Pro Wrestling Only

Fact or Fiction?

Guest Alfdogg

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is from the site preview, but I'll look at the hard copy of what was in the Observer when I get home:

*Elimination chamber with Chris Jericho, Bill Goldberg, Kevin Nash, HHH, Shawn Michaels and Randy Orton for Raw title. Do you realize they haven't even gone over the rules of this match in detail, assuming everyone saw the match last year? You've got an injured HHH, Nash and Goldberg, who they don't trust, plus Orton, who has never been in a match anywhere near this level (this is a huge match for him). In other words, it's time for Jericho and Michaels to save the show. And they probably will. I'm guessing the finish depends on how well HHH feels. If he can return to the ring in two weeks, I'm guessing he goes over, or Goldberg does. If he can't, then Jericho makes the most sense.

I believe he mentioned it in the 08/11/03 Observer, but I'm not sure about that date. It was the week he jobbed to RVD and got powerbombed by Kevin Nash and challenged him to the hair v hair match all in the same night. I believe the show was in Ottowa.

Some corrections/verifications:

- The RAW show where RVD/Jericho happened on August 4, 2003. Show was in Vancouver, not Ottawa. I would've hated to be at that show, that's for sure (I'm located in Ottawa).

I highly doubt Ottawa's going to get a TV taping for quite a long time. One, the WWE hasn't thought of one since we only drew 3,000 at a house show in July 2002, headlined by Kurt Angle vs. Edge, that had no-shows by Rock, HHH, Hogan, and Jericho. I missed a May 2003 house show because I was moving the weekend it happened, but it was the one headlined by HHH and Nash that drew the infamous HORRID reviews. I'm glad I missed it. I caught a show in November that year that had a six man tag (Taker/Benoit/Angle vs. Show/Lesnar/Train, with Lesnar running away from Taker the WHOLE time). Only 1500 people went to that, and hated the show. There was another show last November, but I passed. There's also the problem that Ottawa's stuck between Toronto and Montreal, two favourable WWE markets, so there's the logic that Ottawa people who want to go to shows will just make the trip to either place.

Guest Some Guy
I demand to see the pictures of this awesome encounter and after reading your write up on the house show match I now must go find a copy of Judgment Day 03 so that I the the entire HHH/Nash PPV trilogy on DVD to watch on a non-stop loop.

• 5 weeks later...

*bumping this because I have some questions, specifically for HTQ*

Did Kevin Nash put up a stink about jobbing to Bret Hart at Survivor Series 1995? And is it true that Vince chewed Nash out after the 10/95 In Your House? Did that play a part in the decision to shift to Bret or was that planned out in advance?

Did Bret Hart voice displeasure over jobbing to Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania XII?

What was Jim Cornette's position toward Shawn Michaels as the top guy while he was booking? Did they ever have any major disagreements?

Is it true that Bret Hart pushed for Owen and Davey Boy not to drop the tag titles to Vader and Mankind at Wrestlemania XIII?

Is it true that Bret Hart had a clause in his WWF contract that Owen had to remain employed as long as he was in the company?

Is it true that Randy Savage had the same deal with WCW regarding Lanny Poffo?

Was Goldberg's title reign in WCW ever booked to end before it actually did end, with plans changing at the last minute?

What were the circumstances that led to Ric Flair being fired as head booker in 1990 in WCW?

Did Sting and Bill Watts have heat with each other when Watts was running WCW?

Is it true that there were major problems between Flair/Piper and Hall/Nash? If so, what were some of the specific incidents that happened? Time frame is WCW 1997.

Is it true that Chris Kanyon was in the doghouse in WCW in February of 2000 for confronting Hulk Hogan backstage about his comments directed toward Billy Kidman?

Evan Karagias had a horrible rep among the wrestlers in WCW. What were some of the specific things that caused that? Is it also true that he used to follow Kevin Nash around and throw huge compliments at him the whole time?

Did Austin actually refuse to job to HHH at Summerslam '99 or was Foley's book more accurate on that subject? And was there heat between Austin and HHH if that was the case?

Is it true that the segment on Nitro in 1998 where Hogan and Rodman came out during a Wolfpak interview and cut the sound off on Kevin Nash's mic was unscripted, and that Nash was furious?

That's probably enough for now.

:)

I'd like to add one, was Chris Benoit really supposed to win the Main Event of Uncensored 97? Supposedly Hogan put a stop to it when he found out a lot of press was going to be there for Rodman. I can't remember if that was one of Scott Keith's gems or not

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Did Kevin Nash put up a stink about jobbing to Bret Hart at Survivor Series 1995?

Not that I know of. I don't think The Clique were that ticked off about it, because they knew Shawn was getting the belt anyway.

And is it true that Vince chewed Nash out after the 10/95 In Your House? Did that play a part in the decision to shift to Bret or was that planned out in advance?

I don't think he chewed Nash out, and I don't think it played that a part in the decision to put the belt on Bret, given that Bret being on commentary led to their pull apart that led to their title match. That said, it probably assured Vince that Diesel was a total bomb.

Did Bret Hart voice displeasure over jobbing to Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania XII?

He wasn't really vocal about his dislike for having to job to Shawn, but he made it known to people that he didn't think Shawn was mature enough to be given the top spot. He also didn't think Shawn would work out as champion, but he hoped that he did anyway. At this point in time, Bret was only mildly irritated by Shawn, and vice versa.

What was Jim Cornette's position toward Shawn Michaels as the top guy while he was booking? Did they ever have any major disagreements?

Cornette said in his 2000 Shoot that he felt Shawn was the best wrestler of the 90's, but that his maturity never came close to matching his ability. They had a shouting match one time at a house show when Shawn was meant to superkick Cornette after a match, but Cornette bumped too soon, and in the back, Shawn went ballistic, claiming Cornette had double crossed him.

Is it true that Bret Hart pushed for Owen and Davey Boy not to drop the tag titles to Vader and Mankind at Wrestlemania XIII?

Not that I know of. It would have made more sense for them to keep the belts as it is, and have Vader and Mankind feud off of not winning the belts, with one blaming the other.

Is it true that Bret Hart had a clause in his WWF contract that Owen had to remain employed as long as he was in the company?

I can't say for sure, but I highly doubt it.

Is it true that Randy Savage had the same deal with WCW regarding Lanny Poffo?

See above. That being said, I'm sure in both cases Vince and Eric respectively were aware of the benefits in not pissing off either guy.

Was Goldberg's title reign in WCW ever booked to end before it actually did end, with plans changing at the last minute?

The only change made to Goldberg losing the belt was that it wound up being to Nash rather than Hogan. It was probably always going to be at Starrcade, given how big Starrcade was the previous year.

What were the circumstances that led to Ric Flair being fired as head booker in 1990 in WCW?

Flair quit the position over getting heat due to business not getting as good as was hoped.

Did Sting and Bill Watts have heat with each other when Watts was running WCW?

I think the only person who didn't have heat with Bill Watts was Eric, and even that's doubtful.

Is it true that there were major problems between Flair/Piper and Hall/Nash? If so, what were some of the specific incidents that happened? Time frame is WCW 1997.

The Nitro or two before GAB 1997, they had a tag match, and during the match there were problems between the two over Nash feeling that Piper wasn't selling well for him, while Piper later said he was just setting him the comeback for Nash. After Nitro, Nash confronted Piper in his locker room, and piefaced Piper's bodyguard out of the way, (I think his name was Craig O'Malley or something), and the two had words, but that was it. Funnily enough, this happened the same night as Bret and Shawn's locker room fight before Raw.

Is it true that Chris Kanyon was in the doghouse in WCW in February of 2000 for confronting Hulk Hogan backstage about his comments directed toward Billy Kidman?

I don't think he confronted Hogan about it, but he made it clear he wasn't happy with what Hogan said.

Evan Karagias had a horrible rep among the wrestlers in WCW. What were some of the specific things that caused that?

The fact that he absolutely sucked the big one and was getting a push all the same. Watch his match with Disco at Mayhem '99, and watch in awe as Evan blows just about every spot they try.

Is it also true that he used to follow Kevin Nash around and throw huge compliments at him the whole time?

Don't know about that one, but I wouldn't be surprised.

Did Austin actually refuse to job to HHH at Summerslam '99 or was Foley's book more accurate on that subject? And was there heat between Austin and HHH if that was the case?

Austin never refused to job to HHH at Summerslam '99. He had agreed to do the job long before the event. The only reason Foley was added was because Austin was banged up and they didn't feel that he and HHH could have the expected classic match, and wanted Foley to carry the load.

Is it true that the segment on Nitro in 1998 where Hogan and Rodman came out during a Wolfpak interview and cut the sound off on Kevin Nash's mic was unscripted, and that Nash was furious?

Don't know on that one, but as a bonus fact, Nash didn't know that Sting was coming back in the Black and White that year, and was legit mad, feeling that Hogan was trying to undermine the Wolfpac. Most found that very ironic, given that Nash constantly booked the Horseman to look like fools.

I'd like to add one, was Chris Benoit really supposed to win the Main Event of Uncensored 97? Supposedly Hogan put a stop to it when he found out a lot of press was going to be there for Rodman. I can't remember if that was one of Scott Keith's gems or not

Complete crap. Never meant to happen.

What was the exact deal with Terry Funk and Kevin Nash in WCW in 2000? I know Nash tried to humiliate him in a promo to get over with the locker room by breaking the script, but was Funk's potato shot that gave Nash a concussion later that night a receipt?

Did Nash also stop the storyline with the Filthy Animals mid-stream?

Thanks for answering these.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

What was the exact deal with Terry Funk and Kevin Nash in WCW in 2000? I know Nash tried to humiliate him in a promo to get over with the locker room by breaking the script, but was Funk's potato shot that gave Nash a concussion later that night a receipt?

The deal was simply that; Big Lazy wanted to get over with the other wrestlers by showing Funk up. I don't believe Funk's potato shot was a receipt, because Funk has always said he didn't care about getting shown up, he was just there to take their money.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

Did Nash also stop the storyline with the Filthy Animals mid-stream?

Thanks for answering these.

At what point in time did this happen ? So much went on during Big Lazy's reign of destruction, it's hard to keep track.

He was doing a mini-program with Konnan, Rey and Juvi in spring of 2000 during the Russo era.

Was the Horsemen parody something that was Nash's idea? Flair said in his book that Nash was only doing his job and that Terry Taylor booked it, but HHH oversaw that project, so I wasn't sure if that was accurate.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

He was doing a mini-program with Konnan, Rey and Juvi in spring of 2000 during the Russo era.

Was the Horsemen parody something that was Nash's idea? Flair said in his book that Nash was only doing his job and that Terry Taylor booked it, but HHH oversaw that project, so I wasn't sure if that was accurate.

It was probably dropped because of Russo or something. Considering Nash was making the FA look like jokes at all turns, it's not likely he'd scrap the angle.

I believe the Horseman parody was a Nash idea. It's not surprising that Flair thinks it was Taylor's idea, because it took a long time after WCW folded for Flair to fully realise that Nash, with additional egging on from Luger, was booking him in stupid angles to run him off.

About Undertaker's teardrop tatoo -- I'd have to take a look at it but I know a teardrop tatoo around the eye means that you've killed someone. I learnt that from Kung Fu The Legend Continues.

Why does the WWF "refuse" to acknowledge Savage's history with them? Is that story about Savage and Stephanie have any merit at all? Something seeminly big had to happen betweem Savage and the WWF because Savage despite being a top name is never protrayed as such by the WWE.

Yeah, he never signed longer than a 12-month contract during the Monday Night Wars, and they never even showed so much as a passing interest in him at the end of every year when his contract expired. In 1999, he actually quit WCW, and they made it clear publicly and privately that there was no interest in Randy Savage whatsoever. Rock wanted to do a program with him for Wrestlemania at one point and was even told absolutely not. I guess they don't think they can make money with him like they did Hogan, and they probably still resent him for jumping to WCW when he did, even though he got Vince's blessing to do it and wasn't being used anymore.

Guest Alfdogg

I was going to bump this myself, actually.

I forget where I read this, but I remember reading that Bischoff wasn't going to pick up Bret after Montreal because he thought it was a work, and Rick Rude explained to Bischoff that it was actually a shoot, thus saving Bret's job.

Guest Hunter's Torn Quad

I forget where I read this, but I remember reading that Bischoff wasn't going to pick up Bret after Montreal because he thought it was a work, and Rick Rude explained to Bischoff that it was actually a shoot, thus saving Bret's job.

Falsehood.