Pro Wrestling Only

Fact or Fiction?

Guest Alfdogg

I think it was an inside joke, or maybe even a rib on Pat to have the phantom tourney take place in Rio since it's known for its flamboyant (not necessarily gay) parades. I don't think Pat ever hid who he was, and we all know what most of the business (especially the McMahons) think of homosexuals.

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest teke184

I think it was an inside joke, or maybe even a rib on Pat to have the phantom tourney take place in Rio since it's known for its flamboyant (not necessarily gay) parades. I don't think Pat ever hid who he was, and we all know what most of the business (especially the McMahons) think of homosexuals.

IIRC, Rio was used because that was the same place as the mythical Rogers tournament win.

Rio was chosen as the kayfabe location for the Rogers tournament as it was a play off of the name of a famous wrestler at the time, Argentina Rocca.

For whatever reason, Vince Sr. couldn't get Rocca to do what he wanted (which was to take what became Bruno's spot, I think), so he created the fictional tournament in Rio, Brazil, which is close to the country of Argentina.

• 1 month later...
Guest Alfdogg

BUMP

Fact or Fiction: Bret vetoed Vader/Mankind winning the tag titles at WM13. I wanted an answer for this before I brought it up in the other thread.

Guest teke184

True.

Bret did it because he felt, correctly, that the tag titles could be a huge part of the US vs. Canada feud if they were kept on Owen and Davey.

Bret went up to Vader and explained this and, since Bret was upfront and the opinion was solid, booking-wise, he accepted it without a problem.

Vader appreciated Bret doing that honestly, as opposed to Shawn, who had thrown back-room hissy fits to get out of losing the WWF title to Vader.