Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Charles (Loss)

[1995-03-04-AJPW-Excite Series] Stan Hansen vs Toshiaki Kawada

Last few minutes. Hansen wins the Triple Crown after a lariat. I'm imagining sentiment at the time was pretty negative about this after Kawada's only defense was a draw and he quickly lost the title back to Hansen, then jobbed to Misawa later in the year again.

I don't recall having a huge problem with the concept of Kawada losing to Stan at the time, since the belts were always going back to Misawa. It held off Kawada jobbing to Misawa.

I would have preferred that Kawada pin Kobashi, and it could have been done 55+ minutes into the match if Baba wanted to give the fans something special after the Quake.

I did have a problem with Kawada and Hansen working a long match. The promotion seemed locked in the punch that these needed to go long. Perhaps Kawada learned his lesson and went "sprint" in the 7/95 match with Misawa. This one would have been far better if they went 15 minutes of kicking the living shit out of each other throwing bombs. The tag title match, which actually went on *before* this one, went long enough to give the fans one epic on the night.

John

Okay-ish psychology-based action but slow. Evidently Kawada tore up Hansen's arm because Stan is selling like it's hanging by a thread, and does a full-blown Triple H laying for 30 seconds after hitting his finisher before covering for the 3. Not an auspicious reign for Kawada, winning the title in a disappointing match, not having a victorious title defense, and still firmly behind Misawa in the pecking order as best I can tell and closer to even with Kobashi than with Misawa.