Pro Wrestling Only

1998 Recommendations

Loss

Use this thread to post recommendations for the yearbook.

I don't want to put requirements on making recommendations necessarily, but I will kindly ask a favor -- if you recommend something, if you could, maybe just include a brief reason that you're recommending it. It doesn't have to be elaborate, but just something for us to see why it should go on.

If you make recommendations that pique my curiosity, I will do my part to ask more follow-up questions to make sure I have a good understanding of why it was recommended.

In addition, I will use this thread to list matches I come across when looking through various lists that look interesting on paper to ask if anyone has seen them.

Thanks!

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1-10-98 Sabu vs. Sandman ECW (Stairway to Hell)

Pain. Lots of pain.

Misawa vs. Akiyama 1-26-98 AJPW

Akiyama can throw big bombs like Misawa but he cannot weather incoming bombs yet is what I took from this...and that Akiyama wasn't "ready" to be the Ace he was supposed to become yet.

Toshiaki Kawada vs. Mitsuharu Misawa (03/29/98)

This is also a half hour draw Misawa/Kawada carny match. And it's still Misawa vs. Kawada.

Toshiaki Kawada vs. Mitsuharu Misawa (05/01/98)

Kawada finally gets his. Six years in the making.

5/29/98 – Volk Han vs. Tsuyoshi Kohsaka RINGS

This match actually disappointed me by not being as good as some of the others. It is still awesome though.

Kawada vs. Kobashi 6-12-98 AJPW

Probably the best Kobashi/Kawada singles match they had.

6/27/98 – Kiyoshi Tamura vs. Tsuyoshi Kohsaka RINGS

#2 RINGS match.

Undertaker vs. Mankind (WWF KOTR, Hell in Cell, 06/28/98)

Needs no explanation.

Mike Awesome vs. Masato Tanaka – ECW “Heat Wave ‘98” (8/2/98)

Pretty sure this is their debut against one another in the ECW setting. While it is not the best of their series, it is still awesome.

Mitsuharu Misawa vs. Kenta Kobashi (10/31 - Tokyo Nippon Budokan) (AJPW)

Not as good as their January '97 match, but still on par with the other huge matches they had against one another.

12-5-98 Hardy Boys vs. Serial Thrillaz OMEGA

I've always wondered why the Hardy Boyz stopped working this way and continued the insane highspots after they had complained about injuries for years.

Never seen: (but heard good stuff)

7-15-98 Jushin Liger vs. Koji Kanemoto NJPW

1998 Assumptions (that aren't mentioned above)

Bigelow vs RVD, ECW 4/4

Hayabusa vs Gannosuke, FMW 4/30

Kanemoto vs Wagner, NJ 6/3

Hashimoto vs Tenryu, NJ 8/1

Ohtani & Takaiwa vs Kanemoto & Wagner, NJ 8/8

Kobashi & Omori vs Misawa & Shinzaki, AJ 10/24 (clipped comm. version; Burning Hammer debut)

Goldberg vs DDP, WCW Halloween Havoc 10/25

Recommendations

AJ

Kawada vs Akiyama, CC: Their only singles match to be taped after the CC '95 bout. So there's historical significance, and it's a good match, but the crowd is kinda bad and it isn't a MOTYC.

Kobashi vs Akiyama, CC: This one is very straightforward and action-packed.

Akiyama vs Hase, 5/1: There are some flaws, for instance a suplex exchange, but at least at this point the spot was fresh. Meanwhile you get two world-class athletes having a Tokyo Dome-sized match, and Akiyama really looks ready for primetime.

Kawada & Taue vs Kobashi & Ace, 6/5: The last big bout for Kobashi & Ace. Sometimes lacks energy, and isn't on par with the mid-90s stuff, but the finish is good enough for this to deserve a spot.

Kawada & Taue vs Takayama & Kakihara, 7/19: Somewhat marginal, but it's hard-hitting and compact, and you get the UWFi/Kingdom-vs-AJ aspect.

Akiyama & Hase vs Kobashi & Kea, 7/19: Great setup to Kobashi vs Akiyama, and a great preview of their NOAH feud.

Albright & Takayama vs Taue & Izumida, 7/24 (TV version): They JIP it in exactly the right place, because the full version drags. Izumida is a really compelling underdog and the crowd gets behind him.

Kobashi vs Akiyama, 7/24: Akiyama does the best job attacking a limb I think I've ever seen, and Kobashi sells it pretty much the maximum amount. Akiyama looks much more like an All Japan main eventer than he did vs Misawa.

Misawa, Akiyama & Asako vs Kawada, Ogawa & Omori, 8/23: This isn't so much a Misawa vs Kawada 6-man, as it is about Akiyama and Ogawa. This in many ways is a breakout match for Ogawa, who just a few months later was shifted into his career-making role as Misawa's partner.

Akiyama vs Ogawa, 9/11: Continuing from the 6-man, and a VERY fun, smartly-worked bout.

Kobashi vs Taue, 9/11: Lots o' bombs, but not too many.

Kawada & Taue vs Kobashi & Akiyama, 10/11: The first big tag for the new Burning unit. And, um, it's these four in a match.

Kobashi & Akiyama vs Vader & Hansen, RWTL final: Burning faces what on paper is just about the toughest team in wrestling history. Hansen is well over the hill at this point but he's still got some fight in him.

Other Japan

Ohtani vs Ultimo Dragon, NJ 1/4: The first half is forgettable, but they produce a Dome-level finish.

Masato Tanaka vs Mr. Gannosuke, Double Titles, FMW 1/6: Huge match for Gannosuke. He looks really good, with a unique control segment and he's able to more than hang with Tanaka during the big finish.

Teioh vs Funaki, UWF welterweight title, MPro 1/14: It's a shame that technical wrestling has largely fallen by the wayside in Japan. Teioh *loves* old-school matwork, and Funaki was IMO at his peak here. Hidden gem.

Sasuke, Hamada & Tiger Mask 4 vs Togo, Funaki & Super Boy, MPro 1/16: Somewhat of a last hurrah for the KDX storyline before it dissolved as a result of WWF and Osaka Pro.

Tamura vs Ilioukhine, RINGS 1/21: Wow, quite the January. Ili is one of the "other Russians" who would be considered a shoot-style king if it weren't for Han. This is RINGS at its best.

Tanaka vs Tajiri, Big Japan junior tournament, 2/3

Gedo vs Tajiri, Big Japan junior tournament final, 2/3. These two matches *must* go together. You have Tanaka, who was pretty much the ace of indy juniors, against BJPW's all-time best junior product. That's followed by Gedo delivering a vastly superior performance to anything in the J Cups, as he heels it up while also furthering the psych established in the Tanaka match. This was really the last thing of significance from Tajiri before he came stateside, and you can see why he became a star in the US.

Gannosuke vs Shinzaki, FMW 4/21: Death From Above covered this in his short-lived PWO blog.

Kanemoto vs Yasuroka, NJ BOSJ: Kanemoto being a jerk to a lesser opponent can be really fun. Case in point: this.

Liger vs Fukuda, NJ BOSJ Ohtani vs Fukuda, NJ BOSJ: Fukuda died two years later. He was ugly as sin, but he tried hard. These are his highlight matches. One is clipped and the other is JIP so it won't take much space.

Chono vs Koshinaka, New Japan G-1: I think Chono is generally overrated, and Koshinaka was spotty, but they just mesh so well as opponents. And NJ knew it too, because they faced off a ton in the '90s.

Hashimoto vs Kojima, New Japan G-1: Spunky Kojima against surly Hashimoto. I love that Hash seems legit pissed at Kojima being too much of a Choshu-ism no-seller, and accordingly Hash beats him up harder for it.

Kiyoshi Tamura vs Yoshihisa Yamamoto, RINGS 9/21: I'm not alone in rating this ahead of Tamura vs TK. Great action, the usual high-end matwork, and lots of drama down the stretch thanks to the point system.

Backlund vs Ikeda, Battlarts 10/5: Backlund had one last moment of greatness in Battlarts. He could still go!

Tenryu & Koshinaka vs Mutoh & Tenzan, tag titles, NJ 10/18: This one came out of nowhere on a TV block. Man alive! Drama, action, heat, it's all there.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I know Loss has been adament about keeping real stuff on these comps, but I think an interesting comparison to the best 1998 RINGS matches would be Sakuraba's fights against Vernon White (Pride 2) and Carlos Newton (Pride 3). For as "realistic" as TK/Tamura may have been at the time, Saku's real fights are much more entertaining and if you didn't know, you could probably trick yourself into thinking that they were working.

• 2 weeks later...

Backlund vs Ikeda, Battlarts 10/5: Backlund had one last moment of greatness in Battlarts. He could still go

I liked this but it's more goofy fun then a quality match, i'd have it as a borderline pick at most. Instead i'll nominate

10/23/1998

Yuki Ishikawa & Bob Backlund vs Alexander Otsuka & Hisakatsu Oya

You can really tell the Bat Bat guys are just totally marking out to be in thear with Backlund, loving it just as much as the fans. Anyways, this was much better then the Ikeda singles match wth a more impressive Backlund performance as you still get all the crazy old man fun but also get more "hey don't forget i'm still a really great wrestler who'll rip your freakin arm off" stuff to go along with it. Lot of diffrent things going on in this match, some comedy, some shoot style, some old school Muga goodness, someone busting out a suicide dive. Really impressed by how well they blended it all together. They aren't doing 1 long stretch of a certain style and then moving on, they pretty rapidly switch from one mode to another but it all feels totally natural and seamless with everyone on the same page. Good stuff

I like watching sets with commentary I can understand, so even tho I will say Japan & Mexico stuff is usually better than USA wrestling 85-90% of the time, I'm only nominating USA stuff, everything listed here I've seen myself in full & happy to join in on any questions/discussions involving them.

Starrcade 98 - Washington DC - MCI Center - December 27, 1998

Billy Kidman vs Juventud Guerrera vs Rey Mysterio Jr.

Billy Kidman vs Eddie Guerrero

Kidman really became a ''real'' Cruiserweight champion on this show, he worked roughly 15 minutes in the triple threat, them worked a second match vs Guerrero right afterwards, in all he was in the ring for almost 30 minutes a solid cruiserweight wrestling action.

Great American Bash 98 - Baltimore, MD - Arena - June 14, 1998

WCW TV Champion Fit Finlay vs Booker T

again, this was the phase when Booker really started to emerge from Harlem Heat & prove he could go 1 on 1

Halloween Havoc 98 - Las Vegas, NV - MGM Grand Garden Arena - October 25, 1998

WCW World Champion Bill Goldberg vs Diamond Dallas Page

I can remember being a wrestler myself for 2 years at this point & actually turned down a booking on this night just to stay home & watch this match/show. (what was I thinking?!) it was actually about as hot as a baby vs baby match could be, the crown was jacked & DDP delivered a decent match here, one of what I condider few for him.

SuperBrawl VIII - San Francisco, CA - Cow Palace - February 22, 1998

WCW Cruiserweight Champion Chris Jericho vs Juventud Guerrera in a title vs. mask match; we saw Juvy's face for the first time here & the match itself was decent.

Slamboree 98 - Worcester, MA - Centrum - May 17, 1998

WCW TV Champion Fit Finlay vs Chris Benoit,

solid wrestling in this one

Fall Brawl 98 - Winston-Salem, NC - Lawrence Joel Coliseum - September 13, 1998

Perry Saturn vs Raven

I remember watching this show & remembering that this match was one of the best matches wcw had the entire year imo. Everything else on this ppv was the drizzling shits....

Spring Stampede 98 - Denver, CO - Coliseum - April 19, 1998

WCW TV Champion Booker T vs Chris Benoit

one of the better matches of the best of 13 series.

Uncensored 98 - Mobile, AL - Civic Center - March 15, 1998

US Champion DDP vs Raven vs Chris Benoit

solid triple threat match here with a little bit of everything, Ravens selling ability & Benoits ring skills, the two of them made Page look like a million bucks

Souled Out 98 - Dayton, OH - Hara Arena - January 24, 1998

WCW Cruiserweight Champion Rey Mysterio Jr. vs Chris Jericho

I thought this was by far the best match of this ppv & was Mysterio's last wcw match for 6 months due to needing knee surgery, match featured a rare babyface tapout.

WrestleMania XIV - Boston, MA - FleetCenter - March 29, 1998

WWF World Champion Shawn Michaels vs Steve Austin

no way this match can be left off any set for 98, it started Austins 1st WWF Title reign & also marked the final match for hbk for several years.

Survivor Series 98 - St. Louis, MO - Kiel Center - November 15, 1998

WWF World Title Touranment Finals: The Rock vs WWF Hardcore Champion Mankind

The Corporate Champion era, The Rock really takes off!

Royal Rumble 98 - San Jose, CA - Arena - January 18, 1998

WWF World Champion Shawn Michaels vs The Undertaker

casket match

This casket was set on fire after the match & this is the match in which HBK gets the back injury that ended his career just a couple of months after.

Summer Slam 98 - New York City, NY - Madison Square Garden - August 30, 1998

X-Pac vs Jeff Jarrett

good gimmick match ended with a head shaving.

WWF World Champion Steve Austin vs the Undertaker

the highway to hell theme songed match...

Austin shows great toughness in this match as he gets a legit concussion in the first spot of the match just seconds into it & still gets it together & goes 22 minutes w/ Taker.

10/5/98

(B-CUP '98 Tournament R1) Yuki Ishikawa vs Mitsuhiro Matsunaga

Good vs Evil, Them vs Us, 2 mother fuckers that don't like each other about to fight. Ishikawa, Battlarts Ace, representitive of clean pure skill based sportsman like grappling & striking contest. Matsunaga, Mr. Danger, dastardly invader, representitive of anything goes, weapon wielding hardcore matches. Matsunaga waste no time getting things started as he whips out a fuckin sword he smugled into the ring and goes after Ishikawa. He then uses every other dirty trick he can think of, he stabs him with a fork, he uses chairs, he chokes, he stomps, he bites him with his vampire fangs, just for the hell of it he goes back to his martial arts roots and tosses in a few karate kicks and a suplex too. Ishikawa fights back here and thear but keeps getting cut off and gets bloodied up. He does kind of wussy blade job on his head actually but all is forgiven when a few mins later he goes to the complete other end of the spectrum of balls out manliness and gets his arm legit carved up by Matsunaga's fork and starts driping blood all over. Finally he's able to catch Matsunaga with something and make his comeback to the delight of the crowd, and since this match is about pride as much as anything he never results to using Matsunaga's own weaposn against him. Instead he proves his style is better and finishes him with holds & suplexes, a quick sleeper puts Matsunaga out and Ishikawa mounts him and rains down punches as the ref calls for the bell and gives him the KO victory. Pro Wrestling can't get any more Pro Wrestling then this match here.

• 2 months later...

WWF MSG 1/10/98 Steve Austin and Cactus Jack vs Rock and D'lo Brown

WWF ANAHEIM, CA 1/16/98 Goldust vs Vader, Jeff Jarrett vs. Owen Hart, D-Lo Brown/Rock vs. Cactus Jack/Steve Austin

WWF NEW HAVEN, CT 4/18/98 Goldust vs Owen Hart

WWF SEATTLE WA 9/12/98 WWF Title Mankind vs. Kane vs. The Undertaker vs. "Stone Cold" Steve Austin

WWF ANAHEIM POND CA 11/21/98 Mankind vs Ken Shamrock (IC title streetfight)

WWF SAN JOSE, CA 11/22/98 Al Snow vs. X-Pac

• 4 months later...

We won't be doing the 1998 Yearbook for a while, but I wanted to bump this to see if anyone who has all the WONs from '98 could compile all the New Japan WON star ratings for the year? The tOA list stops at '97, unfortunately. Giving as much notice as possible in case this is a long project. Thanks.

NJPW 1998

Posted by cNJ

March 06, 2000 17:36:17 U.S. CST

01/04/98 Otani vs. Dragon (Jr. Title) ****1/4

01/04/98 Chono vs. Koshinaka ***

01/04/98 Sasaki vs. Muto (World Title) ***1/2

01/12/98 Liger vs. Otani (Jr. Title) ****1/4

01/31/98 Liger & Nanjyo vs. Takaiwa & Otani ***1/2

01/31/98 Sasaki & Yamazaki & Hirata vs. Kojima & Nakanishi & Nishimura ***

02/05/98 Liger & Samurai & Ka Shin vs. Kanemoto & Otani & Takaiwa ****1/4

02/05/98 Koshinaka & Gotoh & Ohara vs. Tenzan & Muto & nWo Sting ***1/4

02/21/98 Chono & Muto vs. Kojima & Nakanishi (World Tag) ***

02/21/98 Liger vs. Kanemoto ****1/4

02/28/98 Liger & Samurai & Ka Shin vs. Takaiwa & Kanemoto & Otani ***3/4

03/07/98 Koshinaka vs. Chono ***1/2

03/14/98 Kanemoto & Otani vs. Wagner & Liger ****

03/14/98 Koshinaka & Gotoh & Ohara vs. Nishimura & Nakanishi & Kojima ***3/4

03/21/98 Ka Shin vs. Liger ***

03/21/98 Fujinami & Yamazaki vs. Muto & Tenzan ***

04/11/98 Hashimoto & Kojima vs. Muto & Wallstreet ***1/4

04/25/98 Liger vs. Ka Shin (Jr. Title) ***

04/25/98 Chono & Muto vs. Nishimura & Hashimoto ***3/4

05/02/98 Liger & Ka Shin vs. Takaiwa & Otani ****

05/02/98 Saito & Tenzan vs. Sasaki & Nakanishi ***

05/02/98 Tenryu & Koshinaka vs. Kojima & Fujinami ****

05/09/98 Otani & Kanemoto & Takaiwa vs. Ka Shin & Liger & Samurai ****1/2

05/09/98 Fujinami & Nishimura vs. Hirata & Sasaki ***1/4

05/09/98 Tenzan & Chono & Saito vs. Koshinaka & Tenryu & Ohara ***3/4

05/16/98 Liger & Samurai & Ka Shin vs. Kanemoto & Otani & Takaiwa ***1/2

05/16/98 Tenzan vs. Nishimura ***1/2

05/16/98 Tenryu & Koshinaka & Ohara vs. Nakanishi & Sasaki & Kojima ***1/2

05/23/98 Shiryu vs. Felino (Super Jr. tourney) ***1/4

05/23/98 Takaiwa vs. Liger (Super Jr. tourney) ***1/2

05/30/98 Liger & Samurai & Wagner Jr. vs. Felino & Takaiwa & Shiryu ***1/4

05/30/98 Otani vs. Fukuda (Super Jr. tourney) ***3/4

05/30/98 Kanemoto vs. Ka Shin (Super Jr. tourney) ***3/4

06/13/98 Kojima & Nakanishi vs. Gotoh & Ohara (IWGP Tag tourney) ***1/4

06/13/98 Tenryu & Koshinaka vs. Nakanishi & Kojima (IWGP Tag tourney) ***1/2

06/20/98 Kanemoto vs. Wagner Jr. (Super Jr. final) ****3/4

06/27/98 Tenzan & Chono vs. Koshinaka & Tenryu (IWGP Tag tourney final) ****1/2

07/04/98 Ka Shin & Kanemoto vs. Samurai & Liger ***1/2

07/04/98 Wagner Jr. & Liger vs. Takaiwa & Otani ***1/2

07/11/98 Samurai & Ka Shin vs. Otani & Kanemoto ****

07/11/98 Liger vs. Wagner Jr. ***1/4

07/25/98 Liger & Samurai vs. Otani & Kanemoto ***1/2

08/01/98 Liger vs. Kanemoto (Jr. Title) ****1/2

08/01/98 Tenryu & Koshinaka vs. Chono & Tenzan (Tag Titles) ***1/4

08/08/98 Chono vs. Nakanishi (G1) ***3/4

08/08/98 Tenryu vs. Muto (G1) ****

08/15/98 Kojima vs. Yasuda (G1) ****

08/15/98 Yamazaki vs. Sasaki (G1) ***1/2

08/15/98 Chono vs. Koshinaka (G1) ****1/4

08/15/98 Hashimoto vs. Tenryu (G1) ****3/4

08/22/98 Yamazaki vs. Chono (G1) ***1/4

08/22/98 Hashimoto vs. Kojima (G1) ****

08/22/98 Hashimoto vs. Yamazaki (G1 Final) ****1/4

08/29/98 Tenryu vs. Hashimoto (Japanese Heavyweight Title) ***

09/05/98 Kanemoto & Wagner Jr. vs. Ka Shin & Yasuraoka (Jr. Tag Title Tourney) ****

09/05/98 Otani & Takaiwa vs. Samurai & Liger (Jr. Tag Title Tourney) ****

09/05/98 Otani & Takaiwa vs. Wagner Jr. & Kanemoto (Jr. Tag Title Tourney Final) ****1/2

09/12/98 Kojima & Nakanishi vs. Fujita & Nagata ***1/2

09/12/98 Sasuke vs. Liger ***1/2

09/19/98 Liger vs. Sasuke (Jr. Title) ****

09/26/98 Samurai & Liger vs. Takaiwa & Otani ***3/4

10/03/98 Frye & Johnston vs. Akitoshi Saito & Fujinami ***

10/03/98 Takaiwa & Otani vs. Ka Shin & Liger ***3/4

10/03/98 Nagata & Sasaki vs. Yamazaki & Hashimoto (Tag tourney final) ***1/4

10/10/98 Otani & Takaiwa vs. B. Tiger & Jericho (Jr. Tag Titles) ***1/2

10/17/98 Liger vs. Hayashi (Jr. Title) ***1/2

10/24/98 Otani & Kanemoto & Takaiwa vs. Samurai & Liger & Ka Shin ****1/4

10/24/98 Nagata & Yamazaki vs. Fujita & Nakanishi ***

10/31/98 Frye vs. Akitoshi Saito ***1/2

10/31/98 Sasuke vs. Kanemoto ***1/4

10/31/98 Ka Shin & Liger vs. Otani & Takaiwa ****

10/31/98 Nakanishi & Kojima vs. Iizuka & Nagata ***3/4

10/31/98 Koshinaka & Tenryu vs. Tenzan & Muto (World Tag) ****1/2

11/07/98 Takaiwa & Otani vs. Ka Shin & Kanemoto (Jr. Tag Titles) ****1/2

11/07/98 Liger vs. Samurai (Jr. Title) ****1/4

11/07/98 Kojima & Muto vs. Nagata & Hashimoto ***3/4

11/14/98 Wagner Jr. & Liger & Samurai vs. Kanemoto & Otani & Takaiwa ****1/2

11/14/98 Nagata & Fujita vs. Johnston & Frye ***

11/21/98 Takaiwa vs. Kanemoto ***1/2

11/21/98 Liger vs. Otani ****1/4

11/21/98 Muto & Kojima & Adams vs. Ohara & Tenryu & Koshinaka ***1/2

11/28/98 Takaiwa & Kanemoto & Otani vs. Wagner Jr. & Liger & Ka Shin ***3/4

11/28/98 Hashimoto & Fujinami vs. Nagata & Nakanishi (Tag Tourney) ***1/4

12/05/98 Takaiwa & Kanemoto vs. Samurai & Liger ***1/2

12/19/98 Liger vs. Takaiwa (Jr. Title) ****1/4

12/19/98 Muto & Kojima vs. Yamazaki & Sasaki ***3/4

12/19/98 Fujinami & Hashimoto vs. Koshinaka & Tenryu (Tag Tourney) ***

12/26/98 Muto & Kojima vs. Koshinaka & Tenryu (Tag Tourney) ****

12/26/98 Kojima & Muto vs. Fujinami & Hashimoto (Tag Tourney Finals) ***3/4

All ratings from WON.

1998 had 89 matches rated at *** and above.

- 9 matches MOTYC (****1/2+)

- 22 matches **** to ****1/4

- 34 matches ***1/2 to ***3/4

- 24 matches *** to ***1/4

Splits:

-----------

Singles matches:

-----------

Tag:

09/05/98 Kanemoto & Wagner Jr. vs. Ka Shin & Yasuraoka (Jr. Tag Title Tourney) ****

09/05/98 Otani & Takaiwa vs. Wagner Jr. & Kanemoto (Jr. Tag Title Tourney Final) ****1/2

-----------

Six Man:

-----------

By */Date

**** 3/4

**** 1/2

**** 1/4

*** 3/4

*** 1/2

*** 1/4

• 2 weeks later...

1998 is really the beginning of way more promotions on the landscape, especially in Japan. I guess others were around before, but this is when you really start hearing about recommended things from all of them. So the best way for me to tackle this is fed-by-fed.

I'll start with Big Japan. I listed everything that looks intriguing on paper. Is there anything anyone has seen that I can easily kick off of this list? Anything that I don't have listed that definitely needs to go on? I've bolded the only match that I can call a lock at this point.

01/02/98 - Gedo & Jado vs Yoshihiro Taijiri & Ryuji Yamakawa

02/03/98 - Yoshihiro Taijiri vs Gran Naniwa

02/03/98 - Yoshihiro Taijiri vs Minoru Tanaka

02/03/98 - Yoshihiro Taijiri vs Gedo

02/28/98 - Minoru Fujita vs Ikuto Hidaka

03/04/98 - Yoshihiro Taijiri & Ryuji Yamakawa vs Shadow Winger & Shadow WX

05/01/98 - Katsumi Usuda vs Minoru Fujita

09/23/98 - Katsumi Usuda vs Tomoaki Honma

11/06/98 - Minoru Fujita & Ikuto Hidaka vs Katsumi Usuda & Tomoaki Honma

These i'd say are absolutely must haves

5/1/98 (Super Hardcore Match) Shoji Nakamaki, Masked G.K, Mitsuhiro Matsunaga & Jason The Terrible vs The Great Pogo, Shadow WX, Shadow Winger & Shadow VI - One of the most famous BJW death matches ever, 2 rings, every weapon you can imagine, pure chaotic awesomeness at it's very very best.

7/26/98 Shadow WX vs Tomoaki Honma - Just a great great match and one of the first new generation style death matches

Thanks! How about this for FMW?

01/06/98 - Masato Tanaka vs Mr. Gannosuke

03/13/98 - Hayabusa vs Masato Tanaka

03/17/98 - Hayabusa vs The Gladiator

04/21/98 - Jinsei Shinzaki vs Mr. Gannosuke

04/30/98 - Jinsei Shinzaki vs W*ING Kanemura

04/30/98 - Hayabusa vs Mr. Gannosuke

04/30/98 - Atsushi Onita vs Kodo Fuyuki

05/19/98 - Hayabusa vs Masato Tanaka

05/27/98 - Hayabusa & Masato Tanaka vs W*ING Kanemura & Kodo Fuyuki

06/19/98 - Masato Tanaka vs Tetsuhiro Kuroda

10/06/98 - W*ING Kanemura vs Tetsuhiro Kuroda

11/20/98 - Hayabusa vs Kodo Fuyuki

11/20/98 - Mr. Gannosuke vs Tetsuhiro Kuroda

12/13/98 - Hisakatsu Oya vs Tetsuhiro Kuroda

12/13/98 - Hayabusa vs Hisakatsu Oya

Heh, surprisingly that's almost exactly what my list would be as far as the most important stuff goes.

I'd add these 3 as 150% must haves

1/16/1998 (6 Man Street Fight Tag Titles) Hayabusa, Masato Tanaka & Hisakatsu Oya © vs Yukihiro Kanemura, Mr. Gannosuke & Jado

6/19/1998 Hayabusa, Daisuke Ikeda, Hisakatsu Oya & Ricky Fuji vs Kodo Fuyuki, Koji Nakagawa, Yukihiro Kanemura & Gedo

7/10/1998 (Elimination Match) Hayabusa, Daisuke Ikeda, Hisakatsu Oya & Ricky Fuji vs Kodo Fuyuki, Koji Nakagawa, Jado & Gedo

I'd cut these 2

04/30/98 - Atsushi Onita vs Kodo Fuyuki

I actually like both a lot but you guys always seem pressed for space and when it comes down to cutting something i'd have 0 problem with these not being on if it meant the other stuff would make it.

IF by some miracle you do end up having room for all the above and can fit a little more i'd also highly recomend these 2

7/10/1998 Mike Awesome vs Yukihiro Kanemura

12/13/1998 Mr. Gannosuke vs Yukihiro Kanemura

Actually i'd recomend those 2 over Onita/Fuyuki & Gannosuke/Kuroda if it came down to it.

Thanks! Just to keep this going, how about Toryumon? Any other specific matches with Ultimo Dragon trainees stand out? I know they were in MPro some, which I'll go through eventually, but for Toryumon proper, anything for '98 besides this?

08/29/98 - Magnum Tokyo, Saito & Dragon Kid vs Sumo Fuji, Judo Suwa & Shiima Nobunaga

Cut:

02/03/98 - Yoshihiro Taijiri vs Gran Naniwa

02/28/98 - Minoru Fujita vs Ikuto Hidaka

11/20/98 - Hayabusa vs Kodo Fuyuki

I'm sure FLIK disagrees on Hayabusa/Fuyuki.

Clip:

12/13/98 - Hisakatsu Oya vs Tetsuhiro Kuroda

Fun finishing run but not much of a body.

Also, is Oya in BattlARTS as awesome as I'd expect it to be?

I'd call this easily the best year of Oya's career and i'm not sure i'd have anything of his from Battlarts in a top 10 list of his matches in 98 list but I enjoyed all 3 of them.

Only 5 out of 8 mins aired from Oya vs Greg Valentine, it was fun in a Valentine style slugfest sorta way. Oya vs Ishikawa is a pretty good match but they never kicked it into high gear like you know they can. Oya vs Ikeda in FMW from a couple years earlier was better. Oya/Otsuka vs Backlund/Ishikawa I talked about earlier in the thread and is the best of the bunch.

How's this for a lucha list?

01/09/98 - Mr. Aguila, Shiryu & Venum Black vs Colt, Jurassico & Super Crazy (Promo Azteca)

01/30/98 - Mr. Aguila, Pantera, Salsero & Venum Black vs Juventud Guerrera, Mosco De La Merced, Pantera Del Ring & Super Crazy (Promo Azteca)

02/06/98 - Mr. Niebla & Shocker vs Dr. Wagner Jr. & Emilio Charles Jr. (CMLL)

02/15/98 - El Hijo del Santo, Super Porky & Atlantico vs Misterioso, Poison & Impacto (WPW)

02/20/98 - Elektra, Super Calo, Super Muneco & Venum Black vs El Texano, Mosco De La Merced, Pantera Del Ring & Super Crazy (Promo Azteca)

03/01/98 - Coco Amarillo, Coco Azul, Coco Negro & Coco Rojo vs Histeria, Maniaco, Mosco De La Merced & Psicosis (AAA)

03/08/98 - El Hijo del Santo vs Felino (Monterrey)

03/10/98 - Shocker vs Black Warrior (CMLL)

03/13/98 - El Hijo del Santo & La Parka vs Psicosis & Villano V (Tijuana)

03/21/98 - Violencia, Rey Bucanero Jr & Black Warrior vs Kendo, Tsubasa & Shiryu (IWRG)

03/31/98 - Akuma, Angel Azteca, Brandon, Chicago Express, Mascara Magica, Rey Bucanero & Ultimo Guerrero vs Fantasma, Guerrero De La Muerte, Olimpico, Ringo Mendoza, Sendero, Valentin Mayo & Zumbido (CMLL)

04/24/98 - Atlantis, Mr. Niebla & Negro Casas vs El Hijo del Santo, Black Warrior & Blue Panther (CMLL)

05/01/98 - Apolo Chino, Kid Guzman, Olimpico, Oriental, Sagrada, Valentin Mayo & Zumbido vs Arkangel, Brandon, Damiancito El Guerrero, Guerrero De La Muerte, Pepe Aguayo, Rencor Latino & Ultraman Jr. (CMLL)

05/01/98 - Atlantis, Emilio Charles Jr & Ultimo Dragon vs Blue Panther, Dr. Wagner Jr. & El Hijo del Santo (CMLL)

05/22/98 - Dragon Kid, Magnum Tokyo & Saito vs Sumo Fuji, Judo Suwa & Shiima Nobunaga (IWRG)

06/05/98 - Octagoncito vs Mini Abismo Negro (AAA)

06/12/98 - El Hijo del Santo, Felino & Mascara Sagrada vs Blue Panther, Dr. Wagner Jr. & Psicosis (Mora)

06/13/98 - El Hijo del Santo, Felino & Super Astro vs Blue Panther, Dr. Wagner Jr. & Principe Joel (WPW)

06/19/98 - Violencia, Karloff Lagarde Jr. & El Hijo del Santo vs Tony Rivera, Shocker & Felino (CMLL)

07/03/98 - Mr. Aguila, Olimpico & Pantera vs Rey Bucanero, Ultimo Guerrero & Zumbido (CMLL)

08/24/98 - El Hijo del Santo, Atlantis, Lizmark Jr, Mr. Niebla & Ultraman Jr. vs Satanico, Pirata Morgan, Black Warrior, Rey Bucanero & Arkangel De La Muerte (CMLL Japan)

08/28/98 - El Hijo del Santo & Blue Panther vs Dr. Wagner Jr. & Misterioso (WPW)

11/03/98 - Astro Rey Jr., Oriental, Tajiri & Tony Rivera vs Karloff Lagarde Jr., Ultimo Guerrero, Violencia & Zumbido (CMLL)

11/15/98 - Charly Manson, May Flowers, Nygma, Picudo & Sangre Chicana vs Cibernetico, Histeria, Maniaco, Mosco De La Merced & Psicosis (AAA)

12/11/98 - Silver King, Villano III & Villano IV vs El Hijo del Santo, Negro Casas & Felino (CMLL)

12/18/98 - El Hijo del Santo, Felino & Negro Casas vs Silver King, Villano IV & V (AAA)

It was long and drawn out, but the actual turn happened around these events:

El Hijo Del Santo, Scorpio Jr. y Villano III vs. Negro Casas, Pantera y La Fiera (CMLL 7/17/98)

El Hijo Del Santo vs. Scorpio Jr. (CMLL 7/31/98)

El Hijo Del Santo, Fuerza Guerrera y Villano III vs. Negro Casas, Atlantis y La Fiera (CMLL 9/11/98)

El Hijo Del Santo, Negro Casas, Atlantis y La Fiera vs. Fuerza Guerrera, Villano III, Bestia Salvaje y Scorpio Jr. (CMLL 9/18/98)

There were some brawling trios later in the year that further set up the Santo/Casas vs. Bestia/Scorpio matches that will feature on the '99 yearbook.

These were neat matches:

Olimpico vs. Halcon Negro, 10/23/98

Olimpico vs. Halcon Negro, mask vs. mask, 10/30/98