Holy Grails

BBscout

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Tried to go for ones where it's actually kind of surprising that finding them has been fruitless so far.

MS-1 vs El Dandy, January 20 1989 (the show from the week before is in circulation but not this one)

Lizmark vs El Satanico, February 17 1989 (Friday Coliseo show so I imagine this was taped)

El Satanico vs Fabuloso Blondy, April 7 1989 (we've got matches from the week before and from two weeks after, look at how much TV time Satanico got this year)

El Dandy vs El Satanico, May 5 1989 (65-85% sure of the date, shows from the week before and week after are easy to find)

Lizmark vs El Satanico, July 21 1989 (from the same show as this match, not sure why this one seems to be lost, boy did they love running this matchup)

Emilio Charles Jr. vs El Satanico, June 1 1993 (Satanico's last match before jumping, minis match from this show aired on TV so cameras were at least in the arena)

Ciclon Ramirez vs El Felino, June 18 1993 (another one where the previous and following shows are easy to get but this one isn't, made this list so SOMEONE has to have seen it)

Dr. Wagner Jr. vs El Dandy, June 29 1993 (similar deal to the Emilio Charles match above)

Jerry Estrada vs Heavy Metal, April 26 1994 (other matches from this show were shown in full but all I can find of the main event is about five minutes of highlights)

Mascara Sagrada vs Black Cat, May 15 1994 (same deal as the match above)

Jaque Mate vs La Fiera, October 28 1994 (I admit that probably no one else cares about unearthing this one)

El Felino vs Mascara Magica, May 21 1996 (another one where there are filmed matches from this show but no trace of this one)

A year ago I would have had Pirata Morgan vs MS-1 from 1991 on this list, but that one made its way to Youtube fairly recently, proving that there's still hope for these too. It's funny that 1989 is thought of as such a great year for the EMLL even with all of these matches missing.

• 1 month later...

Ciclon Ramirez vs El Felino, June 18 1993 (another one where the previous and following shows are easy to get but this one isn't, made this list so SOMEONE has to have seen it)

El Felino vs Mascara Magica, May 21 1996 (another one where there are filmed matches from this show but no trace of this one)

I think it's just from a year end show, but Paul Herzog included that Felino/Ciclon Ramirez match on his lucha comp in the early 90's and described it as better than their match in May. I don't know if it's accurate, but K and D's online match listings have that Felino/Magica match airing, so it seems like it should be out there some where.

• 1 month later...

There's a handheld card with a Dyet tag on it somewhere, too. Those might be his only two matches on tape. (For those who don't know Dyet was a Colorado football player who became a protege of Steve Williams--he worked a tour or two for AJPW and then quit the business. I remember on BTS they talked about somebody working with Doc on Sportatorium cards who also fit that description.)

Because I'm an idiot, I actually called Brian Dyet's office (he works for University of Colorado) and was politely sent to his voice mail after - believably - being told he was not in that day. I left him a nice message with a request for an interview, genuinely curious about his experience on tour with AJPW. It was 20 years ago and he likely doesn't talk about it tons, but I'm still optimistic for a call back.

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

A major holy grail of mine has just surfaced, or at least partial footage of it. Spiros Arion's heel turn on Chief Jay Strongbow from, I think, December 1974, which led to one of the all-time biggest feuds in the WWWF, Sammartino vs Arion. Footage was apparently filmed off TV with an 8mm camera

https://www.facebook.com/TommygunVIdeo/videos/10156317301190030/

• 3 weeks later...

After looking at Piper results before he left NWA, check these possible matches

Double Indian Strap: Roddy Piper & Wahoo McDaniel defeat Dick Slater & Greg Valentine 8/21/83

Dog Collar Cage: Roddy Piper defeats Buzz Sawyer 8/23/83

Dog Fight: Roddy Piper defeats Buzz Sawyer 10/1/83

Plus several post Starrcade Dog Collar rematches with Valentine