Pro Wrestling Only

Comments that don't warrant a thread - Part 3

Loss

• Replies 8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I think I've talked myself into Sheamus winning the Rumble. Thinking about it, no matter who won the Rumble, that match is going to be, at best, the #4 or #5 match at this year's Wrestlemania (behind Rock/Cena, Undertaker/HHH, Punk/Jericho, and maybe Big Show/Shaq). Why not try somebody that would be somewhat new in the spot? Even if it fails, you're talking about the #5 match at Wrestlemania failing, and at least it does make the Rumble less predictable. Going in, without the final roster having ever been finalized for the Rumble, most people probably thought there were only 2-3 people who could realistically win the match: Jericho, Orton, and Cena. MAYBE Punk if he lost to Ziggler. Sheamus doesn't feel like he's totally out of left field like, say, Santino or Duggan might, but he's still different enough to where next year's Rumble might not feel like only a couple of people can actually win.

Everyone who thought that Sheamus winning was a huge shock must not watch Smackdown on a regular basis, because he's been one of the top two or three babyfaces on that brand for the past like half year. I'm pretty sure he hasn't eaten a single pinfall loss since he turned.

They didn't script a storyline that made him seem like he was in the running though. Compare this to say Chris Benoit winning the Rumble in 2004 and it's like night and day.

Who did get a storyline, though? Pretty much everyone this year was "blah blah blah oh BTW I'm in the Rumble."

I think that was a lot of the problem with the Rumble this year. There was really no over-arching storyline. There were some fun moments (Kofi's handstand, Socko vs. The Cobra), but no story within the Rumble itself. A guy would enter, be in a while, maybe eliminate someone else, and then get eliminated. There was no Diesel/Kane thing where someone goes on a tear. No one lasting for a really long time (Miz kinda did, but then just got tossed to little fanfare). It was just kinda there.

I don't order PPV's very often. I hate it when I finally do, and it all seems like a setup for the next nights Raw.

I think the reaction to Sheamus winning shows a clear divide between the fans that watch RAW and the smaller group of fans that also watch Smackdown.

I think if you watch RAW almost exclusively, even though Sheamus wins the majority of the time, he's still presented as a midcard-level wrestler on RAW right now because he hasn't been featured in the WWE title scene for some time.

Personally, I don't watch Smackdown nearly as much as I intend to, but from reading reports it appears Sheamus is presented at a much higher level.

It's ridiculous that more people (myself included) don't watch Smackdown now because they make it incredibly easy to watch the show anytime you want on WWE's YouTube channel. No, I don't have any idea why I don't see it more often because I watch other wrestling on YouTube all the time and I even like many of the primarily Smackdown wrestlers.

RAW, however, has been on at the same time on Monday night for almost 20 years now and I definitely believe people are waaaaay more conditioned (and quite frankly, available) to watch wrestling on Monday night at that time compared to Friday evening.

That being said - with Cena vs. Rock being the known main event of Wrestlemania and the possible Big Show vs. Shaq match, I think this was a perfect year to have someone younger on the roster or even more surprising win the Rumble because it honestly won't have a major effect on Mania viewership this year anyway.

Hell, in hindsight with them not having Del Rio win the belt at Mania last year, they should have just had Santino win it at the end in 2011 to give the Rumble that "anything can happen!" feel and have it be the truth for once.

I personally was rooting for the "Jericho wins without touching a single wrestler scenario." I envisioned him coming out at around 25, doing his cheering act all around ringside and then jumping in the ring when it came down to him and two others....except the other two manage to eliminate one another, leaving Jericho victorious.

I was more curious to see how far they could go with him literally not touching another wrestler - imagine if they could make it all the way to Wrestlemania without him involved with any physicality on TV?

That's probably too far fetched, but I do find it strange that he ran out and immediately competed as normal, like everything he built on TV since his return never even happened.

The only reason Sheamus win was surprising is because he has done jackshit for the last couple of months. He's probably the highest level "star" who has had the least to do over that time period. When Bryan first won the belt I actually said "I bet he works Sheamus at Mania" maybe even in this forum. It just seemed like the logical place after the Henry/Show rematches. But I didn't figure they'd get there via this vehicle

I guess we'll have to see if Jericho's storyline goes anywhere (LOL) but I think reversing the order of his return so that he was a shock entrant at the Rumble and THEN does the no talking schtick for a little while would have been a more interesting plan. Imagine if they did the empty ring for #30 and it was his return? That would have been awesome. It already seemed at the Rumble that Jericho was back to being just another guy.

As far as Sheamus, I completely doubt that this was planned anytime but immediately before. Sheamus has been beating up Jinder Mahal and doing little else for over a month, and before that he was getting eliminated from a battle royal by Hornswoggle. I still have no idea why Sheamus is a face or what his motivation is in any way.

no matter who won the Rumble, that match is going to be, at best, the #4 or #5 match at this year's Wrestlemania

Yeah I was thinking a lot about that. If it were up to me i'd have him face Bryan for the belt, storm out at the begining of Mania, challenge him to fight him in the opener saying he doesn't want to wait then beat him in like 30 secs w the brogue kick. That shit would have way more impact then having like a 8 - 12 min semi competitive match mid show like they'll probably get otherwise.

Can anyone point me to a site that has the match lists for all the Quest Puro dvds?

I'm struggling with the 90's Tenryu set I just got that they put out. I need to put some names with the faces for my own sake.

I don't think there is one and I looked. I can send you match lists for the first two volumes (still working on the 3rd) when I get home tonight.

Can anyone point me to a site that has the match lists for all the Quest Puro dvds?

I'm struggling with the 90's Tenryu set I just got that they put out. I need to put some names with the faces for my own sake.

I don't think there is one and I looked. I can send you match lists for the first two volumes (still working on the 3rd) when I get home tonight.

Would be much appreciated, thanks.

Weren't they working in the AWA at the same time as they were in the NWA as the Minnesota Wrecking Crew II?

Only at the very end. I think the deal was Verne sent Enos and Bloom over as Minnesota Wrecking Crew II to provide a decent challenger to the Steiners for a few months (for whatever reason), while in return Verne got to book Flair vs. Pillman on Twin Wars 90 in St. Paul as his main event...a very-last-grasp at getting the AWA going in the Twin Cities again. Super Clash 4 in St. Paul drew abysmally, so the thought was bringing Flair in would draw a halfway decent house. I think it did get a decent house (4,000 was an attendance figure I thought I saw for that show a while back, but I've never verified if it was anywhere near accurate).

It was the last attempt at a serious AWA show, and with the AWA being literally dead in the water I don't think the braintrust at WCW saw any harm in it. I suspect they were looking to cherry-pick the DC after the AWA officially folded and this was a way to sell them on the area, to be honest. Of course, the DC ended up in the WWF as The Beverly Brothers (**sigh**)....

Also keep in mind that the AWA, by the time the DC went to WCW as Crew II, was only running maybe once a month in Rochester for their TV tapings, so it gave Enos and Bloom a chance to work.

Naylor needs to be the GM of WWE Flippys:

This could be interesting just to see who WWE would sign.

WWE is developing a new series for their fledgling Network that would exclusively feature Cruiserweight style wrestlers, PWInsider.com has confirmed.

As we noted several months ago in the PWInsider.com Elite section, WWE had been compiling a list of Cruiser-sized talent that they could bring in. The list was as part of the development of this potential series.

WWE has started to reach out to a number of independent talents in recent weeks. The belief among those I spoke with is that the company is looking for talents to be in the 200 lb. range.

When and how the show would be shot I haven't confirmed, but WWE is interested in the Sunlife University's gym facility in Florida, where they shot several test pilots. WWE officials loved the state of the art look of the building.

WWE is planning a Fall debut for their Network.

Credit: pwinsider.com

What in the hell is Naylor doing down there? I thought he was a pbp guy. They've got him doing ring announcing and now this stuff?

John

Being groomed as a heel as part of a new program where all PBP guys must be able to take after Cole? :)