Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Loss

[1992-07-11-USWA-Memphis TV] Interview: Tom Prichard

I didn't realize Pritchard worked both SMW and the USWA this long. I guess he did this until SMW was running shows regularly enough that he could go there full time. This is probably Pritchard's best interview that I've seen.

I think Pritchard worked USWA well into 93. His best promo was the one after he turned babyface and actually acknowledged the Roddy Piper gimmick critics. And he will wrestle Brian Christopher for free.

Surprising to see him show up again on USWA as I figure he was off to SMW permanently at this point. Always interesting to see guys play heel in one organization and face in another.

I'm not sure what the set-up here is. Prichard is still "gone" from the USWA, he's challenging for Christopher's Southern title, and yet he's got a belt with him. And it's not an SMW tag title. Still, the promo is good and the set-up acknowledging Christopher's adventures with the homeless guy even better.

Tom was still doing Memphis the first few days of the week and then making SMW shots on the weekend. He and Brian Christopher kept trading the Southern title back and forth.

Great promo, but the belt thing's got me intrigued. It's not the Southern belt, which Brian still has, but if it's not one of the SMW tag belts, then what belt is it? It looks too good to be a belt from a promotion smaller than SMW.

I still think they wasted an opportunity when they didn't have Dr. Tom's two "careers" intersect at least briefly. Maybe Corny was too busy to go over to Memphis, but Brian could have come to Knoxville for a few dates instead and played babyface for the SMW crowd as a part of his continuing development. It's not like they needed the Southern title to headline every single card, with Jeff/Lawler-Moondogs still hot and Eddie finally having a Unified title run.