Pro Wrestling Only

[1994-05-01-NJPW-Wrestling Dontaku] Sting vs Rick Rude

Loss

• 1 month later...

Last few minutes. Really funny to see how the Japanese crowd reacts to Sting and Rude not working anything resembling a Japan-style match. It seems like they should have done a little more than they did when in Rome. Rude wins with a kneedrop off the top rope, and his music is the infinitely superior 1992 pre-Slam Jam track!

Rude walks out without a problem, so I'm not sure exactly when he got the injury that made this his last match.

The injury (watch Rude's landing): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2EbWHo2is9I

The one thing that always struck me about this match and something that Meltzer kept asking in the WONs at the time: Who the hell was Lady Love and why did he have a Japan-only valet?

Also, did I miss the posts or are the Rude-Hase title switches not on the yearbook?

I was looking closely to try see the injury here but that youtube footage made me cringe. Awful bump to have to take. Pretty sad actually. I was trying to figure out too who the valet with Rude was. Japanese audiences didn't like sport entertainment booking here.

The Japanese were confused here. I suppose Rude had a nice little last walk up the ramp after winning a big title. It's unfortunate that he couldn't get back in the ring like he was trying to do before he died. Important footage here.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

After watching Rude for the last year and a half, I can't say I'll miss him that much on WCW rings. He just wasn't the same worker he was in 1992. I really wonder how good he would have been in 1999 if he had made his comeback. Still, pretty sad to see a career end on a really bad injury. The bump is awful.

• 1 year later...

Total American-style match, with Rude's tights getting pulled down and doing his comedic atomic drop selling. And a REF BUMP. And Rude using his valet (whoever she is-- looks like Marisa Tomei but I suspect it's not her) as a shield! Where AM I?? Crowd is reacting to all the right things, I have to admit that. Sting kicks out of a belt shot but Rude executes a piledriver and kneedrop off the top to regain the NWA title. No sign of a major injury from the footage we see, though Rude certainly seems to be in pain after the match. God speed, Rick--his work fell off badly but just as with his buddy Mr. Perfect in the WWF, I think the promotion is worse off without him. Sadly things won't end well for either man.

• paul sosnowski changed the title to [1994-05-01-NJPW-Wrestling Dontaku] Sting vs Rick Rude