Pro Wrestling Only

AWA Thread

I gotta be honest. I've never sent on a ballot on any of the projects. I'm so appreciative of the work that goes into these sets that are so much fucking fun that I can't "ruin it" by dissecting and judging. I realize the point is to come up with a list, but by this point in it...it's taken on the role of "Holy Fuck, check out these dvd's!" and "Holy Fuck! I never knew (insert promotion here) was so great!/ "I haven't seen this stuff since I was 16...THIS IS AWESOME!"

Turn in a fucking ballot

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I gotta be honest. I've never sent on a ballot on any of the projects. I'm so appreciative of the work that goes into these sets that are so much fucking fun that I can't "ruin it" by dissecting and judging. I realize the point is to come up with a list, but by this point in it...it's taken on the role of "Holy Fuck, check out these dvd's!" and "Holy Fuck! I never knew (insert promotion here) was so great!/ "I haven't seen this stuff since I was 16...THIS IS AWESOME!"

Turn in a fucking ballot

Did I mention that I'm also lazy?

And, I think I will this time after reading how you keep rankings. Whenever I tried to before by disc I'd end up all jumbled up. I like the method you use.

In my effort to put a ballot together, I went back and rewatched disc 1. Stuff grew on me for the most part on second viewing. Anyways, match I thought would easily end up in my top 10 overall dropped a few spots on this disc alone because I found myself liking other stuff a lot more. Will be interesting to see how I view the remaining discs but I think disc 1 has the advantage of having finishes to all the matches (screwjob in Hogan/Bock withstanding) while we start to see more count out/disqualifications in future matches.

Holy Crap.

Tony Atlas is the world's worst possible Jerry Blackwell replacement when Blackwell was out after the turn.

I always looked at him more like a Greg Gagne replacement since he teamed with Brunzell so much.

Does that help? :P

Well, he was feuding with Adnan, but then I guess they did the Brody attack on Gagne/Brunzell, too.

And no, it doesn't help, because otherwise we would have gotten the boss Blackwell/Brunzell team.

EDIT: What was the payoff for Larry the Ax getting pissed off at Race re: Curt? I know Larry and Harley were a big tag team but did they feud in the 70s?

EDIT: What was the payoff for Larry the Ax getting pissed off at Race re: Curt? I know Larry and Harley were a big tag team but did they feud in the 70s?

Larry did a tv interview on AWA TV after Harley beat up Curt when Curt tried to save a jobber from Race. Larry explained it as Harley asking Larry to come to Japan with him and team (that re-teaming in Japan actually happened a few years previous IIRC), reforming their team. Larry said that Race walked out on a tag match with him there and as such declared war on the Hennig family.

...and there was no payoff as Harley didn't stick around long enough for any sort of protracted feud between he and the Hennigs. Curt and Harley had the one St. Paul match that made tape JIP but that's it.

Harley left around the time Heenan went to the WWF. No idea if there was a real connection or if they just didn't know how to move forward without Heenan as part of Race's team (Harley-Heenan vs. Hennigs, maybe?)

....FWIW, most old-old time AWA fans that saw Larry and Harley in the AWA as a team agree that they have mostly been forgotten by history as a "great" tag team. They were before my time so I never saw them.

This card boggles my mind. I went to school in Waltham. What a weird place to run a rare New England card in 86, and then you run THAT card.

9/24/86 Waltham, MA

Boris Zhukov beat Marc Fabian

Scott Hall beat Black Panther

Colonel DeBeers beat David Foxx

Buddy Rose & Doug Somers beat Man Mountain Dean & The Machine

Sherri Martel beat Despina Montagus

Brian Walsh beat Eric Sparaccia

Boston Bad Boys beat Bill Rossi & Foxx

att: 650

Also, one of my favorite parts of 91-92 WWF is John Nord. He has a really credible, huge offense and bumps amazingly for a guy of his size. Plus he's so much smarter a wrestler than the prototype in Brody when it comes to knowing when to give and how to react and what not. I don't know WHEN he got good though. He's not on the set once though. Was he just no good at this point of his career or what?

Not to double post AGAIN, but I was looking through the December 9 85 WON and Dave said that a match between Gordy/Hayes and the Roadies from "four or five weeks ago on ESPN" was excellent and he wanted a copy. Any idea what match that is? Is it crap? Then he went on to say:

"Also, after the last set of tapes from Japan, I've become a big fan of the road Warriors. I give them credit. They used to stink, then they improved and were average, then good, and now they're damn good. There(sic) matches in Japan even though short, were all action filled and with Choshu & Yastu and Tsuruta & Tenryu and even Tsuruta & Ishikawa, they had great ones. Their Chicago match with the Freebirds was almost as good as these bouts, although the bout they lost to Regal & Farvin wasn't too hot."

YES

The very, very best thing about the AWA Crowds is when they get all excited for Saito's Sumo pre-match ritual, and guess what? They do it for Kendo Nagasaki too.

In general, I hate these cheating, bullying face-loving jerks, but they almost redeem themselves solely with this.

Also, I love Billy Robinson as Kamala's mouthpiece. Just saying. "Koo-Mala."

This card boggles my mind. I went to school in Waltham. What a weird place to run a rare New England card in 86, and then you run THAT card.

9/24/86 Waltham, MA

Boris Zhukov beat Marc Fabian

Awesome.

Boston Bad Boys beat Bill Rossi & Foxx

Anyone know who the non-Tony Rumble "Boston Bad Boy" would be?

Verne didn't oppose him or run his towns at all and I think Bruiser may have come in here or there for appearances in the very early 80's though I may be wrong.

I myself think if Verne had taken his territory and then carved out the dead Detroit office he may have been able to survive longer.

But then it is Verne so probably not

Verne didn't oppose him or run his towns at all and I think Bruiser may have come in here or there for appearances in the very early 80's though I may be wrong.

I myself think if Verne had taken his territory and then carved out the dead Detroit office he may have been able to survive longer.

But then it is Verne so probably not

Bruiser appeared on AWA cards in Chicago right through Super Clash I in 1985 (not all of them, but a lot of them), as did other WWA guys, usually in the lower half of the card. Bruiser put over Jerry Blackwell in the middle of 1980 and that was seen by the Chicago guys as a major indicator that Blackwell was going to be a big player in the AWA. That might have happened on the card where Verne regained the title from Bockwinkel in July of 1980, I can't remember for sure.

Bruiser and Vachon teamed up in St. Paul to challenge the Sheiks for the tag title in 1983, early in their reign. Only the last few minutes are available on video, though.