Pro Wrestling Only

Holy Grails

BBscout

Can we roll back around and regroup on what shows we have good reason to think WWE has that we haven't seen yet. Boogie Jam was definitely one and now we have it. There are the other Crockett Cups, potentially KOTR 86 from the Harley tribute footage (but man I'd much rather they have 85). What else?

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

My new holy grail is the Minneapolis-specific local promos from WWF TV April 1985. Jesse Ventura challenged Hulk Hogan for the WWF Title on a big house show in Minneapolis, and had Prince's real-life celebrity bodyguard as a guest cornerman in his match. Jesse would always brag about his rock star friends on commentary and promos and it always came off as bullshit, but I can imagine Jesse's promos leading into a match where he actually does have a rock star bodyguard in his corner as being delightfully insufferable.

• 5 months later...
  • 1 month later...

Holy shit!!!  How the hell has the December 10, 1976 HBO special from the Atlanta City Auditorium (not the Omni), never surfaced???  Hosted by Gordon Solie and Vince McMahon.  I want to see this!!!       

Black Atlas (Tony) vs Scott Irwin
NWA World Heavyweight Title No Disqualification Match

That's interesting. I didnt know Steamer worked so high on the card pre-1977 and his big push in Crockett.

This is likely in the HBO archives since they did play a brief clip of it years ago on, I believe, that show where Bob Costas interviewed Vince and he flipped out. Not sure if WWE would also have it 

Am I correct that for such a 1988 newsletter sensation, the Eddie Gilbert/Willie B. Hert son angle isn't actually in circulation? I chatted with Bix about this and he's not entirely sure either, but I haven't seen it in goc's Continental footage or any other sources of Alabama wrestling. I've found a very brief highlight clip from a certain tape-trader in Western PA, though. 

35 minutes ago, Dale Wolfe said:

Theres a 7 disc set of Continental from 88 that I have never pulled the trigger on but i assumed it was on that? 

Where were you getting that set from is the best question...Someone here might know of it or have it and would know the score.

I went through my still unwatched Continental from the time frame but that week or two's worth of discs isn't in the pile.

25 minutes ago, khawk20 said:

Where were you getting that set from is the best question...Someone here might know of it or have it and would know the score.

I went through my still unwatched Continental from the time frame but that week or two's worth of discs isn't in the pile.

To be honest its a couple of years since i considered it- it was probably someone UK based shilling on facebook at the time, but this is the set

http://wrestlingepicenter.com/cart/product_info.php?products_id=864

No idea on reliability of the site but im sure it was meant to be a pretty exhaustive 2nd half of the year. Got me thinking about this again now

I couldn't find the original angle on Beau James' big 1986-89 set that he was selling, and he said he included everything that he could find. Now, I didn't watch the set comprehensively but I was on the lookout for it as I was ripping discs. It's also not on ArmstrongAlley's Continental playlist on Youtube.

Unless the Wrestling Epicenter list is out of order, it goes from 7/9/88 (Humongous vs. Intruder, Davis vs. Alan Martin) to 8/6/88 (Prichard vs. Mike Starr). The angle was on 7/30.

• 10 months later...

A new documentary aired on Michaels/Nash 93-96 on the network today. Disappointed to not see any clips of the Michaels-Jannetty title change from Albany that Nash debuted as bodyguard at, or the tag title change before SSlam 94. I think there was some backstage stuff that was new from Nash title win at MSG. 

Anything else new popped up lately? John Arezzi says in his new book that the guys that filmed all the ECW events - Ron Buffone’s crew - did film the AAA/ECW Oct95 Chicago show.

On 5/2/2021 at 1:38 PM, BBscout said:

Anything else new popped up lately? John Arezzi says in his new book that the guys that filmed all the ECW events - Ron Buffone’s crew - did film the AAA/ECW Oct95 Chicago show.

A CT area charity event held the day before the 1992 Rumble popped up the other day, and was discussed on the most recent Place To Be Nation podcast (covered the Jan 1992 MSG house show).

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/15/2020 at 7:30 PM, PeteF3 said:

Am I correct that for such a 1988 newsletter sensation, the Eddie Gilbert/Willie B. Hert son angle isn't actually in circulation? I chatted with Bix about this and he's not entirely sure either, but I haven't seen it in goc's Continental footage or any other sources of Alabama wrestling. I've found a very brief highlight clip from a certain tape-trader in Western PA, though. 

Weird. I used to have it on VHS years ago. Pez cut a emotional promo after if I remember right. 

• 9 months later...

Aug 85: Dick Murdoch went on Mid-South TV and addressed his former partner in the WWF, Adrian Adonis. He spoke about how Adonis would not show up for scheduled matches, much like some on the WWF roster were still doing.  Murdoch declared that Hulk Hogan was a "no good bar musician". He wrapped up by mentioning how Ric Flair had inflated himself to over 300 pounds thanks to steroids, but now he was clean, 70 pounds lighter and the best wrestler in the world.

• 7 months later...
On 2/18/2022 at 12:17 PM, BruiserBrody said:

Aug 85: Dick Murdoch went on Mid-South TV and addressed his former partner in the WWF, Adrian Adonis. He spoke about how Adonis would not show up for scheduled matches, much like some on the WWF roster were still doing.  Murdoch declared that Hulk Hogan was a "no good bar musician". He wrapped up by mentioning how Ric Flair had inflated himself to over 300 pounds thanks to steroids, but now he was clean, 70 pounds lighter and the best wrestler in the world.

That must have been Bill Watts' #1 pet peeve, when JYD left for the WWF the year before he would go on rants for like two TV shows in a row about how despicable it was for no showing the last couple shows he was advertised for before leaving.