Pro Wrestling Only
ohtani's jacket

The Beginner's Guide To British Wrestling

I just found out what "seconds away, round X" means. I thought the ring announcer was letting the audience know that the beginning of the round was only seconds away, but he was actually instructing the ringside seconds to leave the ring. That's from boxing, right?

I can't say for certain, but modern boxing does utilize a warning buzzer for that purpose.

I just found out what "seconds away, round X" means. I thought the ring announcer was letting the audience know that the beginning of the round was only seconds away, but he was actually instructing the ringside seconds to leave the ring. That's from boxing, right?

JR is a lot better at doing podcasts than I am but we were thinking of doing a big British Wrestling project and calling it "Seconds Away" at some point (after WoS was so underrepresented in GWE). I just have too much going on all the time, unfortunately.

Hope nobody minds a cheeky plug, but I've now added all the YouTube videos I could find to the match listings on itvwrestling.co.uk. They go back to 1970, though as you'd expect, the later years are closer to complete.

I should stress that I've simply embedded the videos and they aren't actually hosted on my site -- 99% of them have been uploaded by other people.

If anyone spots a video that's been deleted, or one that's not the listed match, please do let me know. I've tried to match them up as best as I could, and can probably now recognise most of the venues at a glance!

Can anyone confirm the date of this match? I've seen it listed on YouTube as 12/6/80 but that's not on the listings.

Could it be December 19th 1981 (Oldham, taped 18/11/81)?

Does anyone know the date for this match by looking at/watching it?

Anyone know where I can find Johnny Saint vs Steve Grey from 01/28/1980? I found a few between them on youtube but I couldn't easily sort the date.

Also, anyone know where I can find Mick McManus vs. Jackie Pallo... or can I? I am - obviously - sort of diving in the deep end here and I am fuzzy on if and how much of this mach is available. I thought it was all of it, but it didn't come up on some quick searches.

Many apologies if any of this is super easy and I just missed it.

Anyone know where I can find Johnny Saint vs Steve Grey from 01/28/1980? I found a few between them on youtube but I couldn't easily sort the date.

It's on youtube. The match is dated 2/2/80 on there though because that was the date it aired, although was taped in Reading on 1/28.

It's on youtube. The match is dated 2/2/80 on there though because that was the date it aired, although was taped in Reading on 1/28.

much appreciated

It's from 4/19/78 in Croydon (originally aired 5/6/78).

There were three Breaks/Grey matches that aired on TWC (original air dates for the three are 5/6/78, 7/7/79 and 5/16/81).

The following website will help you out http://itvwrestling.co.uk/

Just after I worked out which Grey/Breaks match it was, I referenced to get the date it was taped and found that they've now added a ton of youtube links.

It's from 4/19/78 in Croydon (originally aired 5/6/78).

There were three Breaks/Grey matches that aired on TWC (original air dates for the three are 5/6/78, 7/7/79 and 5/16/81).

The following website will help you out http://itvwrestling.co.uk/

Just after I worked out which Grey/Breaks match it was, I referenced to get the date it was taped and found that they've now added a ton of youtube links.

Fantastic. Thanks a ton. This is super helpful.

Also, anyone know where I can find Mick McManus vs. Jackie Pallo... or can I? I am - obviously - sort of diving in the deep end here and I am fuzzy on if and how much of this mach is available. I thought it was all of it, but it didn't come up on some quick searches.

The full tape of the broadcast exists -- the people behind one of the wrestler-only reunions paid for ITV to find it in their film archives and digitise it. That only covered showing it at the reunion and not making any copies. So to put it vaguely, anyone who does now have a copy will likely be under strict instructions not to pass it on, and if they do, it will be on the same basis.

ITV having digitised it meant it was available to licence for the BBC Timeshift documentary on wrestling a few years back which used clips from it.

The full tape of the broadcast exists -- the people behind one of the wrestler-only reunions paid for ITV to find it in their film archives and digitise it. That only covered showing it at the reunion and not making any copies. So to put it vaguely, anyone who does now have a copy will likely be under strict instructions not to pass it on, and if they do, it will be on the same basis.

ITV having digitised it meant it was available to licence for the BBC Timeshift documentary on wrestling a few years back which used clips from it.

Ahhh. Understood. Well maybe one day I will luck into seeing it. Thanks for the info.

These are actually better than full episodes!

They are from the later days of The Wrestling Channel showing old ITV footage. When the channel started, they got me to pick out matches to make themed episodes (like 'Hart Family in UK' or 'Dynamite vs Rocco'.) That got harder and harder as the archive records were a total mess with no dates or run times for the shows, so it was difficult to fit them in the slot, even with the flexibility The Wrestling Channel had.

Eventually they just started dubbing  random tapes and sending them over. In a lot of cases what they sent was effectively a copy of the master tape of the evening's recording that would then be cut down as necessary to fit the 45 minute slot on ITV. The Wrestling Channel usually had enough leeway to show them in full (especially as it was the most watched programming) so quite often they were showing stuff from in between matches and even some parts of matches that never aired on TV before.