Pro Wrestling Only

Fact or Fiction?

Guest Alfdogg

Guest Alfdogg

Let's see how well this gets over. Post a rumor that you've heard about wrestling, whether it be previously scheduled main events, guys refusing to job, whatever, and we'll find out if it's fact or fiction in this thread. I'll start:

At Survivor Series '02, HHH was supposed to injure Shawn Michaels in storyline, and Edge would jump to RAW, take his place in the EC and win the title.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that was being discussed in the weeks leading up to the show, but I don't know if it was ever the "plan". I'm sure it was something WWE entertained at one point or another.

This type of thread is TAILOR MADE for HTQ.

Fact or fiction:

Bret Hart wanted to lose the Owen Hart tribute match against Chris Benoit. He also wanted to go an hour on TV instead of just 30 minutes.

He said that in his shoot interview, and while Bret at times is a mark for himself, I find it hard to believe he'd lie about wanting to put Benoit over. I could see him wanting an hour too.

Fact or fiction:

Chris Jericho and Triple H get along these days.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Yes, Bret did want to Benoit to beat him. In fact, pretty much everyone wanted Benoit to win, and all for the same reasons Bret wanted him to win. The only people who wanted Bret to win, however, were those who had the final say.

I'm sure Jericho and Hunter are cordial enough to each other. As for whether 'get along' translates into 'friends', that's another matter.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

IThis type of thread is TAILOR MADE for HTQ.

Yes it is. Post more people. This brings back memories of the awesome WCW thread over on TSM. Man, that thread was tons of fun.

Guest TheShawshankRudotion

The Ultimate Warrior died. Obviously not true, but I wanna know how this rumour came about. I mean, I lived in Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia growing up and my friends and I speculated whether or not he was dead... and similar convos happened around the world. I believe "The tassles cut off his circulation and he died" was a popular theory.

I'm almost 100% sure the "Warrior is dead" thing started when Kerry Von Erich died. His "Texas Tornado" getup was similar to Warrior's with the tassels and I guess Kerry and Warrior look similar to the non-fan that people heard that the WWF guy who wore tassels was dead and assumed it was Warror.

*on Edit* it also didn't help that Warrior dyed his hair a lighter shade and changed up his facepaint style when he came back which only cemented the belief that it wasn't the same guy because he "didn't look like the old Warrior".

Guest Alfdogg

Elizabeth was a ring rat before meeting Savage.

Warrior was supposed to win the title at SSlam 92, going heel and being the one who "sold out" to Flair & Perfect.

Guest The Metal Maniac

I lived in Cole Harbour, Nova Scotia

You poor soul.

Anyway, something I've been wondering recently...in HitC II, was the cage breaking planned or not?

It seems to me that when Foley or Taker talk about the match, they talk like they didn't know it was going to break, but if it wasn't supposed to break, what the fuck were they gonna do? I can't imagine actually booking the match in such a way that would require them to climb up the cage, then up again, then down. It just seems really odd.

And as Foley himself has said, if he took that chokeslam properly, he'd have been beyond fucked. So, did they plan for it to break or not?

I dunno, this may be a dumb question, but I'm really not sure.

Guest The Metal Maniac

Is that why the cage seemed to be in really crappy shape? Like, there's one point where they're walking on the cage and you can see a hole open up in it.

I'm sure Jericho and Hunter are cordial enough to each other. As for whether 'get along' translates into 'friends', that's another matter.

For what it's worth, Hunter on Off The Record (here in Canada) claimed that "Jericho gave me a free copy of his new CD."

Fact or fiction: Ted Dibiase was briefly WWF champion at house shows in 1988 (before Jack Tunney's announcement of the title vacancy and WrestleMania tournament).

Is that why the cage seemed to be in really crappy shape? Like, there's one point where they're walking on the cage and you can see a hole open up in it.

Yes. They designed it to eventually give way, but not for Foley to go through it so easily. It's a good thing, as Mick himself has pointed out, that Taker got almost no elevation on that chokeslam. Foley didn't even get one of his feet off the ground.

Guest treble

Fact or Fiction: There's been more than one wrestler who's portrayed the Undertaker (not including the Dibiase angle for that match at SummerSlam that year).

Guest Bruiser Chong

Fact or Fiction: There's been more than one wrestler who's portrayed the Undertaker (not including the Dibiase angle for that match at SummerSlam that year).

There's always been just one Undertaker. I remember the rumors of that starting up when he got all of the tattoos.

And Dibiase was indeed WWF champion for a brief clip before Tunney ruled it vacant. There was a match on tape where he was even introduced as the WWF champion.

Guest treble

You'd be surprised how many people around here were 100%, completely, bet-their-life-on-it sure that there had been more than one Undertaker. It was fun trying to tell them that they were wrong.

'NO, LOOK AT HIS HAIR!! IT USED TO BE CURLY NOW IT'S NOT!!'

Guest The Metal Maniac

Yeah, I think the multiple Undertaker rumours came from his tattoos and the fact that his hair seemed to get less and less red as time progressed. Like, you used to be able to tell that he has red hair; now, he must dye it or something. Also, when he wore a mask for a short bit, I bet that helped the rumors spread.

I remember looking very closely at pictures of the Undertaker to prove it was the same guy; when he first came in, he had like, one tattoo of a red-haired zombie/skeleton thing on his upper left(?) forearm, so I remember looking specifically for that tattoo; I found it too.

Yeah, I was such an Undertaker mark.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

In order:

The "Warrior died" rumors stem from during his WWF Title reign, and WWF kept constantly changing his look in an attempt to find some look that would catch on with the fans. As was pointed out, his hair color changed, his face paint changed; they even changed the color of the WWF Title belt. Nothing worked.

Elizabeth was a ring rat before meeting Savage.

Warrior was not going to win the WWF Title at SummerSlam 1992

The WCW/USWA deal was going to see Luger, as WCW Champion, challenge all other champions. Lawler, as USWA Champion, would be the only one to accept. This would see a series of Luger v Lawler matches to determine the 'real' World Champion. The deal fell apart when Jerry Jarrett and Lawler pulled out, claiming that Paul E Dangerously had leaked out word of the deal, and they wanted it secret. However, pretty much nobody buys that, and feel that was just a cover reason, and the real reason was because they realised that Lawler was going to come out as the loser in the program, and they didn't want that to happen.

The Foley chokeslam through the cage was planned.

Ted DiBiase was announced as WWF Champion, at least via on-screen graphic, the day after the Twin Referee angle.

More than one person has been The Undertaker, though not officially. When Undertaker 'rose to the heavens' at the Rumble in 1994, it was obviously not him being pulled up by wires.

Guest Some Guy

I think it was Marty Jannety beign pulled up to the ceiling.

I don't get the whole "there have been more than one Undertaker" thing. Unless you watched in 1990 and then didn't see him again unitl 2000, I don't see why people would think that. He grew his hair, started wearinng more make up, changed his clothes (from gray to purple to all black), and got a bunch of tattoos, people do can do that over the course of ten years.

To me this would be like saying that there were two Scott Steiners because he cut and dyed his hair, grew a goatee, and got even more jacked up.

Fact or Fiction: WM 7 was moved from the Sports Arena because of poor ticket sales, rather than bomb threats.

In Hogan's book he says that he never heard anything like that. :)

Guest Bruiser Chong

That was such a time of BS for the ailing company. I recall Gorilla stating halfway through the show that it was the most watched 'Mania in history. Uh huh.