vs Negro Casas

Loss

This one took a while to get going; in fact, if it had been a one-fall match I would have called it a dud. Thankfully, it wasn't, and things picked up in a hurry over the next two falls, with the third fall being a classic on its own terms. Casas' arrogance cost him several times, as he had Dandy in prime pinning position but refused to hook the leg, allowing Dandy to escape at the last second and eventually score the deciding fall.

I wouldn't say Casas was dirty, but the low blow in the second fall wasn't his only less-than-clean tactic. He engaged Dandy in several slapping contests and stretched his mouth at least once. He was more of the aggressor overall than Dandy, but couldn't make it pay off for himself in the end.

I liked Dandy's spinning toehold into a bridge which ended the second fall. I've probably seen it before in other lucha bouts, but I can't remember for sure.

The referee was unusually strict here, not allowing even the slightest hint of rulebreaking as long as he could see it. Fortunately, Casas is a good enough worker that such limitations didn't make it impossible for him to put on a good match. More American heels should learn that lesson. Of course, it would help if American referees enforced the rules more strictly as well.

The video quality was so bad that a good part of the action took place in the middle of the tracking lines. Fortunately, the match was simple enough that I could tell what was going on anyway.

• 11 months later...

http://placetobenation.com/countdown-top-500-matches-of-the-90s-50-1/2/

The first fall of this match is simply incredible. I was mesmerized by Casas and his scrappiness and use of counters. He was fighting off a camel clutch, and a lot of times wrestlers just sink right in. I love little things like that. Another time, he kicks the hand of Dandy off of him when Dandy is going for an Irish whip. There's all the amazing matwork that's already been discussed. Dandy goes for a Sharpshooter (not sure what he'd call it), and gets a nasty slap in the face from Casas. That's what it's all about for me. I would have preferred a submission or pintail finish after all the big moves in the third fall. But, the excitement of the nearfalls was extremely high. So, I'm not going to let that count against the match for me. There is just too much great to really care about that. *****. I'll add I agree Casas was the MVP, he really blew me away with the stuff he was pulling out.

• 1 year later...

I'll be the outlier, I really didn't like this at all.

I haven't seen much Lucha at all so I'm likely missing out on some subtleties but I also don't see how this type of match would work in the US or Japan (in terms of universal appeal).

What stuck out to me was how blasé both guys seemed. The first fall is fairly unexciting matwork, not done poorly, but also not really feeling like any sort of actual struggle. The quick pop to the outside with slaps was great and seemed to set the stage for what type of match this would be, but that was it. The ending felt anticlimactic, but as the 1st fall I expected things to come together later on.

2nd fall started great with Casas being the aggressor, but all of a sudden he became extremely tired. Like, Dandy is able to reverse a clothesline attempt into a tilt-a-whirl backbreaker and Casas is done. I read in one of the other reviews that his selling was "so good, because he's dead but is able to keep pulling himself up". I didn't get that at all. His selling was like taking a nap and then he'd get up and do the next spot. Without any context (past this being a title final and Casas being the rudo) I didn't get any sense of personalities here which to me in integral without English commentary to help me along.

3rd fall had bigger moves but again felt very disconnected and static. Moves were hit, back and forth, no real struggle, no buildup to the end. 

I feel like I'm obviously missing out on something because I respect that most of you love this, but this didn't get me excited to watch any more Lucha. This felt like they were going through the motions and Dandy especially was very bland.

• GSR changed the title to [1992-07-03-CMLL] El Dandy vs Negro Casas
  • 1 year later...

I loved Casas' mat counters.  Just amazing stuff.  Using the sharpshooter to win the first caida after not letting Dandy get the same move earlier was a nice figurative slap in the face.  The foul kick was such a brilliant move and used at the exact moment the referee wasn't looking.  Loved Dandy's comeback and the roll-up to win caida 2.  Dandy coming out with not one but two (take that Casas!) running dropkicks to start Caida 3 was awesome after the way Casas started Caida 2.  Pierroth contributed to the match at ringside, bitching and moaning whenever Dandy kicked out.  Dandy using the Casita on Casas was an amazing finish.