Pro Wrestling Only

Holy Grails

BBscout

On a similar note, watching Finlay's shoot and he mentions having a singles match vs Fujiwara in NJPW in the early 80's as one of his standout matches in Japan. Guessing no footage of that exist tho which kinda sucks.

#1 match I wish footage existed of is still the Daisuke Ikeda & Takashi Sugiura vs Kintaro Kanemura & Tetsuhiro Kuroda 60 min Iron Man from 03.

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On a similar note, watching Finlay's shoot and he mentions having a singles match vs Fujiwara in NJPW in the early 80's as one of his standout matches in Japan. Guessing no footage of that exist tho which kinda sucks.

I would be interested in when Finlay toured NJPW. I don't see *any* listing of matches for him on Dan's 1974-83 NJPW listings (from an book/mag that had listings for every show) or his 1984-88 season sets. That would cover Fujiwara's time there.

Did Fit just never make TV in the 80s, or did he never tour?

John

Supposedly, Owen Hart did a few WWF matches in the spring of 1986 as jobber "Owen James". I believe they were all in places that never had TV cameras, so the best we could hope for is hand-held footage. Considering it was 1986 and video cameras back then were expensive and rare, I'd say it's next to impossible that we'll ever this.

I'm not a big Owen Hart fan, but it'd be interesting to see, nonetheless.

My personal favorite would be to see footage of the LOD-Money, Inc title swap from Denver, CO in February 1992. I don't think the WWF ever took cameras to their Denver stops, so it'd be the same situation as "Owen James". I've heard the LOD match dismissed as a "phantom swap that never happened", but I heard first-hand reports of the match; in February 1992; from people who went to the actual event.

Looking at Dan's list, which identifies gaijin on each tour, he didn't work for New Japan in 1982.

He does pop up in 1983 on one of Hisa's result pages:

http://www.puroresu.com/newjapan/results/nj198307summer.html

Only match with Fujiwara:

1983/07/14 Sapporo - Nakajima Sports Center

Niikura def Yamazaki

Eigen & Arakawa def Yokpalsan & BAEK?

Halcon def Black Cat

Kido & Fujiwara def Roberts & Finlay

Sakaguchi & Kengo Kimura def Adonis & Blair

Toguchi (DCOR) Rusher Kimura

Abdullah (DQ) Murdoch

Sakaguchi & *Kengo Kimura (10:53 small package) Adonis & *Blair

WWF Junior Heavyweight Title: Tiger Mask* (16:52 DQ) Kuniaki Kobayashi

Choshu & Hamaguchi def Fujinami & Maeda

Probably what he's thinking of.

A lot of matches with Tiger Mask on the series.

I'd have to see if one of the old Super Book's had a list of his tours to see if there was another chance of a singles matches between the two.

John

A singles match between Finlay and Fujiwara is pretty appealing but that tag looks pretty great too. Finlay vs Kido sounds promising and I don't remember Roberts every wrestling Fujiwara. Did they wrestle each other in UWF?

Fujiwara had a couple of tags against Roberts in UWF. He didn't have a singles match against Finlay in UWF but he did wrestle Marty Jones, Dalibar Singh and Keith Hayward. Finlay had singles matches against Maeda, Sayama and Yamazaki.

Did the Tommy Rich NWA Title win over Flair at the Omni ever get released in full?

Was this a Dusty finish or something? I've never heard of it before. Rich beat Harley Race for the title in 1981 in Augusta, GA, not the Omni. I watched it on YouTube, but only the closing minutes of the match exist IIRC.

• 1 year later...

They would have needed to be the equiv of handhelds. Neither event were TV tapings or events that were otherwise shot.

The first was in Springfield, MA... so it would have been easy enough to get a camera there from either Stamford or Albany (where they shot on Sunday). But they wouldn't have sent a multi-crew or a truck.

The LOD one wasn't close to tapings: Jan 27/28 tapings in Texas, and then they wouldn't tape again until Feb 17/18 in Florida. They did an MSG show on Jan 31, but that likely was a regular crew they used for MSG rather than the bigger production crews they used for tapings and PPV. So if they taped it, that like was a one camera as well. And if they promised the LOD they wouldn't tape it, they likely had to hide it well because Hawk was just the type of person to go batshit if he thought you crossed him. :)

John

It's tricky how much to take old WONs as gospel when it comes to some of this stuff.

For instance, the one from 92 which had:

Supposedly LOD had been promised there would be no cameras present for the switch (the WWF had a film crew tape the match although at press time we have no idea when or if it'll ever air--the WWF also taped the house show Bret Hart/Mountie title switch but it never aired on television) and some people were visibly unhappy about that being the case.

Also had the Buzz Sawyer obit which said:

Buzz trained several men, most notable of them current WCW assistant booker Magnum T.A., to become wrestlers.

Which is the damndest way to explain what happened there.

The Great Sasuke, Gran Hamada, and Masato Yakushiji vs Taka Michinoku, Terry Boy, and Dick Togo from Croydon 1997. Those who saw it live claim it was better than the Barely Legal match.

What match in 1997?

The only match I recall that took place in Croydon was the Great Sasuke, Hanzo Nakajima & Tiger Mask IV vs. SATO, Shiryu & Terry Boy match from Fairfields Halls on 2.6.96 which was taped and put on a commercial release called Michinoku Pro Great Britain Story Commercial Tape. It featured clips from the show at Croydon as well as Portsmouth.

I remember the pictures in Powerslam at the time, and wished I could of gone.

The Great Sasuke, Gran Hamada, and Masato Yakushiji vs Taka Michinoku, Terry Boy, and Dick Togo from Croydon 1997. Those who saw it live claim it was better than the Barely Legal match.

What match in 1997?

The only match I recall that took place in Croydon was the Great Sasuke, Hanzo Nakajima & Tiger Mask IV vs. SATO, Shiryu & Terry Boy match from Fairfields Halls on 2.6.96 which was taped and put on a commercial release called Michinoku Pro Great Britain Story Commercial Tape. It featured clips from the show at Croydon as well as Portsmouth.

I remember the pictures in Powerslam at the time, and wished I could of gone.

Was a great show. Lot of fun.