Pro Wrestling Only

Can heel vs. heel ever work

JerryvonKramer

I think we all agree on that: booked as heel vs heel, but not at all worked heel vs heel in the pre-match or match. The promos are probably on youtube, and the vibe was just a bit more heelish on Macho while Jake was sliding closer into his face-ish role.

John

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SD6 was another example of the degrees of heeldom thing

I'm blanking on any specific examples but I know Heyman would do this in ECW too

I think heel v. heel dynamics work great as long as you have good performers and a reason for it. I've always loved matches where both guys are trying to cheat and take shortcuts.....it happens in real life and other forms of media as noted, so why not in wrestling?

An old school example would be Blassie vs the Sheik from LA in'69. Of course I wasn't there, and I don't think any footage exists (but if it does Id love to see it!), but from what I've read I think the big attraction for fans, and what made the match work, was seeing two crazy, bloodthirsty motherfuckers tear each other apart. Blassie, being the hometown guy, was cheered, but I don't think he deviated very much from his heel back of tricks in the matches. But again, I wasn't there, so I'm just guessing.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

. Face vs. Face has produced some of the best ever matches. But the dynamic of heel vs. heel makes no sense at all from the crowd's perspective.

What are these face v face matches that were best matches ever? or have had effective booking dynamics?

Monster v monster for the spectacle of mostrosity: Abby v Brodyish stuff has always worked and heel v heel with heels trying ot outheel their opponent was drivining force of EMLL booking for a while. Tiered heels has also been effective booking strategy for a while: you run Inoki/Fujinami v Zambouiee Express and run Choshu/Hamaguchi v

Zambouiee Express to set up Choshu/Hamaguchi v Inoki/Fujinami.

I'm not too trendy to say:

Warrior vs. Hogan (WM6) - fantastically booked "passing of the torch" angle that was electric at the time and still held in extremely high regard in the popular wrestling fan's consciousness today

Warrior vs. Savage (WM7) - sort of counts, great retirement match

Bret Hart vs. Roddy Piper (WM8) - good match

Warrior vs. Savage (SS 92) - great angle this with Flair and Perfect's shennanigans around the ring, then destroying Savage's leg and Warrior doing the honorable tihng and not taking advantage. And I think it's a pretty good match too

Bret Hart vs. 123 Kid (on Raw) - decent little match

Breat Hart vs. Shawn Michaels (WM12)

Rock vs. Austin (WM17)

And of course ...

Sting and Luger vs. The Steiners (Superbrawl I)

Breat Hart vs. Shawn Michaels (WM12)

Is that considered to be a good match?

Rock vs. Austin (WM17)

That's a match that builds to and ends with a heel turn.

Warrior vs. Hogan (WM6) - fantastically booked "passing of the torch" angle that was electric at the time and still held in extremely high regard in the popular wrestling fan's consciousness today

You were talking about the crowd dynamics hurting the booking of heel v heel.

I thought at this point Warrior v Hogan is pointed to as something that hurt Warriors long term prospects and as a reason you need a transitional heel champion.

The dynamics of face v face (even when it doesn't get the "boring chant" and Bobby Heenan on commentary pontificatingabout "eventually one of these guys will have to throw a punch") splits a crowd and leaves the crowd sympathetic to the defeated face.

Pedro Morales v Bruno famously is something that hurt Morales, too.

Well Meltzer gave it ****1/4 and our old friend Scott Keith gave it ****3/4, so sure it was "rated". I haven't seen it in about 10 years, but I do remember being bored for large chunks of it.

But then in any 45+ minute match, you get lag periods. I mean I've found myself bored at some of the matwork on the All Japan set in some of the longer matchers, even in the transcendent Flair vs. Jumbo from 83, so you're always going to get that, no?

Well Meltzer gave it ****1/4 and our old friend Scott Keith gave it ****3/4, so sure it was "rated".

Using SKeith as a reference is a huge no-no.

The match is *good* at best to me, which for a "Bret passing the torch to Michaels at WM" match, should be considered a failure.

El-P, you should know I hate Scott Keith more than anyone, but as a barometer for what IWC smarks were saying at the time, he's generally a good litmus test.

His ratings and Meltzer's ratings are seldom more than a star apart. I mean if Bret, HBK or Benoit are part of a match with either of them you can generally expect a *** minimum rating from either of them. If Hogan is involved, likewise, you can probably expect to - a * or two. I reckon if you gave me a match, just from the two workers involved I could predict what both Meltzer and Keith would give it without seeing the match.

But yeah, Keith is not a guy to lean on for making a case, but he is a guy who can reflect what people were saying at the time.

What point were you trying to make with Savage v. Warrior?

Hard to say looking back.

It's probably one of the greatest face turns of all time, so by the time it's over the match we'd just seen between a heel and a face was retroactively face vs. face, but I'm aware this is a weak argument.

The Summerslam 92 example is better. I think a face vs. face match with third-party heel shennanigans on the outside is a formula we don't see very often. I love that "Who's corner is Mr. Perfect going to be in?" angle.