Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Charles (Loss)

[1992-10-17-UWA] Silver King & El Texano & Gran Hamada vs El Signo & Black Power & Negro Navarro

Excellent match. I'm not sure what to expect with UWA because of the February classic featuring many of these guys, and also because these matches have never really been talked about all that much. This isn't as seamless as the 2/29 match, but it's still very good and has a lot of interesting spots that would eventually be fleshed out in Michinoku Pro.

This is another strong 6 man. Count me in in the Los Cowboy's love. Navarro looks jacked here. I thought the comedy in the match was really good, plus their were spots here where the timing was spot on perfect.

Both refs were sporting some fros. This felt like a race. They were moving so fast out there and hitting everything. Crazy looking submission in there that I liked. Very good match.

This was a mess at points and I thought Hamada was mostly useless here, which holds it back from being a luchy MOTYC, but it's another feather in the cap of Los Cowboys as a working tag team and there were some great intricate spots here after some standout matwork to open. Black Power is this Yearbook's version of the Scorpion--the person I've never, ever heard of who's completely awesome and who immediately has me wondering what else is out there (eastern European shootstyle guys are exempted from being considered).

I did not dig this very much at all. This was pretty good when Hamada was in, and too much like an exhibition when he wasn't. The first fall had a hot finishing sequence, the second was predictable and predictably quick, while the third had a terribly anticlimactic finish. Too long for what they did even if the work wasn't bad, just not particularly captivating.

**3/4

This was fun, but not outstanding. Very fluid action for the first 2 falls before it broke down in the third and got chaotic. That's not a criticism though. It felt like a natural progression. My favorite part was the standoff between Hamada and Black Power early on.

Another match I had to sit through because I paid for the discs. I've given up on trios, I think. If these guys want to show me how good they supposedly are, let them come to the WWF or WCW and learn to work U.S.-style.

That critique may seem overly quick and harsh to some of you, but look at it this way: At least I spared you my normal laundry list of problems I have with the trios style.