Holy Grails

BBscout

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I could have sworn I saw clips of Rogers/Flair years ago with someone talking over it on a territory era show.

Were there clips of it on the NWA doc release a while back? There was a section of footage shot by one guy from ringside that was included from that era.

Don't know, but I'm pretty sure I saw the clip before any doc was released.

During the 90s there seemed to be quite a few House Show title changes like HBK winning the IC belt, The 3 Money Inc/Steiners matches, LOD losing the tag belts, to a bunch of Quebecers matches against MOM & Kid & Jannetty.

Im suprised by now they arent available on the network. Im presuming WWE must have taped them.

That was the thinking for a while because it was last minute, but here's the card per Graham's site:

WWF @ Denver, CO - Coliseum - February 7, 1992 (4,500)
The original line-up included a Bossman / Santana vs. Dibiase / IRS match and the LOD defending the tag titles against the Natural Disasters but was changed at the last minute by WWF President Jack Tunney, claiming the Disasters had received enough title shots
Repo Man pinned Virgil with his feet on the ropes
The Big Bossman & Tito Santana defeated the Natural Disasters when Bossman pinned Earthquake
The Warlord pinned Chris Walker
Shawn Michaels pinned Jimmy Snuka
The Mountie pinned Jim Brunzell (sub. for Kerry Von Erich)
Ted Dibiase (w/ Sensational Sherri) & IRS defeated WWF Tag Team Champions the Legion of Doom to win the titles at 11:49 when Dibiase pinned Road Warrior Hawk after the Natural Disasters came ringside and Typhoon hit Hawk with a steel chair while he prepared to hit the Doomsday Device on Dibiase as Sherri distracted the referee
WWF World Champion Ric Flair defeated WWF IC Champion Roddy Piper via disqualification after Piper was caught using a chair which Flair had brought into the ring while the referee was knocked down; both titles were at stake in the match

The match was taped, much to LOD's consternation as they requested it not be. But it never aired--because with the LOD getting suspended and the plans for WM8 changing (originally LOD/Disasters in a no-DQ match and Money Inc. vs. Slaughter/Duggan, which I believe was reported in the Magazine), the finish was unusable as it was.

So why were Slaughter-Duggan not given the title shot? Were the Natural Disasters considered such huge stars that they just HAD to get them on Wrestlemania even if that meant a face turn? Or was the face turn just a spur of the moment Vince thing?

I think the idea was they'd do Disasters v. LOD and Money Inc v. Slaughter/Duggan. When LOD got suspended and Vince wasn't sure he'd have them, they turned the Disasters (likely just to even up the sides) and I guess decided it made more sense to give them the shot to follow up the turn.

LOD were suspended (or at least Hawk was) around the same time as the title change--I would say that was part of it, but they were there at WM8 to do an interview anyway, so who knows.

At the time I was expecting the Disasters to take the belts at the Rumble. Ive probably not seen the match since it originally aired but didn't LOD get dominated in that match pretty badly?

Yeah they definitely were made to look lucky to escape with the titles. Vince really killed them off with that feud. The Natural Disasters feud was a horrid mistake but given their complaining and wanting to go to Japan from early 91 on according to Observers at the time, I'm thinking it might not have been a mistake, it might have been deliberate payback for being difficult.

Thanks Rah. You've made my day. :D

I'm shocked at how active Kerry was here. The few descriptions I'd read of this encounter made it seem like he basically stood in the ring while Adias bumped for him. Admittedly these descriptions were by Irv Muchnick and Scott Keith, not exactly the most unbiased or credible sources.

Still holding thumbs on the Sangre Chicana vs El Faraon apuesta.

Seems the highlight video I have is the only existence of that match on tape. :(

I've never seen the 1978 Funks vs Sheik and Abdullah. Seen the 77 one and two 79 ones though That's my most wanted match right now.

JVK has it (or has seen it, at least). It's available.

• 1 month later...

Kerry Von Erich vs. Brian Adias (Fort Worth 2-2-87)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yX-H8g4bwCU

46:10

Nothing wrong with that match at all. If I watched it without Mercer and didn't know it was his comeback match, I'm not sure I'd have known there was anything seriously wrong with his foot. The only hiccup was the mistimed punch at the finish, and that had nothing to do with his foot.