Pro Wrestling Only

Ric Flair (sigh)

My feelings on Flair are this. For over thirty years Flair lived life his way doing what he wanted when he wanted. By all rights he should be dead. He got to live his dream times a 1,000. Most people never get that, So who gives a shit if he is in debt. Anybody loaning him money should know what they are getting into. His kids, wives, friends got to ride that wave for a long fucking time. Hell the wives are still riding it with no risk of crashing.

There are a lot worse places to be at 65 than Ric Flair is.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I would imagine the kids of wrestlers like Jake Roberts, Lex Luger, Scott Hall and probably Flair would probably not say they were riding any kind of wave in their childhoods. It's one of those things that may seem sort of cool at first, but I always imagined the life of a kid whose dad is a wrestler is filled with far more downside than upside. There are exceptions of course, but we know about a lot of kids who have been subject to some crummy things.

Someone should ask Ric if he remembers grinding his feet on Eddie Murphy's couch.

I would imagine the kids of wrestlers like Jake Roberts, Lex Luger, Scott Hall and probably Flair would probably not say they were riding any kind of wave in their childhoods. It's one of those things that may seem sort of cool at first, but I always imagined the life of a kid whose dad is a wrestler is filled with far more downside than upside. There are exceptions of course, but we know about a lot of kids who have been subject to some crummy things.

Jake Roberts is actually an interesting case given his own relationship with his father. Grizzly Smith was an absentee alcoholic who never smartened up his kids and made them think his in-ring injuries were real. And his taste in girls made Jerry Lawler look like the MILF Hunter.

Lots of kids get drunks for dads and they don't get the upside of him being rich and famous.

Guest Slickster

They're called background checks for a reason.

Again, whose fault is it? I mean, I understand what you're getting at, but I don't think you quite understand. Flair, as you say, = money in the Carolina's.

My point was that these politicians, state governments, and sports teams that throw money at him are associating themselves with someone who has an unsavory record a mile long. I doubt any NC state employee or state politician could have this kind of record of financial mismanagement and keep their job.

I honestly think that these Carolinas organizations that affiliate with him don't do their research.

He didn't kill anyone, spend any significant time in jail, or go through a messy public divorce that made the cover of gossip magazines.

His record flies under the radar.

I wasn't saying these Carolinas organizations have been duped by Ric Flair.

I was just questioning their choice of Ric Flair as a pitchman for their products.

Lots of kids get drunks for dads and they don't get the upside of him being rich and famous.

I was responding to your point that Flair's kids have benefitted.

Madden, you're an idiot, always have been

There's the way I defended Flair and then there is that way to defend Flair.

Wow.

Yeesh. That was just sad. At points in the article, he's literally reduced to saying "he's RIC FLAIR, he can do whatever he wants!" I hardly needed another reason to hate Mark Madden, but there ya go.

Madden, you're an idiot, always have been

There's the way I defended Flair and then there is that way to defend Flair.

Wow.

Yeesh. That was just sad. At points in the article, he's literally reduced to saying "he's RIC FLAIR, he can do whatever he wants!" I hardly needed another reason to hate Mark Madden, but there ya go.

Yep. Madden was just unbearable on WCW TV, glad to see he kept himself at that level.

"Doesn’t matter. At the end of the day, he’s still RIC FLAIR. If you don’t understand the magnitude of that, you’re not qualified to judge, anyway."

When I see or hear about Flair in 2011, the word MAGNITUDE isn't the first one which comes to my mind.

Probably. The best thing about Cody is that he doesn't have to live in his father's shadow as much as Dustin did, and that hopefully he can learn from both their mistakes.

Back to Flair, whatever he's gone through doesn't compare to some other people but it's still a shame to see he can't separate himself from the persona that made him and his family rather well-off.

I know he LIVED the fucking lifestyle. Along with turning all sorts of colours cutting promos but has his heart condition - alcoholic cardiomyopathy ever been reported on before?

I am interested with the source of that. Almost all of the rest of the items look like they're from court papers. There's some ugly stuff that's come out in them, no doubt some of it he-said-she-said... though not to the degree that Flair Defenders make out. But the alcoholic cardiomyopathy... where is that from? I don't think Ric would ever use it in one of his own filings, or cop to it in a depo unless really pushed with clear evidence. I would guess that it might be in the last divorce and that she dropped it into the record.

His twitter is: @TobaccoRdBlues

Can someone on twitter ask him the source of that specific item?

John

he says it himself in his book.

Oh man, the worst part of that Madden rant:

I’m amazed at the IWC’s self-righteousness over the Grantland.com article. You’ll defend Matt and Jeff Hardy, a couple of big-time sleaze merchants who embarrass themselves and their profession. But if Ric Flair is past due on a few bills, you morph into the Moral Majority.

ugh

Oh man, the worst part of that Madden rant:

I’m amazed at the IWC’s self-righteousness over the Grantland.com article. You’ll defend Matt and Jeff Hardy, a couple of big-time sleaze merchants who embarrass themselves and their profession. But if Ric Flair is past due on a few bills, you morph into the Moral Majority.

ugh

Anyone ever recall anybody ever defending the Hardyz?

• 3 weeks later...

Jason Powell:

Dot Net TNA News: Details on the Ric Flair vs. Sting match quality, Flair health concerns

Sep 14, 2011 - 12:12 PM

The backstage reviews for the Ric Flair vs. Sting match that was taped for Thursday's Impact Wrestling television show have not been positive. One observer stated that it was so bad that it has no business airing on television. Flair apparently suffered a left arm injury during the match, but the severity of the injury has not been disclosed.

Powell's POV: There were said to be numerous blown spots during the match. Flair is rusty from not working recently, but there is talk that Sting deserves a lot of the blame, as it appeared he forgot some of the planned spots. Our first correspondent who attended the taping enjoyed the match, so we'll see how it plays out on television this week. It sounds like they have some editing work to do based on the backstage reviews.

Update: Dot Net Members are reading a report from a second correspondent who expressed concern that Flair was having heart issues - a concern that was shared by some people backstage.

Meltzer on his message board insists there was no heart issue.

At the tapings or ever?

He's a 62 year-old alcoholic with a history of admitted steroid/ostensible HGH abuse who routinely turns unhealthy shades of red. If he doesn't have a heart issue then he's a walking miracle.