Pro Wrestling Only

What are you watching?

Tim Cooke

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Kerry Von Erich enjoys a home field advantage as NWA World Champ Ric Flair comes to Dallas to take up his challenge. Kevin Von Erich seeks revenge against Chris Adams in a "lumberjack" match, Mike Von Erich teams with Billy Jack Haynes to meet the menace of Jake the Snake and Gino Hernandez, plus the Fantastics duel with the Midnight Express, and the Freebirds butt heads with Akbar's Army!

• 2 weeks later...
9 is a very well booked show with multiple career performances (Tatanka, Yoko, probably Crush, Lex in WWF) multiple intersecting storylines that clearly laid out TV to Summerslam. I feel like people just stayed pissed at the Hogan thing at the end of the show, but they forget that 1. Hulk clearly challenged the winner before the match and wanted Bret to win so he could see if Hulkamania could still run wild 2. Yoko and Fuji CHALLENGED HIM 3. Bret told him to go for it and it was clear that Bret (who had been KO'd by Lex earlier in the day and got cheated in the finish) would face Hogan later in the year, where Hogan would pass the torch. People also forget that it was by far the biggest reaction of the night and people were happier to see Hogan beat Yoko than they were sad to see Yoko beat Bret.

See this is what really bugs me about other wrestling forums, people have a habit of complaining about the Mania 9 finish who were either too young to remember or now suddenly changed their mind but Hulk got the biggest reaction of the night when he beat Yoko for the belt. Back in 1993 would we really have wanted mania to end with Yokozuna with the belt?

Unless you were a hardcore Bret Hart fan from Calgary watching in a room full of fellow Bret Hart supporters, who were so excited that their favorite wrestler was headlining Wrestlefuckingmania, only two years removed from being just another tag team wrestler and in a spot really only Hulk Hogan had before, the finish really, really, really, really fucking sucked with the Fury of a Million Burning Suns and always will

Currently watching CZW show from this past weekend, I know Sami Callihan has taken over the booking and I don't know when the change in direction started happening, but it's been a very enjoyable show so far. The opening tag match wasn't much, MJF I really liked, hadn't seen him before.

Starr-Sabre Jr match was great IMO, I love Sabre Jr "sprint impact" matches he does, it's something he has added to his game over the past year or so, told a great story of Starr just not having at extra bit to finish off Sabre.

Certainly seems like CZW are going for more of a mid 2000 ROH feel with their direction. I know they plan to move away from the Deathmatch genre and if this show is anything to go by, I'm all for it...

Currently watching CZW show from this past weekend, I know Sami Callihan has taken over the booking and I don't know when the change in direction started happening, but it's been a very enjoyable show so far. The opening tag match wasn't much, MJF I really liked, hadn't seen him before.

Starr-Sabre Jr match was great IMO, I love Sabre Jr "sprint impact" matches he does, it's something he has added to his game over the past year or so, told a great story of Starr just not having at extra bit to finish off Sabre.

Certainly seems like CZW are going for more of a mid 2000 ROH feel with their direction. I know they plan to move away from the Deathmatch genre and if this show is anything to go by, I'm all for it...

Well the second half of the show slipped straight into the CZW of old, which of course is there bread and butter, and can't be knocked.

I watched Starrcade yesterday because someone on here mentioned the card in another thread. Then today I watched Halloween Havoc 1992 because someone mentioned Ron Simmons Vs. Barbarian.

I'm seriously considering starting a blog on wrestling from 1987-1994. That's easily my favorite time period of wrestling. Pre-Monday Night Wars, before Hogan jumped ship to WCW. I just need to decide on when to start in 1987. Probably Saturday Night's Main Event from Oct. 3rd, 1987 when the Mega Powers formed. That's the older wrestling memory I can remember. So I'll stop in June 1994. So Slamboree 1994 will probably be the last show I do. Maybe King of the Ring 1994.

The Wrestling War in 1983/84 is gone over month by month in this look at all the noteworthy news, gossip and results. Tidbits include: Ole Anderson's attempt to expand nationally without the NWA's blessing, the Grand Wizard's death causing a break in kayfabe, Mr. T almost heads to Memphis for a Jarrett show, the AWA is attacked by the IRS thanks to McMahon's meddling, the WWF teases a WORLDwide expansion, the Von Erich's draw everywhere - but Papa Fritz doesn't want to leave Texas, The Freebirds locker room fight with two legendary tough guys, Bruiser Brody gets the AWA kicked out of an arena, Bobby Heenan's surprising plans had the WWF not come calling, Buddy Rose plots to screw over Don Owens, Vince running out of money and nearly loses the war by default, the hall of famer the AWA tried to bring in to replace Heenan, and more!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I am watching Crockett 87 . I am right up to Starrcade 87. The most noteworthy event has been Crockett obtaining the service of Rick Steiner. Steiner is a killer , just an animal in the ring. Steiner had everything ; wrestling ability , speed , strength , conditioning , a great ring presence and a great build . Steiner should have been given a manager to handled the promo work and booked as a single wrestler , instead of being placed in the Varsity Club. .

Also re- watched some late 70's / early 80's Florida. footage and some 85 Continental TV , The Stud Stable vs. The Armstrong clan is one of favorite feuds of all time.

The grit, blood and brawling that personified Mid-South wrestling is on display in the "Best of Mid-South Wrestling Vol. 1". There's no penis suplexes and only one DIVE, but Ted Dibiase, JYD, Paul Orndorff, Bob Roop, Hacksaw Jim Duggan, the One Man Gang, Buck Robley and others are here to fight and wrassle! AWA Champion Nick Bockwinkel makes a special appearance, and Bill Watts adds in his expert analysis.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/dvdvrs-best-mid-south-wrestling-volume-2-review/

Round 2 of the best of Mid-South wrestling sees the JYD seek revenge against Ted Dibiase and the rest of the Rat Pack, with Mr. Olympia standing by his side. Bill Watts buries the JYD after he leaves for the WWF, Butch Reed dominates a former World champ, Nick Bockwinkel attempts to outclass Dusty Rhodes, plus lots of blood, babyface vigilance, heels being EVIL and wrasslin' in front of hot hot crowds!

Dirty Heels (Austin Aries and Bobby Roode) vs. The Young Bucks - House of Hardcore VIII

This was the evening’s main event following a bloody Tommy Dreamer and Eric Young brawl. On a sidetone I really dig HoH. It has came closest to capturing the ECW zeitgeist and milieu. Dirty Heels’ t-shirts look like they were designed using Mario Paint. Aries was always known his unbelievable speed and snap but as he’s aged he’s needed to rely more on craftiness. Both teams trade some perfunctory arm work to start. Not sure why you’d target the Bucks’ arms when their offense is mostly Superkicks and springboards.
You could call the Heels by the names Moe and Curly cause they’re Stooging. Has anyone ever definitively answered who’s the best Jackson: Matt, Nick, or Malachi? I’ve sometimes wondered is Roode a really measured worker or a habitually lazy one? Aries leans into some Matt forearms before going for a double-leg to stop the flurry like he’s trying to secure a spot in the TUF house so he can share a bunk with Julian Lane. “Let me bang bro!” Aries’ wobbly selling is camp.
I get Dreamer booking this on top wanting to tip his hat to the current era but this has felt like a fairly safe touring match that’s awfully self-contained. The Dreamer/Young deal with two mystery run-ins and blood felt way more appropriate as a finale (especially with Rey Mysterio shocking the crowd). Ref apparently letting this become a Tornado Tag as all four guys go at it in the ring. You’ve seen all of the Bucks’ Superkick tricks but I’ve got to point one out here as Matt nailed Aries who was flying in mid-air attempting an accelerated corner dropkick. Meltzer Driver ends Aries. This was uniform and fairly pedestrian stuff. Post-match all four guys jerking each other off mid-ring felt especially deprecatory (like “yeah we’re four buddies that just but on a laissez-faire show for you”) then they started fanboy-ing out as Sandman’s music hit and the show faded to black.

December of 1984 sees Cyndi Lauper return to the WWF for a wild angle, a major babyface leaves the WWF, Roddy Piper's DUI causes a break in Kayfabe, TNT features an infamous wedding(!), a drunken Capt Lou injures another wrestler with a knife, 20/20 reveals (GASP) wrestling is fake, Lou Thesz returns to St. Louis, a legendary heel joins the babyfaces in Georgia to battle Jimmy Hart's goons, Dusty Rhodes teams with Ole Anderson- again..., the AWA loses another star, Brody pulls his no showing stunts again, a fan threatens the life of Ted Dibiase, the Russians maul another JCP babyface and more!

Isami Kodaka vs Kenji Fukimoto - 3/5/17 BJW

Gusset Plates & Sawed Off Cans 2-Sided Death Match

Stumbled across this match online and the sawed off cans (as in tin cans) caught my attention. Surprisingly un-gory (as modern death matches go) and tons of fun to watch. A ladder shows up and the tin can board spots are cringe inducing. As an infrequent deathmatch watcher, I would highly recommend this

Watching "The Last Rebel" documentary about Bruiser Brody on Highspots Network and it is really good. Lots of footage from Japan, St. Louis, Texas, and probably some indies. Weird to see Bruiser Brody working guys like Nikolai Volkoff and Chris Adams

They really go into details about the death in Puerto Rico with Tony Atlas, Dutch, Buddy Landell (2009 shoot interview), and others. Very compelling stuff although isn't the report that Tony Atlas recount of the incident is rather suspect? I know that the stories of how the trial occured have been considered true

Highspots really has done some great documentaries on the business. Good thing all of them are on this network

Another round of Mid-South action sees Ted Dibiase and Duggan engage in a wild brawl, the Midnight Express take their villainous ways to the ring against Mr. Wrestling II and Magnum TA, Bill Dundee plays the role of Superman, plus the Rock and Roll Express, Buddy Landel, Butch Reed and others engage in battles of good vs. evil - played out inside the squared circle.

The Last Stampede of Bill Watts is witnessed by thousands as he teams with Stagger Lee to seek revenge upon Jim Cornette and his Midnight Express. Ted Dibiase is seen in three different encounters attempting to cease the rise to stardom Magnum T.A. is enjoying, plus Hacksaw Jim Duggan joins the Rock and Roll Express in battle with Ernie Ladd and the Midnight Express!

The WWF charges into MSG with a card featuring a triple main event of sorts as Andre the Giant collides with the mighty Ken Patera, JYD aligns with Jimmy Snuka to tangle with Roddy Piper and Bob Orton in a Texas Tornado tag team bout, plus Tito Santana grapples with IC champion Greg Valentine. The rest of the card is brutally bad as Bret Hart, Don Muraco, Blackjack Mulligan, the Spoiler, Big John Studd and others face lesser talents in uninspiring encounters.