Pro Wrestling Only

What are you watching?

Tim Cooke

"Supertape" sees former AWA and NWA champions squaring off in a WWF ring, "No Holds Barred" comes to life as Brutus Beefcake and Hulk Hogan battle the Macho King and Zeus in a steel cage, The Million Dollar Man tangles with Jake the Snake, Tito Santana grapples with "Ravishing" Rick Rude, Tugboat debuts, and the Bushwackers face off with 3 different teams who can't match the Wackers technical wizardry in the ring.

I do wish WWE would just put the whole thing on the network. NHB was advertised as a WWF PPV showing the Match and the Film so figured they must own the film.

have you emailed the WWE and asked them about this? They might give you an answer.

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/from-the-wwe-network-wwf-world-tour-1990/

"World Tour '90' sees a loaded compilation of solid wrestling and amusing action. Hulk Hogan batters Sherri Martel almost as much as the Macho Man in their encounter. Even the announcers struggle to justify Hogan's actions. Jim Duggan and the Honky Tonk Man have a "so bad it's good" encounter with lazy, sloppy action and a super hot crowd, Ted Dibiase battles the Ultimate Warrior with a "bizarro world" crowd as the Japanese audience embraces the Million Dollar Man, The Rockers and Rougeaus engage in a fun affair, Bret Hart suffers a legit injury - yet still gets a good match out of Dino Bravo, plus Jimmy Snuka is the featured superstar in the "profile" segment, giving us the gift of mat classics with Boris Zhukov and the Honky Tonk Man!!

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/from-the-wwe-network-wrestlefest-1990/

Wrestlefest 90:
"Rowdy" Roddy Piper clashes with the Macho King in a rare encounter between two of the biggest stars ever... Mr. Perfect plays pinball for the Hulkster....The Earthquake and Dino Bravo try to maul the Ultimate Warrior....a spotlight on the Hart Foundation sees them face off with the Powers of Pain, The Rockers and members of Jimmy Hart's entourage....Beefcake attempts to give the Model a new hairstyle...plus Jake the Snake partners with the Ultimate Warrior to face Akeem and the Million Dollar Man!

Wrestlefest 90:
"Rowdy" Roddy Piper clashes with the Macho King in a rare encounter between two of the biggest stars ever... Mr. Perfect plays pinball for the Hulkster....The Earthquake and Dino Bravo try to maul the Ultimate Warrior....a spotlight on the Hart Foundation sees them face off with the Powers of Pain, The Rockers and members of Jimmy Hart's entourage....Beefcake attempts to give the Model a new hairstyle...plus Jake the Snake partners with the Ultimate Warrior to face Akeem and the Million Dollar Man!

Did Piper and Savage clash any more times in WWE? I can only thing of during the Rumble.

I know they did in WCW but wondered in WWF.

"Hacksaw" Jim Duggan gives the Macho King all he can handle in a battle for the crown, The Rockers are given a "profile" section that ends in an unexpected manner, Demolition battles the WWF's new heel tandem, Roddy Piper and Rick Rude brawl, Rick Martel and Bret Hart tangle in a technical battle, Akeem dances in the face of Greek Mythos, and the Hulkster partners with the Barber to try and put a hurting on Mr. Perfect and the Genius!

Wrestlefest 90:

Did Piper and Savage clash any more times in WWE? I can only thing of during the Rumble.

I know they did in WCW but wondered in WWF.

wrestlingdata shows a bunch of dates in 89/90 plus a handful of singles and tag matches during his first run

I was watching a random early Thunder and the highlights were:

(1) Super Calo taking a bump that was crazy stupid even for Super Calo.

(2) Raven pushing Saturn on top of Disco Inferno, who is lying on his belly. Both are selling being knocket out or whatever and referee Billy Silverman actually starting to count a pinfall (I suppose Disco was expected to lie on his back for that spot) though at least stopping at the count of two.

(3) Lee Marshall shouting "Diamond Cutter out of nowhere".

I finished 1993 ECW.

Still very much a territory, with all the talent known from elsewhere and the constant highlight packages and the ever present shilling for the big shows, but it's slowly finding it's groove. And the development of the fans is very interesting, from a handful of guys (and kids) in the first shows to the screams of We Want Blood in the end of the year.

I finished 1993 ECW.

Still very much a territory, with all the talent known from elsewhere and the constant highlight packages and the ever present shilling for the big shows, but it's slowly finding it's groove. And the development of the fans is very interesting, from a handful of guys (and kids) in the first shows to the screams of We Want Blood in the end of the year.

I started 1995. I'm in February and it's great stuff

• 2 weeks later...

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/the-march-to-wrestlemania-9/

WWE should really put the old USA specials up before their corresponding PPVs one of these years. Here's a passive aggressive look at the "March to WM 9" with a lot of talent that was not part of the show or even with the WWF by the time this special aired. Macho Man is over HUGE even without a Mania program, Hulk Hogan cuts a promo about mermaids, Taker and Bam Bam Bigelow have a fun battle, Kamala is the Christian Cannibal, plus more fun!

Was watching the Backlund/Sheik - Sheik/Hogan comp from a YouTube channel.

Hogan kissing up to Bob Backlund was sort of interesting since Backlund didn't make it to the end of 1984 in the WWF before leaving.

Backlund and several others attempting continuity to explain that Hogan was a good guy now.

Hogan doing the offense he did in every Japanese math in his first WWF matches

The MSG crowd was fucking yoked for Hogan/Sheik.

Also, the postmatch festivities included Mean Gene interviewing Hogan's parents (Pete and Ruth Bollea, or as they're called for the purposes of kayfabe Pete and Ruth Hogan), and the combo of them being so small next to Hogan and Hogan calling his parents by their first names would make one think that they adopted Hogan.

But if it weren't for VJM thinking "Irish surname" for Hogan a few years earlier, they could have mentioned that Hogan's partially Italian.

I'll leave you with the idea of Hulk Hogan joining the Full Blooded Italians in the late 90s for some reason. Thank you.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wrestling-back-in-the-day-april-1985-part-2/

Part 2 of April in 1985 sees the AWA run a loaded card only weeks after Mania 1 - with the WWF taking them on with a card of their own, Two cagey vets have an infamous "Shoot" with the Road Warriors to teach them a lesson. Two legends return to action in the AWA, Pro Wrestling USA saw a bit of a WWWF dream match take place a few years too late, The Freebirds tape their motion picture debut, Montreal booms as the AWA stars pop another big house, Bruiser Brody causes more headaches, David Schultz makes headlines for another attack away from the ring, Don Owens turns to Ric Flair to try and salvage his promotion and more news, notes and results!

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/from-the-wwf-network-wrestlings-tough-guys/

Wrestling's Tough Guys is a ROUGH tape to watch! Tito Santana can't get much out of the muscle bound Dino Bravo, Hacksaw Duggan butts heads with Boris Zhukov, The Powers of Pain and the Bushwackers have a true stinker, Hercules and Akeem have a comedic clash of titans, and in the only truly redeeming part of the tape sees Haku and Ronnie Garvin tossing stiff shots at one another in a true battle of legit badasses.

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/from-the-wwe-network-the-wwfs-hottest-matches/

"The WWF's Hottest matches" is a pretty solid release. Tito Santana and Rick Martel put forth a nice battle, Jake the Snake's psychologically strong style is on display in matches with Akeem and the Million Dollar Man, The Rockers tangle with the Orient Express, and Dusty Rhodes faces Greg Valentine in one on one action, then teams with Sapphire for a crowd pleaser against the Macho King and Queen Sherri, who are joined by Brother Love. Plus the Barber has a stinker against Haku and a young Shawn Michaels gets an early chance at singles success as he grapples with Ted Dibiase.

• 2 weeks later...

http://culturecrossfire.com/wrestling/wrasslin-back-in-the-day-april-1985-part-3/

The final part of April 1985 sees Nick Bockwinkel head to Memphis to face off with another Hall of Fame heel, a rumored power play in Florida could alter wrestling history, Gary Hart watches one of his creations ruined by bad booking, a new giant gets his first push, World Class gossip suggests they will partner with an act that is selling out stadiums across the USA, Bill Watts takes to the airways to shoot on Sports Entertainment and 20/20, a gimmick change turns a jabroni into a headliner, the WWF is embarrassed in Texas, Jim Crockett makes the biggest move in his business history, plus more news, rumors, and results!

We live in awesome times and in a great community. I'm switching between unearthed 80s and 90s Japanese handhelds, 00-01 Monterrey lucha with Negro Casas, and on my queue are Kanemoto/Wagner, a Fujiwara match that shodate suggested, the Casas/Cavernario tag title challenge from last week, and whatever the heck Daniel Bryan is going to do this tuesday night in a TV match.

We live in awesome times and in a great community. I'm switching between unearthed 80s and 90s Japanese handhelds, 00-01 Monterrey lucha with Negro Casas, and on my queue are Kanemoto/Wagner, a Fujiwara match that shodate suggested, the Casas/Cavernario tag title challenge from last week, and whatever the heck Daniel Bryan is going to do this tuesday night in a TV match.

Totally. I'm planning on rewatching the Bruno/Larry feud, tackling some of the All Star on the Network, and figuring out the best way to consume '92 WCW since the Saturday Night shows got dumped (tips appreciated). Oh, plus there is a live Black Label Pro show on Powerbomb tonight with PCO vs Chris Dickinson and Nick Gage vs Tom Lawlor. These are the best days.

I'm watching TNT from Jan. 86 and Capt. Lou described Animal Steele as "homicidal, suicidal!!" etc etc and very much sounded like proto-Paul E putting over Sabu a decade later.

Later in the show "Candice Purdue" comes out to talk about her weight lifting training and wrestling career (She's from Moolah's camp). Vince brings a geek with small arms out of the audience to arm wrestle her - and the dude wins. LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

The show also sees a great botch as a jobber gets up the wrong way against Davey Boy Smith and he hits a crossbody on the guy anyway.

This also seems to be the debut of Adonis' full on gay gimmick. No more teasing the "Relax with Trudy" briefcase. In 2018 this is a babyface promo as Adonis proudly yells about going to the places he wants go to be with the people he wants to be with and "yes, I'm gay!". Vince brings out a flamingly gay makeup artist but McMahon won't even shake the guy's hand, apparently afraid of cooties.

---

"SuperTape 3" sees Kerry Von Erich in a possibly impaired state as he grapples with Mr. Perfect, Jimmy Snuka sets some kind of record for bad wrestling as he and the Barbarian have a stinker, Jake the Snake shows off his psychology talents as he tangles with Curt Hennig, Paul Roma does his best to have a poor match with Marty Jannetty, the Legion of Doom and Demolition collide twice to establish tag team dominance, Tugboat and the Earthquake test the weight limit of the ring, and the Big Bossman and Ted Dibiase outshine the rest of pack with their efforts in one on one action.