Pro Wrestling Only

What are you watching?

Tim Cooke

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been trying to set up a Mystery Titans viewing of the four Mighty Joe Thunder matches with the gang for months but the timing has never worked out. Crazy James didn't see the comedy potential in Thunder and failed to include the matches on the 79-83 set. I promise we will view these horrors for either Mystery Titans or regular Titans one of these days!

Enjoyed the review. You should dip into more early 80s WWF, we always need more people to support the cause!

I've been trying to set up a Mystery Titans viewing of the four Mighty Joe Thunder matches with the gang for months but the timing has never worked out. Crazy James didn't see the comedy potential in Thunder and failed to include the matches on the 79-83 set. I promise we will view these horrors for either Mystery Titans or regular Titans one of these days!

Enjoyed the review. You should dip into more early 80s WWF, we always need more people to support the cause!

Thanks Ricky. Late 70s/Early 80s WWF is something I intend on diving more into soon, especially the old house shows.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wrasslin-august-1984/

A remarkably busy month as Vince snags several more top talents, Bruno Sammartino returns to the WWF after settling his lawsuit with the McMahon family, a non WWF title is defended on TV, more promotions are gobbled up by the expanding WWF, a former World champ is fired, a top WWF heel releases a rock album, Ole Anderson strikes back at Vince for "stealing" his promotion, the Road Warriors score a major title win, Mid-South sees a local favorite turn to the darkside, Memphis runs some mega cards, Florida is dealt a death blow as Dusty Rhodes jumps to JCP, the long Freebirds/Von Erich war settles in on a final battle, and much more!

Im just watching the final WWF Superstars before Wrestlemania 7 and Quake gets a pummelling at the hands of Beefcake who isnt named I think unoffically was mariner or Furrface.

Why exactly did they scrap this? Seems they put alot of work into this given Quake rarely got beaten this badly and they ve been doing it for 4 weeks. I know they scrapped it but would have thought a payoff would have happened at mania.

Philly fans are treated to a battle between World Champion Hulk Hogan and Greg "The Hammer" Valentine, plus Andre clashes with Big John Studd, Bob Backlund bids farewell to the WWF, Ken Patera returns, the Fabulous Freebirds and Kamala debut, Cyndi Lauper appears, Stampede talent shows up and more action from August of 1984...

St Louis fans are treated to the Hulk falling to a surprising foe, The Samoans clashing with Adonis/Murdoch/Studd in a broken ring, Bob Orton grappling with a legend, The Freebirds doing their thing, plus Kamala, Patera, JYD, Ventura, Schultz and some horrible commentary. Join me in the suffering!

I've been watching some Memphis Championship Wrestling from 2000. Up to March 2000 and the company is still in the early stages. It's mostly KAW without the language and with Jerry Lawler and Lance Russell. Lance calling evening gown matches between Bobcat and The Kat in a nightclub is just weird. The big feud is Jerry Lawler vs the KAW stable of Bull Pain, Todd Morton and Alki Holic. Bull is awesome as the lead heel and it pretty much holding the promotion together. Some of the WWF guys that have joined were Jim Neidhart, Blue Meanie, Reckless Youth and Brian Christopher. Man Meanie lost a lot of weight between late 1999 and 2000. The weirdest angle of the group is HHH sending guys down to take out Lawler after Lawler helped to Rock beat him and the Pyramid. First guy he sends down is a young Tomahawk aka Travis Tomko. I had no idea he was in developmental that early.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wwf-st-louis-kiel-auditorium-september-1st-1984/

St Louis fans are treated to Hulk Hogan brawling with George Steele, Tito Santana testing his mettle with Mr. Wonderful, Wendi Richter fending off the wicked Fabulous Moolah, Sgt. Slaughter defending America from the attacks of commie scum, plus Beefcake, the Spoiler, JYD, Kamala and others all appear in action...

I've been doing a JCP 85 watch and I'm at the end of August, in terms of quality Worldwide smokes the tbs show, you get better angles and matches plus those great crowds, the TBS show did improve once we got the Midnights coming in and the start of the Superstation Championship Challenge Series.

I'm in love with the Jimmy Valiant/Paul Jones feud, Jones is so over the top, him screaming "Not a Dog Collar Match" as loud as he can with "The Boy from New York City" playing in the background is hilarious, Billy Graham has been off TV for a few weeks so it's lots of Barb and Abby squashes which I'll always appreciate.

The Anderson's and Tully against America's Team stuff is also great, Magnum attacks Tully while dressed as a police officer, Sam Houston gets his arm broken and Baby Doll has just returned to Tully after 30 days with Dusty which has "the Highest Paid Sports Attraction in the world" complaining about the $4035 Baby Doll spent in Hawaii

I love this stuff so much

Favourite Moment of the year: After David Crockett gets Russian Sickled on the interview stage we cut to the Ring for a Barbarian squash and him and Paul Jones burst out laughing at Crockett

Close 2nd: A young kid gives Paul Jones a present leading to the Dog Collar incident mentioned above

GedNGHz.gif

rMu3LxS.gif

Philly fans entered the Spectrum to see if Andre's giant fist could close Roddy's big mouth, plus the Samoans chase down Murdoch and Adonis, The Hammer is tested by Rocky Johnson, Polish Power meets Jesse Ventura, David Schultz appears to shoot on a jobber, a WWF champion suffers a career ending injury, Dick Graham delivers some terrible commentary and more action.....

September 85 JCP

Sam Houston is getting a really big push on Worldwide, he pins Arn Anderson and gets attacked by the Andersons/Tully in the parking lot, this sets up Dusty/Magnum/Sam vs. Anderson/Tully which did happen on house shows in Bunkhouse Matches.

Billy Graham is back in tie-dye cutting babyface style promos but there has been no mention of what happened to Paul Jones being his manager.

Flair got attacked by Ivan and Nikita on WCW setting up Cage Matches, I'm sure Dusty will watch his back.

Terry Taylor punched Dillon on MACW and Black Bart and Buddy Landel want his blood

Tony Schiavone has taken over the local promos on Worldwide, tragically means no more Jackie Crockett looking like he's in a hostage tape

WCW and Worldwide angles are starting to align, no more Flair and Magnum feuding on WCW while running in to save the Rock and Rolls side by side on Worldwide

I've been doing a JCP 85 watch and I'm at the end of August, in terms of quality Worldwide smokes the tbs show, you get better angles and matches plus those great crowds, the TBS show did improve once we got the Midnights coming in and the start of the Superstation Championship Challenge Series.

I'm in love with the Jimmy Valiant/Paul Jones feud, Jones is so over the top, him screaming "Not a Dog Collar Match" as loud as he can with "The Boy from New York City" playing in the background is hilarious, Billy Graham has been off TV for a few weeks so it's lots of Barb and Abby squashes which I'll always appreciate.

The Anderson's and Tully against America's Team stuff is also great, Magnum attacks Tully while dressed as a police officer, Sam Houston gets his arm broken and Baby Doll has just returned to Tully after 30 days with Dusty which has "the Highest Paid Sports Attraction in the world" complaining about the $4035 Baby Doll spent in Hawaii

Favourite Moment of the year: After David Crockett gets Russian Sickled on the interview stage we cut to the Ring for a Barbarian squash and him and Paul Jones burst out laughing at Crockett

Close 2nd: A young kid gives Paul Jones a present leading to the Dog Collar incident mentioned above

GedNGHz.gif

rMu3LxS.gif

The kid was Valiant's son.

Giving some love to Eddie Guerrero vs. Hector Guerrero available on the WWE Network (Nitro 7/22/97). Under 5 min. but full of just great stuff, very physical, Eddie riling up the crowd, Hector’s incredibly loud vocal selling (especially when Eddie bites his relative .. twice!), and just felt like a fight in the way that say the modern WWE product just doesn’t rarely capture. Loved this.

GedNGHz.gif

rMu3LxS.gif

The kid was Valiant's son.

That explains his magical power to get "The Boy from New York City" playing on command by running off camera

September of 1984 saw the Freebirds fly out of the WWF, A major star's career is cut short due to a sudden medical incident, A former NWA champ debuts for Vince, Dusty positions himself as Flair's top contender, The Brain is banished from the AWA, a former world champ leaves Verne's roster, two all-time great teams clash in Chicago, Pro Wrestling USA debuts, Lawler teams with a long time foe, The AWA sabotages the Von Erichs expansion plans, A major heel turn rocks Texas, Watts attempts to replace JYD with Master Gee, Cornette is scalped, 34,000 fans witness a Puerto Rican Stadium supercard, JCP loses a top star to Vince and many more news and results!

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/mlg-92384/

Toronto fans are offered up a rather pitiful card, full of bad refereeing, poor announcing, lousy matches, and botches...all sort of saved by a double main event of Andre the Giant facing Kamala and Sgt. Slaughter brawling with the Iron Sheik....this was a rough one to get through....

Philly fans were treated to a wild tag team encounter featuring the JYD and Sgt. Slaughter clashing with Nikolai Volkoff and the Iron Sheik (I linked the video - it's that good), plus World Champ Hulk Hogan attempts to bully the massive Big John Studd, the undercard sees Ken Patera, Greg Valentine and Brutus Beefcake battle some underdogs, plus and early appearance from David Sammartino.