Pro Wrestling Only

Ken Patera

Dylan Waco

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

His Olympic background got him on there more than pro wrestling plus it didn't hurt that his brother was the head coach of the Seattle Seahawks at the time and CBS milked that angle.

This is what I figured but I haven't seen any of that footage in close to a decade and have no memory of it. I will make a passing reference to it, but note his Olympic background and family ties as the more likely reason for his use on the show. Thanks Kris

I will say this though.....pro wrestling definitely helped later on as Putski, SBG, & Blackwell made it after Ken did.

Plus they used Patera's wrestling injuries to help him when he was weak so they did mention it quite a bit.

If Bruce Wilhelm wasn't so short he would've been a fantastic pro wrestling personality.

This is the 1977 Strongman contest that Patera was in. There are a bunch of parts to it. Not sure if watching it will help your context any further than what you already have from Kris (I haven't watched them myself but I did scroll in to see Patera is featured a few times).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7urTKKMsMD8

I'm still waiting for the results thread that was supposed to go up on S&W for Patera but nothing yet. :(

• 1 month later...

I just saw Patera vs Backlund from MSG 1/21/80. Holy shit, what a great fucking match. Patera tries to out-wrestle Bob at first but keeps getting stymied, he finally gets some control with his strength, and when he has Bob in the arm stretcher his trash talk is fucking great.

"I'M GONNA SEND HIM BACK TO MINNESOTA IN A BOX!"

Even the typical WWF wonky finish works.

• 5 months later...

I think what's notable about his early AWA run is that he came right out of camp and pretty quickly got pushed into the upper mid-card tier of talent. Compare that to how Flair or Slaughter or Buddy Rose or any number of Verne trainees got treated out of the gate. His Olympic background no doubt had a lot to do with it, but it's still pretty crazy that he never really "paid his dues" deep in the undercard the way those other guys did.

Only a few AWA camp rookies got pushed big right off the bat. Patera was an Olympian. He got pushed right away. Same for Chris Taylor. The third camp rookie to be pushed to the top right away might surprise you. Rock Rogowski later known as Ole Anderson. Even Greg Gagne toiled on the undercard for over a year. Greg was protected sure but he wasn't as a pushed main eventer.

Re: Greg Gagne

4/15/73 Duluth, MN @ Arena
AWA Tag Team Champions Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens beat Billy Robinson & Don Muraco 2/3
Horst Hoffman beat Lars Anderson dq
Geoff Portz beat Rene Goulet
Greg Gagne in his pro debut beat Kenny Jay

Start of big push began months later.

8/10/74 Minneapolis TV
Ivan Putski beat Bill Howard
Larry Hennig beat Julio Rodriguez
Greg Gagne & Jim Brunzell beat Nick Bockwinkel & Ray Stevens dq
Bull Bullinski beat Pancho Vasquez
Kenny Jay beat Angel Rivera

Heenan's first appearance as the manager of Bockwinkel & Stevens. Larry Hennig completes his face turn by rescuing Gagne & Brunzell.

• 3 months later...

This thread has been a great resource in uncovering how big Patera was in the late 70s and early 80s. Something I was totally unaware of before arriving on PWO. I have really liked what I have seen from Patera especially the classic Texas Death Match with Backlund.

Ken Patera vs Pat Patterson - MSG 8/25/84

These two has a much more famous match in 1980 with Patera becoming the IC title match, which I do need to see. This match is just to re-establish Patera as a top tier wrestler in the WWF to the MSG crowd as he would go to be Studd' buddy in his feud against Andre. Even though Patterson has been in semi-retirement for a few years at this point, he still has got it. His punches look as crisp as ever and he has plenty of energy. Patera is no slouch in his own right. He is great as the cocky strong man character. He comes off as totally engrossed with himself and that his shit don't stink. Patterson catches him unawares with a cross body. Patera sells frustration and a bit of embarrassment so well. Patera was able to take over on a rope break with some really good forearms. He somehow ends up tangled in the ropes and Patterson tees off. Weirdly, Patterson wrapped Patera's leg around the post, but this is totally ignored. Patera hits a nice backbreaker and even though this is his match so to speak he gives Patterson plenty to shine before hitting a hotshot and applying his vaunted full nelson. I love the hotshot as a desperation heel move especially when a babyface has built up a lot of steam. Very good outing from both men with Patera establishing himself as a top flight heel and Patterson as the lovable vet putting him over.