Pro Wrestling Only

Ric Flair (sigh)

• Replies 986
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

When I was young my dad used to take me to see shit like that. Initially I liked the slurring, fat Dusty Rhodes struttin’ around the ring shit. And my dad was like, “Why the fuck you like him?” My dad talked to me real when I was a kid. He’d be like, “You see him (Ric Flair), you need to like him. There’s a difference between that man and that man.”

Wise man his dad

whose new album includes a song with a long Flair promo as the intro.

Pft, been thear, done WAY better :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1AWawAFDHw

• 6 months later...

TNA calling time on Flair?

PWInsider in super detail:

A number of readers have asked why Ric Flair has disappeared from television and missed several TNA house shows since appearing in a Gutcheck segment on Impact Wrestling, judging Alex Silva.

Sources close to Flair and TNA have confirmed that the two sides are at a major impasse as there is a ton of heat on Flair for conduct outside the ring. It was described to me by one TNA source as, "being at the point it's not worth keeping Flair around."

There have been a number of incidents involving Flair at local establishments and bars in Orlando since coming to the company. At one point, sources indicate Flair was banned from drinking at the Hard Rock Cafe in Citiwalk due to an incident with him "acting inappropriate", according to one source, leading to venue management banishing him.

There are also stories aplenty within the company of Flair not being able to cover bar tabs and company management getting a call from the hotel and/or bar seeking payment. Most recently something similar went down at the hotel TNA utilizes for their wrestlers and staff, which the company has had a great relationship with for years, that was the final tipping point. At that point, Flair was pulled from several Louisiana house shows and the final TV Tapings before Impact Wrestling goes live on 5/31.

A similar issue led to Flair's meltdown last year on the European tour, where TNA's Craig Jenkins, after several days of fronting Flair money to cover a bar tab, refused to do so again. This led to Flair screaming at Jenkins in front of the entire crew and refusing to get on the TNA tour bus to head to the next date. Flair was left behind, missed a show and then returned to the tour the next day, apologizing to the locker room when he arrived. Publicly, Flair blamed the matter on the company not giving him "advances" like he would get when touring for WWE, citing that he was "used" to that treatment. Those comments upset people within the company because of the perception that the company "wasn't taking care of talents."

There have been a number of forces within TNA that have been against having him as a regular since he came into the company, noting that while he carries a high price tag, he hasn't translated into drawing money or ratings for the company - and now, his work in the ring isn't "Ric Flair level" anymore, but "Ric Flair level behavior" remains.

There are also some in the company that feel that Flair and WWE put them in a "no win situation" when Flair was announced for the WWE Hall of Fame, noting that the company had no choice but to allow him to go in, or else they would look like they were denying Flair and the fans. To be fair, Flair didn't know in advance he was getting inducted but he publicly told fans he would be there "on stage" before a deal was signed that would allow him to appear at Wrestlemania and the Hall of Fame.

Spike TV sources also note that there have also been a number of requests from the network end to keep Flair dressed and not have him "near nude" (i.e., in his wrestling gear) and bleeding at his age on TV.

Flair debuted for TNA on 1/4/10, the first episode of the Hulk Hogan/Eric Bischoff regime. He was made the mentor to AJ Styles and manager of Fortune with the idea of creating a modern day Four Horsemen style group. That led to Flair being part of Immortal and until the Gutcheck Judging role, he had most recently been managing Gunner and running with Eric Bischoff in their feud designed to get Garett Bischoff over.

Since departing WWE, there have been a number of issues with Flair. He signed for a number of appearances with Ring of Honor, then pulled out of them, citing his relationship with WWE (although it was more likely that he realized they weren't going to use Reid Flair following a drug arrest). When Flair didn't pay back an advance given to him, ROH filed a lawsuit against him. Flair also landed in court over money lent to him by Highspots.com and at one point, there was an order of arrest out for him if Flair did not pay the agreed settlement by a certain date. That order was issued because Flair had missed several agreed dates for payment of the settlement. The money was eventually paid and the NWA World title belt, which Highspots.com was holding as collateral, was seen displayed at WWE AXXESS this year, potentially pointing to WWE as having paid the debt and acquiring the title for their own archive.

There was word making rounds over the weekend that Flair was done with TNA, but we have not been able to confirm that.

When contacted today, TNA declined comment on the Flair matter, citing that he was still officially on their roster.

Seems like they have really stuck the knife in reputation and value wise.

WWE paying off the debt (actually, it's two debts due to the plumbing and heating valve company's claim) makes a lot of sense. It came out of nowhere when it looked like he'd really have to go to jail.

As for the rest...wow.

I wonder how much Ric Flair has actually cost TNA? His downside alone is probably in the mid six-figure range, they'll no doubt have paid for his travel and accomodation and then you have the stories about people comping him drinks and paying his bar tabs!

Flair should have stayed with WWE, sure he wouldn't have been able to wrestle but that's not really the issue. The real issue is that Flair loves the spotlight, he loves performing and WWE took him off TV. His deal with WWE was pretty sweet, he could have easily waited it out for a year and then negotiated a return to TV as a manager/mouthpiece in which he'd once again be in the spotlight, without having to break his retirement vow.

I could see a return to WWE, because Flair desperately needs the financial stability that the company can provide, furthermore it seems like WWE feels some level of responsibility for Ric Flair, given that they apparently bailed him out of his debt to High Spots and allowed him to attend (and even be part of one) two HOF events despite being under contract to another company.

WWE paying off the debt (actually, it's two debts due to the plumbing and heating valve company's claim) makes a lot of sense. It came out of nowhere when it looked like he'd really have to go to jail.

I'm trying to remember the details on that one. Was it in the Grantland piece? Or later? I thought the recent slammer possibility was due to the Highspots lawsuit.

Lordy... with Ric, I can't keep track of all the messes.

John

PWInsider

TNA filed a lawsuit yesterday in court in Nashville against WWE and former TNA and WWE office worker Brian Wittenstein for interference with existing contracts, conversion, breach of contract, civil conspiracy, unfair competition, and violation of the Tennessee Uniform Trade Secrets Act. They are also suing Wittenstein for breach of duty of loyalty.

TNA's lawsuit alleges that that Wittenstein, who worked for TNA for three years before departing in 2011, provided World Wrestling Entertainment with inside information on contracts and other matters from his time working in the live events department and now WWE is attempting to poach talent from the company with that information.

Wittenstein was hired by WWE earlier this year and worked briefly under Michael Hayes as his assistant before being let go by WWE. According to the suit, WWE fired Wittenstein after he presented them with inside TNA information. However, WWE did not inform TNA that they had been provided that information for nearly three weeks.

TNA claims they were informed on 5/7. Several days later, Ric Flair (who the company has been having issues with, as we've reported here) approached TNA trying to get out of his contract. In the lawsuit, TNA alleged that Flair was trying to get out of his contract in order to go to WWE and since telling TNA he wanted out of his deal, has not appeared as booked at live events, including the Sacrifice PPV.

In the last week, there have also been rumors that Alex Shelley had turned down a new TNA contract and was looking to go to WWE as well. While those stories have been making the rounds, PWInsider.com has not been able to independently confirm them. Shelley was not mentioned in the legal filing.

An injunction was issued earlier today demanding that WWE and Wittenstein each return whatever confidential material Wittenstein retained from his time working for TNA. They were specifically instructed not to "destroy" any of the material.

We'll have more information as we confirm it.

WWE bitch boys no more. Echos of the Jay Hassman situation.

They fired him instantly, but since they didn't notify TNA for weeks I'd think that opens up the argument they could have been using that time to capitalize on what they were told.

Not to say that they definitely did, but it at least creates the appearance that shenanigans could have happened. Also consider based on how the last few weeks of TNA have been laid out, it looks like Alex Shelley would have given TNA his notice not too long after Sabin returned to form the MCMGs again. Could TNA make the case they knew his deal was ending and gave him an offer he couldn't refuse? Perhaps.

I stated on another board, this probably fucks over anyone in TNA hoping to jump ship for the near future.

• 2 weeks later...

So what's the latest on this?

Bruce as usual came to the defenses of Flair, including saying the MKJ was fed the TNA side by TNA and even MKJ now thinks he was played. Since I don't read/listen to PWSpyware, what's the dope from Mikey?

John

• 3 weeks later...

Just been catching up on the recent Flair saga and in a way I'm sort of happy for him IF:

1. He does the sensible thing, signs a nice cushy little package at WWE, say an enhanced Legends contract with an on-air role as Ziggler's manager or whatever.

2. He never wrestles again.

3. Starts saving a little bit of money now. The WWE seem to be there for him if he needs them, because he's the legend of all legends. They are happy to pay what is for them peanuts to preserve that legacy. Come on Ric, just grow up a LITTLE bit for all of us and do the right thing.

NB. I think the court case is meaningless. TNA will lose that. Also, after seeing what Scott Steiner was on (shockingly low pay), I'm wondering what they were paying Flair.

I hope these two get the marriage counselling that they clearly need. Any further embarrassing incidents like this, could stop WWE from rehiring Flair when legally able to do so and also jeopardise his lucrative endorsement deals with local lotteries and Coca-Cola.

They need to get a divorce, then get counseling.

John

Financially speaking Ric doesn't need another divorce. I'd agree that this is an obviously unhealthy relationship and a break up would probably be for the best, but I don't think Flair would choose any better fifth time around.