Pro Wrestling Only

Ric Flair (sigh)

5 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

I don’t know if this is urban legend, but wasn’t Buddy Rogers scheduled to wrestle again shortly before he died? I remember reading somewhere that he was supposed to have a match against Buddy Landell on some indie show.

EDIT: Yeah, I googled it and apparently in 1992 at 71 years old, Buddy Rogers was scheduled to face off with Buddy Landell in a “Battle of the Nature Boys” but the promoter went out of business, and Buddy Rogers died a couple of months later before it could be rescheduled.

So apparently, the moral of the story is, if your nickname is Nature Boy you are destined to be cursed with an overwhelming desire to wrestle once you pass the age of 70, I guess.

I heard Buddy wanted to do this to steal Lou Thesz’s thunder after the match with Chono.

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 hours ago, El-P said:

What a carny. JCP did not "go away", it was bought and turned into WCW. The idea that people really need to "say goodbye" to Jim Crockett Promotion in 2022 is so laughable and transparent. Anyhoo. They're gonna do a roast of Ric Flair too. Should bring Tommy Dreamer in, so he can say "Hey, I almost lost my job for making light of you being a sex abuser.".

Comedy roasts (when done correctly) can be absolutely brutal. I would imagine that this is going to end up being more gentle joking than actual comedy roasting. Lord knows Ric Flair has given his critics a ton of ammunition over the years, but there is no way in the day and age that we live in right now that anybody will be able to truly “roast” him with material that would ever be allowed to air.

Not to mention, if you are going to allow yourself to be roasted, you have to be an extremely good sport and have VERY thick skin. Flair has been known to be sensitive to criticism (remember how he reacted to what JR and Shawn Michaels said about him in the 30 for 30 Documentary?) so if anybody actually said some of the things they COULD say…I can see this going very wrong. Kind of like that Iron Sheik roast that Kayfabe Commentaries tried to have a few years ago, when Scott Hall tried to attack one of the comedians for making an Owen Hart joke.

9 hours ago, The Thread Killer said:

I can see this going very wrong. Kind of like that Iron Sheik roast that Kayfabe Commentaries tried to have a few years ago, when Scott Hall tried to attack one of the comedians for making an Owen Hart joke.

Those Kayfabe Commentary Comedy Roasts were such a mistake. None of the actual comedians were funny, the Hall incident... Such a mess. Yeah, I can see this turning out bad, or somebody making an offhand remark that will really offend some people, or Flair just making a fool out of himself (that never happens, right ?).

The Dragon is smart for not taking place in this match too. 

16 hours ago, Matt D said:

Ancient Lawler matches have him sell in the corner and throw punches and pull on heartstrings but not actually bump. 

Flair will insist on getting tossed off the top.

Was more talking about his health problems and age. Guy had a heart attack and almost died in the ring. 

5 minutes ago, Flyin' Brian said:

Was more talking about his health problems and age. Guy had a heart attack and almost died in the ring. 

Sure but there are still differences. If I had to insure one opposed to the other based on what they're going to do in the ring, I'd pick Lawler.

I wouldn't insure either of them out of the ring.

1 minute ago, Matt D said:

Sure but there are still differences. If I had to insure one opposed to the other based on what they're going to do in the ring, I'd pick Lawler.

I wouldn't insure either of them out of the ring.

I wouldn’t insure either. But in this day and age a wrestler dying in the ring would be met with a shrug and back to business probably anyway. 

Lawler is smart enough to work his matches in typical Old Timer style where he takes minimal to no bumps, and I would be far less concerned with him in the ring compared with anyone else in his age range. Plus while he did almost die in the ring, it was more of a shit happens thing (possibly genetic since his father died young from heart issues) rather than the result of decades abusing his body, 

Ric's probably done more damage to his body outside the ring than he did in 40 years of wrestling and a plane crash. If Mark Madden is to be believed (I know, I know), Ric's back to getting drunk on a regular basis, which makes this even more of a bad idea.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 6/14/2022 at 10:34 AM, El-P said:

Mike Tyson added to Flair's Roast cast. They really should get Lawler at this rate, ya know...

I saw today that Tyson has apparently already pulled out of the event. His rep said is was due to “unforeseen circumstances” but didn’t elaborate any further.

• 4 weeks later...

Big time Randy the Ram energy from that pic. The guy wants to try and die in the ring it seems. Plus doesn't he have a broken foot already ?

If it ends up being against Jay Lethal it's so ironic for several reasons (two of them fun, one not so much). 

But anyway, escalation of commitment right there. The undercard actually is pretty cool, but really now, this isn't a good idea at all. 

So, the irony is in FULL SPEED with the teaming along Jay Lethal.

The whole "I carried the Horsemen" bit on Conrad's podcast actually has a resolution inside the ring now. Damn Jarrett indeed. Plus, basically AEW/WWE interpromotional match. This is pretty wicked. A tag match means he can be protected, so I guess there's this.

Ol' Double J lookin' GOODT. I watched one of the doc episodes and actually it was very well made and has me interested in more than a "this is going to be such a disaster" kind of way. A whole section on Ric might actually die in the ring and it'd be worth it really seems to be tempting fate.  Can't believe the Jeff isn't a real Horseman bit on the podcast was long term booking all along.