Pro Wrestling Only

What are you watching?

Tim Cooke

Actually, World Wide Wrestling will have some overlap with the Saturday Night show on TBS, but it was intended to be its own "territory" for the most part, with in-show continuity but not a lot of overarching. This tradition continued well into 1990s WCW for whatever strange reason. Bix asked Dave about this in a WON mailbag not too long ago, and he talked about how the idea was always to market each syndicated show as a serial. So that's why you'd get odd things like Ricky Morton or Bobby Eaton turning heel on multiple shows separately, or why feuds like Johnny B. Badd-Michael Hayes only existed on Worldwide.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They did a really great job of selling Valiant as being seriously injured after he got clotheslined with the ax handle. Paul Jones showing off his injured arm and how mad he was while talking was also good stuff.

I was disappointed in the Blanchard/Houston match on the 4/20 World Wide. I thought their match on the 4/3 WCW show was a lot better.

I've been watching a bit of 1986 NWA at the moment, and is there anyone more tedious that Paul Jones and his army? A right rag bag featuring Shaska Whatley, Teijho Khan, Baron Von Raschke and the Barbarian with Whatley carrying around a piece of Jimmy Valiant's hair that he cut when he turned on him for what seems like five months

Nah man, they were an awesome group of mid card wacky over the top heels. The perfect type of group to be feuding with The Boogie Woogie Man. And Pez and Barbarian were great, The Barons best in ring shit was long in the past but he was still a great character. Khan stunk, but had a great look.

Watched Saturday's WWC tv show. It's kinda sad how bad the roster of that group is now. The main event storyline is Ray Gonzalez vs Savio Vega/TNT. Started with TNT but then he went back into the Savio gimmick. Savio's a good brawler but not very good wrestling every week. Also the tag champs are Miguel Perez Jr. and Huracan Castillo of WWF fame. Miguel still rules doing his crazy bald man gimmick. They have had about 20 matches with the same tag team for about 2 months. I thought WWE had a lot of rematches but WWC has way more. Saturday's show featured matches that took place in a ring with a broken bottom rope. I guess it beats a couple months ago where the main feud was Carlos Colon vs Invader. I miss Andy Levine's blackface gimmick he was doing when he was Universal champ.

First episode of JCP on World Championship Wrestling tonight. This is a much better experience with the 3 months of context that World Wide Wrestling has provided for me. Was there a better tv worker in 1985 than Tully Blanchard? I'm on April 6th and his match with Sam Houston was probably the 4th or 5th good match I've seen him involved in so far this year.

Did the World Championship Wrestling show start on April 6, 1985? Was WWF or Georgia before that? Is that why, perhaps, WWE 24/7 started its run around April 85 too? Makes sense.

April 6th was the first Crockett show. It was WWF leading up to that. Georgia was in an early morning time slot leading up to this and Crockett took that over too.

Watched a Finlay/Regal match from WCWSN and it was a great little brawl. Shiryu/Delfin was underwhelming, but the two tags that followed were absolutely phenomenal. Otsuka and some skinny kid with a lot of fire vs. Ikeda/Ono and a MPro 10-man, both looked to be from the same dome show on 12-1-96. That Mpro 10-man was off the charts amazing. If you're going to do spotty juniors wrestling, THAT is how you fucking do it. No disrespect to Toryumon/DG, but I'll take 90's MPro Sekigun vs. Kaientai over that any day of the week ending in Y.

Blackjack Mulligan, Battle of the Belts 2: "We had a team meeting, and the Animal was elected captain by a vote of 4 to 2!" So Hawk and Blackjack voted for themselves, but Animal and Ellering's votes counted twice? What? Is there some Ellering stable I'm not aware of in CWF '86?

Wahoo/Brody was like a tease of a much longer, even more brutal brawl, but it was still a hoot. Great camera work on the first trip outside.

Unfortunately the director can't keep up in the chaotic Warriors/Mulligan vs Sullivan/Haze/Roop match, as we see guys bleed without seeing them get whacked at all, and miss spots that Solie is actually raising his voice for in the ring. The inconsistently soft work doesn't help. Then they end it on a second consecutive brawl to the back finish. We do get to hear Mike Graham shout "Goddammit!" as they brawl past the table.

Edit: Why in the world does Flair come out to "Easy Lover" by Phil Collins?! Utterly bizarre. I've seen this match before but if I think of anything brilliant to say...

Started watching the WWE Best of Starrcade DVD. Muta vs. Sting from 89 was pretty good, they started with the feeling out process that went into bursts of offense for both. They kicked it into gear pretty quick, but it made sense for a 15 minute time limit. Muta goes to the top one too many times and takes a dropkick while he's up there (good height by Sting) leading to a superplex for the win. Loved how simple moves were presented as dangerous and legitimate pinfall attempts. Windham/Pillman vs. Steamboat/Douglas from 92 was pretty good. I liked the extended shine on Windham by the pissed off faces a lot. Windham and Pillman beating up Douglas was the highlight of the match for me, good hope spots (including a literal revenge spot for Steamer), good cutoffs, ended exactly where it ought to. Windham cutting off Steamboat after the hot tag was good, because I think Steamboat as a hot tag was where he was weakest offensively. Douglas didn't have near enough time to recover before he was chomping at the bit to get back in though. The finish was too quick, especially for Pillman (the heel who had taken the least amount of damage) taking the fall. Either get the fall on Windham because he took a good amount of damage as the match progressed or cut out the Steamer heat and go to a few quick tags between the faces to do some damage to Pillman.

Edit:

Two random things that caught my attention in the Muta/Sting match I forgot to mention. Muta busting out a cattle mutilation in 1989 was kinda cool. And when he hit his running elbow, Muta took a moment to deal with the fact that he got no crowd reaction at all.

Power Hour, 01/05/1990:

- Ross takes the interesting step of noting that frequent jobber Lee Scott is referee in the opener. I can't decide if that's anti-kayfabe or super-kayfabe; a wrestler might very well get a ref license. Older kids and rec-league adults ref kids matches in real sports all the time.

- They replay Pillman/Cactus from Worldwide, which is a decent enough six minutes but I'm mostly interested for the broadcast team. I just watched everything I had of 1989, but my Worldwide set was missing November and December, so this is one of my first times hearing Cruise and Funk. They're damn good. Cruise queries Funk as a wrestling expert, asking for details on various armlocks, and they both sort of trade PBP without too much toe-stepping or dead air.

WCW, 01/06: Cornette calls the MX "Noriega's favorite tag team." Ha. I'm only a few episodes in to the JR/Sullivan team, but Sullivan is a pleasant surprise. Maybe my expectations were too low.

I could get pretty into Dragonmaster and Mad Dog, especially if they always finish with the tombstone and big splash. There's a commercial for the Eaton/Flair rematch, which I only knew by the taping date (no '89 Main Event set) and watched out of order. So I guess that makes it the first candidate for free TV MOTY in 1990 instead of coming too late to stand up to the terrific '89 slate.

Pillman and Zenk beat on the State Patrol with a variety of moves that feature a weird-looking and counterintuitive "Irish whip your partner into a running jump" setup. The worst is Zenk whipping Pillman to a jump-stop that pretty much ruins his awesome dropkick to (Patrolman) on the top rope. Zenk is nakedly awful with either Patrolman, flubbing multiple spots.

Much better is the debut of Mean Mark Callous, who gets the showcase of the Scrapers match and goes at it 100 mph with zero Taker deliberation at all. He ropewalks into a nice elbow drop, does the running kick (but only to the gut), and hits the flying clothesline. His introduction on the mic is one sentence of semi-drawled nothing while Long and Spivey shout over him. Awesome.

Watching Robbie Brookside's video diaries from the BBC. A nice little journey back in time and great to know Robbie is doing really well for himself right now!

He turned up on my twitter feed recently. He was tweeting about an old Craig Charles (Funk & Soul DJ/Corrie Actor/Red Dwarf/Poet) John Peel Session that he'd been listening to on Youtube and Craig RT'd it, just remember it being totally random and unexpected!

Been watching a bunch more 80s NWA and whilst I wasn't so hot on Paul Jones' army of misfits, boy am I enjoying him now that he's managing Rick Rude and Manny Fernandez (who I think are pretty bloody fantastic as a team).

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/clash-of-the-champions-13-thanksgiving-thunder-90/#.U_8ut2PFMg8

One of the worst cards ever put together...Hosses debut left and right, squash matches everywhere! Plus racist babyfaces, A BATTLE AX is used as a foreign object, magic tricks in the World title angle, and Ric Flair headlines to try and save the show.....

More Best of Starrcade. Hogan vs. Piper was a watchable brawl with a (wait what?) clean win for Piper over Hogan. I had forgotten about that part completely. Nash vs. Goldberg was better than Piper vs. Hogan up until the interference/taser stuff. Then came the first Battlebowl. Which was supposedly better than both, but I have to say it was pretty crappy even as battle royales go. Didn't seem like anybody really knew what was going on with the double ring setup or eliminations for a while. Awful.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/the-monday-night-wars-week-28-march-11th-1996/#.VAJlc2PFMg8

Austin becomes Stone Cold, Mark Henry makes his first appearance, Piper and Goldust get frisky, The Dungeon of Doom's big men implode, The Steiner Bros. return and challenge the Road Warriors and a 6 man donnybrook sets up Uncensored

This time it's 1993 and Austin is facing Dustin Rhodes in a 2/3 falls match. Really liked the work by both and how everything played out in a way that catches you off-guard watching it for the first time. Just when you think Dustin has Austin, he's foiled in a way that leaves you thinking he deserves better. Great work and great booking. Next up is Road Warriors vs. Arn/Tully from 1987. Man is the crowd rabid for the Road Warriors and they get a great extended shine. Arn/Tully build heat on Hawk, but not for long enough if you ask me. Finish works for everybody, Road Warriors get a sense of triumph and the Horsemen get to keep their belts. Good booking, match could have used about 5-7 more minutes for a better heat/finish. Rey vs. Liger from 96 started out great, with Liger understanding his role perfectly and laying in an awesome heel beatdown on Rey. Crowd starts coming around when Rey gets his big comeback spots, but the Misawa-esque (no elbows though) extended comeback is all kinds of spotty. Liger gets a little more spotty as the match progresses as well. I really preferred him as the base with Rey getting his hope spots to the back and forth spotty stuff. Honestly, I thought the Austin/Rhodes match was the best of the 3 despite being ranked lowest.

Started getting into those Best of CMLL 2014 DVDs today.

1. Hombre Bala Jr., Súper Halcón Jr., Dragon Lee, Oro Jr., Stigma, Robin, Guerrero Negro Jr., Canelo Casas, Black Panther, Hijo del Signo, Cachorro, Herodes Jr. (Copa Junior torneo Cibernetico, Arena Mexico, 01/01/2014)

I didn't care much for this one. It had some good action but they resorted to rapid fire eliminations towards the end and I only knew who a couple of guys were.

2. Mephisto vs. Atlantis (Mexican National Light Heavyweight Championship, Arena Mexico, 01/01/2014)

First two falls were pretty quick and not memorable but I really enjoyed the third fall. Atlantis seemed to be bringing his A game for this one and there was a good pace to the match. Mephisto was always one of my favorites when I was watching a few years ago.

3. Titán vs. Negro Casas (Leyenda de Plata Tournament Final, Arena Mexico, 01/03/2014)

This was okay. I don't really remember Titan from when I was last watching. I figured Negro Casas would win this one and he did. This was a pretty crisp match on the execution but it didn't have the same intensity level that parts of the previous match had. Still enjoyable though.

I have 2 matches left on this disc that I'll probably watch tonight and I might get into Vol. 2 tomorrow.

4. Máscara Dorada, Valiente, Volador Jr. vs. Averno, Mephisto, Último Guerrero (Arena Mexico, 01/03/2014)

I liked this match quite a bit. A pretty furious third fall with a lot of fast paced action. I was really surprised by the end as the tecnicos seemed to be setting themselves up for failure but pulled off the win here. It's crazy to see that Negro Casas and Ultimo Guerrero can still bump like maniacs as long as both have been around. This was probably my favorite match on this disc.

5. Eléctrico, Astral, Stukita, Shockercito, Último Dragoncito, Demus 3:16, Mercurio, Pierrothito, Pequeño Olímpico, Pequeño Nitro (Pequeno Reyes del Aire, Arena Mexico, 01/05/2014)

This one was better than the first elimination match. I don't care for these elimination matches or the minis in general but this was enjoyable enough.

Next up is Road Warriors vs. Arn/Tully from 1987. Man is the crowd rabid for the Road Warriors and they get a great extended shine. Arn/Tully build heat on Hawk, but not for long enough if you ask me. Finish works for everybody, Road Warriors get a sense of triumph and the Horsemen get to keep their belts. Good booking, match could have used about 5-7 more minutes for a better heat/finish.

Nope. Classic example of watching something out of context without a sense of history.

"Finish works for everybody"? The ending of this match killed Chicago as an NWA wrestling town for years. This is THE match that the Warriors should have finally won the belts after chasing them for three years. Terrible booking, killed the town....just brutal.

Wow, that seemed like it ought to give Chicago a sense of pride for the "should have" nature of the loss. They got the 3 in the ring only to have Tommy Young overturn it for the over the top DQ that he saw and the other ref didn't. Seems like the intention was there to give the Road Warriors a sense of victory anyway.

Continuing on, the Rock'n'roll vs. the Midnight expresses scaffold match from 87 was pretty good. I liked how the tennis racket ended up benefitting the RnRs more than Cornette's guys in the long run. Not a huge fan of the scaffold match because I think it's really limiting in what can be done. The postscript with Morton embarrassing Cornette's big man up top was good. Flair vs. Luger from 88 was pretty good with the exception of Luger's extremely limited offense that he recycles up to 3 times during the match. Luger working over the arm was far more compelling than the third run through of the Luger power spots, or the second for that matter. Luger's selling was very good though. Cut about 10 minutes off and you have a great match. Guerrero vs. Ohtani from 95 was really a spotfest after the New Japan style opening minutes. Some of them were incredible spots, but no real thread tying them together.

I reviewed WCCW Disk 40(basically a mix of stuff including matches from WCCW Legends and USWA Texas) in two parts here:
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2014/08/wccw-disk-40-review-part-1.html
http://prowresblog.blogspot.com/2014/09/wccw-disk-40-review-part-2.html

Overall thoughts: The first part was pretty decent with a fabulous Brickhouse Brown vs Iceman King Parsons match. The finish sucked but the match was near perfect minus that. We also had an okay Midnight Express squash, The Great Muta and some good heeling from Gino Hernandez. Part two wasn't as good, minus a good Kerry Von Erich vs Taras Bulba match. It had an awful Kelly Kiniski vs Scott Casey match and not much else aside from Gino being a good heel.

Some shots from the show:
c.gif
b.gif
9-1-2014%2B5-35-34%2BPM.jpg
9-1-2014%2B5-52-42%2BPM.jpg
8-29-2014%2B4-46-18%2BPM.jpg

Best of CMLL 2014 Vol. 2:

1. Negro Casas, Puma, Tiger vs Black Panther, Blue Panther, Cachorro (Arena Mexico, 01/07/2014)

5. Negro Casas, Puma, Tiger vs Black Panther, Blue Panther, Cachorro (Arena Mexico, 01/14/2014)

I liked these two matches quite a bit. The second match built off of the first match as things were more heated. I love how Negro Casas cheated to pick up the win in the first match and Blue Panther returned the favor in the return match. I'm really looking forward to seeing their singles match on the next volume. I like the angle of Blue Panther mentoring his kids as well. Negro Casas has been really great so far.

2. Rush, Stuka Jr., Titán vs Rey Bucanero, Terrible, Virus (Arena Mexico, 01/07/2014)

This was okay.

3. Máscara Dorada, Místico II, Valiente vs Kráneo, Mr. Águila, Reaper (Arena Mexico, 01/10/2014)

Kraneo might be my new favorite wrestler for his entrance here. Match was pretty fun.

4. Volador Jr. vs Negro Casas (Arena Mexico, 01/10/2014)

I didn't care much for this match. I've never really been a fan of Volador Jr. though. Negro Casas was good here though.

6. Delta, Super Porky, Valiente vs Boby Zavala, Dragón Rojo Jr., Pólvora (Arena Mexico, 01/14/2014)

This was fun for what it was.