Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

Is Beefcake the guy who was most carried by his gimmick? The haircut thing was super over and he has less to back it up than anyone I can think of.

Gangrel maybe, although it didn't carry him any farther than a European Title shot. He had that awesome music, the entrance with flames, the blood-spitting, his own stable, and the bloodbath routine, and people seemed into it. I can't remember anything that he did, though. He had no memorable matches (maybe a product of the time), and I don't know if he ever got to cut a promo.

Anyway, he wasn't carried very far by his gimmick, but he strikes me as a guy who was over solely because of the gimmick he was given rather than because of anything that he did.

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think they're related, since Punk said on the radio show that they broke up in August, which is about the time Beth's most recent push began. Besides, I thought they were just building her up so Kharma would have someone to feud with when she came back.

Here's a clip from the radio show in question:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c0azpC68C2c

Come to think of it, didn't Punk have kind of a messy breakup with Maria too? You know what, dude, maybe it's you.

Is Beefcake the guy who was most carried by his gimmick? The haircut thing was super over and he has less to back it up than anyone I can think of.

Gangrel maybe, although it didn't carry him any farther than a European Title shot. He had that awesome music, the entrance with flames, the blood-spitting, his own stable, and the bloodbath routine, and people seemed into it. I can't remember anything that he did, though. He had no memorable matches (maybe a product of the time), and I don't know if he ever got to cut a promo.

Anyway, he wasn't carried very far by his gimmick, but he strikes me as a guy who was over solely because of the gimmick he was given rather than because of anything that he did.

Someone (And I think it's Christian) tells a story about how they had HUGE plans for Gangrel. They loved the entrance and the look and everything else, but the first time he had a chance to do a major promo, he froze and that was the end of their faith in him.

Come to think of it, didn't Punk have kind of a messy breakup with Maria too?

Don't remember whear but she did an int saying it was amicable and that they remained friends even after the breakup pretty much blaming it on the travel & other stuff that goes into being a wrestler not leaving much time for them to make the relationship work.

Anyone else follwing the Dana White vs Internet drama on Twitter? First UFC's site gets hacked and Dana White blows it off.. Next Dana challenges Anonymous to do it again and of course, they hack his person info. Then he goes on Twitter and actually acknowledges them and they go back and forth. Is Dana really this stupid and why don't the Fertittas try to put him in line. Really makes UFC look bush league.

Someone (And I think it's Christian) tells a story about how they had HUGE plans for Gangrel. They loved the entrance and the look and everything else, but the first time he had a chance to do a major promo, he froze and that was the end of their faith in him.

I think Edge says something like that in his book.

Let's be fair, Gangrel is nowhere near as shitty a worker as Beefcake often was. He didn't have any really memorable matches, but that's pretty hard to do when you rarely get to go longer than three minutes per night.

Also, fans love a bully.

Depressingly so, yes. Most of the biggest babyfaces in wrestling have been total fucking assholes who viciously preyed upon weak helpless victims on many occasions. Not exactly a good message to send, but the bookers never seem to care.

I've never got the whole, "Aw, I feel sorry for that poor jobber who Beefcake gave a crappy haircut". It's some jobber, who cares about his hair? Is this a generational thing? :P

For real. Growing up, seeing Beefcake cut some jobber's hair was always a fun highlight in squash-centric episodes of Challenge or Superstars or what have you. Plus as a kid, it made you want to see him do that to the dastardly Honky/Savage/whomever.

Maybe it's different when you're a kid; children can often be some bloodthirsty little sociopathic bastards. But first watching wrestling as a grown adult, the one thing which annoyed me the most was how ridiculously mean everyone was. (Yes, this was in 1999, whatta shock.) It's not just that the heroes were lousy role models, it was how they literally couldn't even walk into the same room with another person and not instantly get into a fight. If two guys happened to bump into each other in the hallway, it immediately turned into a die-you-dirty-motherfucker-die grudge feud. And I've never enjoyed babyfaces who act like egotistical pricks who are above the rules. When Rock is humiliating backstage announcers or Austin is Stunning helpless women, I absolutely don't understand the appeal.

Can you imagine if he had been born a decade later and introduced his gimmick during the upsurge of the vampire craze?

Talk about being born a decade too soon...

It was Matt Hardy, they had Gangrel do a segment with the Rock. He froze up and blew it. Listening to his shoot he has serious problems with self confidence and it affected his ring work.

Can you imagine if he had been born a decade later and introduced his gimmick during the upsurge of the vampire craze?

Talk about being born a decade too soon...

Well, 1, they were capitalizing on Blade, and 2, they did have Kevin Thorn.

It was Matt Hardy, they had Gangrel do a segment with the Rock. He froze up and blew it. Listening to his shoot he has serious problems with self confidence and it affected his ring work.

It's too bad, but it was stupid on their part, Gangrel was a great character and a solid enough worker. Have Luna cut the promos for him, and that's it. He didn't need to talk. That's why managers were needed, to back up workers who couldn't cut promo, but they were in this "everyone has to cut promos" era which sucked. From the interviews I've heard from him, Dave Heath was a shy, humble guy who wasn't particulary self confident. Add to the fact that Luna got in trouble with Sable at the same time, and Gangrel was doomed. To me he was much better in the ring than Edge, and had a much better character too. I was very disapointed about the way things turned out for this guy, he deserved better.

And I can't forget the story of Luna coming back to the dressing room after making useless Sable look like a million dollar and being ignored by the entire locker room while Sable got all the praise, and feeling like shit and wanting to cry. She mentionned one guy who came to her and put her over big, but I forgot who it was. Luna was another sensitive hard working girl who deserved way better than she got.

Shit, Luna & Heath were good people, I guess that's why they got fucked.:(

It's too bad, but it was stupid on their part, Gangrel was a great character and a solid enough worker. Have Luna cut the promos for him, and that's it. He didn't need to talk. That's why managers were needed, to back up workers who couldn't cut promo, but they were in this "everyone has to cut promos" era which sucked. From the interviews I've heard from him, Dave Heath was a shy, humble guy who wasn't particulary self confident. Add to the fact that Luna got in trouble with Sable at the same time, and Gangrel was doomed. To me he was much better in the ring than Edge, and had a much better character too. I was very disapointed about the way things turned out for this guy, he deserved better.

And I can't forget the story of Luna coming back to the dressing room after making useless Sable look like a million dollar and being ignored by the entire locker room while Sable got all the praise, and feeling like shit and wanting to cry. She mentionned one guy who came to her and put her over big, but I forgot who it was. Luna was another sensitive hard working girl who deserved way better than she got.

Shit, Luna & Heath were good people, I guess that's why they got fucked.:(

Owen Hart