Pro Wrestling Only
Sign in to follow this  
Charles (Loss)

[1995-08-05-ECW-Wrestlepalooza] Cactus Jack & Dean Malenko & 2 Cold Scorpio vs Rick & Scott Steiner & Eddy Guerrero

This is paced more like a Japanese match than an American match. It's not really a face/heel divide, and there is a build to Eddy getting a hot tag, but that's really secondary to the highspots. It's more about the pairings than the teamwork, and about getting a chance to see all the various wrestler vs wrestler combinations the match provides. Some of them are pairings I've never really seen outside of this match -- like Scott vs Malenko, which has some nice matwork -- or they haven't made much of a lasting impression outside of this match -- like Rick vs Cactus, which has some fun brawling. The series of Eddy highspots off of the Steiners' shoulders was great, although Dean botched the Frankensteiner by not taking the bump. That was a pretty nutty move to even try though. Dean getting the pin after taking all that from Eddy was frustrating, but this was really fun.

I believe that this match was put together at the last minute because Marty Janetty no-showed a title match against Sandman and the card was shuffled around.

Is this Scott's only ECW match? If so, what a match to have your only match in a company. This was a fun spotfest type match. Steiners were awesome. Especially the bulldog from the top. Cool to see Cactus in this.

I think the Steiners worked some of the Florida cards together.

I guess ECW wasn't paying for Mick's food bills, because he looks as skinny as he has since the Cactus Jack Manson days. He sure sticks out like a sore thumb here. Eddy and 2 Cold work a fantastic sequence together that has the crowd going nuts for Eddy by the end of it. The Steiners work well in this setting, since they're all about big crowd-pleasing bombs. Rick busts out an incredible bulldog *off* the top turnbuckle on Scorpio (both guys on top). Then we get Cactus vs. Eddy which is a fun little "This match-up actually happened" bit. Once again somebody attempts to hit a top-rope huracanrana off their partner's shoulders and once again it's blown--people need to just give up trying that. It sort of effectively plays into the finish though as Malenko quickly counters and steals a pin. More wrestling junk food, but this was all fun.

Best ECW match ever and maybe my favorite trios of all time. High impact action, awesome heel and face work, interesting pairs; this has a little of everything. Eddie's babyface work and Scorpio's heel charisma stand out in particular. The best non-All Japan match of 1995. ****1/2

Finally saw this and it was a wonderful and simple six-man tag. Big bumps that get bigger and bigger all leading to a hot tag from Eddy to get the three babyfaces destroying the heels. It was fun seeing the heels rag doll for the Steiners. Incredibly fun stuff.

****1/4

I like how earlier this was described as wrestling junk food. I'm a big fan.

Maybe the most well known "WAR 6-Man"-type match in a major US setting?

All 6 guys are on and the Dean-Scott, Rick-Cactus, Eddy-Cactus segments are really fun and cool to have on tape. Really good use of the Steiners putting them with guys like Eddy, Dean, and Scorpio. Rick especially was hanging right with everyone. Eddy's a good face-in-peril and the Steiners/Cactus add legitimacy to the smaller guys, especially because they  treat them like real threats and sell for everything.

I believe the original match had Benoit in place of Cactus, but Benoit had visa issues (maybe "visa issues"?). Also Luna Vachon no-showed for the Dreamer/Luna/Pitbulls vs. Raven/Richards/Dudleys match. So they had the Cactus heel turn pushed forward with him replacing Luna, turning on Dreamer and joining Raven, and then Raven providing Cactus as the replacement for Benoit all in one night.